2012-2013/14 Short Dance News

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Feb 29, 2012.

1. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I think that was by far the most entertaining CD event ever. We had Boobleva, Domnina/Shabalin falling, the Greeks skipping parts of the pattern because it was too difficult (but still beating 2nd Azeris :rofl: ) and Bourzat snarking afterwards that the dance didn't require deep edges. :rofl:

2. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The Euros CD was :kickass: !! for sure.

I am so glad we are going to see the Finnstep again :swoon:
    All that quickstep bouncing is sure to produce more costume failure drama.

Beside, I loved R&K, and seeing the Finnstep scheduled always reminds me to go back and watch their Borsalino OD, from which the Finnstep was derived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieH0uk-cks

And it will be interesting as heck to see what the ISU picks for the key points. Will the tech panel need super slo mo instead of regular slo mo to watch? :rofl:

3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Wow, two of my favorites! Yankee Polka -- Shibs will OWN it! -- then the Finnstep for the Olympic year. Oh, yeahhhhh!!!!! Love the bouncing on toepicks!

4. Conga

Conga New Member

Why do you think an effort to get a younger audience is focused on the Juniors? Other than those that are already fans, who is going to pay any attention? I know that many of the posters here do not think it is important to try to "market" to new fans, but the ISU is at least aware that it is vital to the sport.

Now, I like the Yankee Polka and I love a good waltz, but we had waltz combinations in last season's SD and IIRC the Golden CD the season before. I would have liked to see something for the Senior SD that could pull in younger audiences (and I daresay that neither the concept nor the music selections for the Yankee will do it :slinkaway) and then move to the demanding Yankee or Finnstep for the Olympic year.

I will be watching the Juniors next season in hopes of seeing some fun swing and great blues programs and out of curiosity to see who is willing to include hip hop and can do it well.;)

5. Conga

Conga New Member

And do you think they will resurface the ice more frequently?:)

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

They'll have to plug-in the holes and ruts, for sure. I really enjoyed watching the Finnstep at Euros a couple of seasons ago. It would be wonderful of Rahkamo/Kokko may be present in Sochi, to witness their dance at an Olympics. What a turn of luck! I remember when R/K were asked to change their Polka OD (or OSP) during the 1991/92 Olympic season, because it was considered to be too risque.

As for Hip-hop....all I can say is: That theme kills beauty and glamour. They'll just wear dirty street clothes. 'Nuff said.

7. Conga

Conga New Member

Well, I doubt that the "dirty street clothes" will be without sparkle ;) But isn't that part of the problem with all these mashups of rhythm? How does one design a polka costume that works with a waltz? And although I vote for a single rhythm, I think maintaining a polka for the full SD would be quite a feat for most teams and we won't see it often.

8. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I remember speaking to the guy from the second AZE couple soon after this event. He told me they'd learned the CD from videos, and when they got to Euros and saw the others in practice sessions, realized they were doing it wrong. So they had to relearn the dance on the practice ice at the event itself.

9. Subway

Subway New Member

Hip hop dancers' clothes are as clean as anyone's.

Conga and (deleted member) like this.
  10. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

11. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

Perhaps this is what the Olympic Committee is going for :p They might be feeling that the attention on the OD was less in 2010 than it was in 2006 where we had the falls and skimpy outfits, and want to spice it up a little :)

12. MacombSk8rMom

MacombSk8rMom New Member

With so many teams training in Michigan, it would be great to see someone do some hip hop by Eminem, a Detroit area native.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdRVP6cx48M

"Love the Way You Lie" is great for the love/hate relationship going on in the lyrics. Lots of potential for drama!

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

So with the March rhythm, will there be some John Phillip Sousa music like the Stars and Strips Forever? If so I am thinking about a routine based on Stripes or Private Benjamin. Oo, how about a Star Wars Program (thinking Samuelson and Gilles since they tweeted about seeing it recently). Or a Peter and the Wolf March? Barnum and Bailey theme anyone? Are University Fight songs considered marching music?

I will take march music over polka anyday.

14. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

If it is marching, I want to see a couple dress as Mr Gumby and skate to the Liberty March, or better known as the Monty Python theme music.

They can get their heads stuck in the gate.

Or they could do a interpretive version of the Dead Parrot sketch.

16. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

It's going to be interesting to see how the skaters handle the Finnstep in 2014. As I recall, the year it was skated at Euros/4ccs, all the teams really struggled with it. I guess they will have almost a year to perfect it, but it is a very difficult dance.

17. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I would love for some team to do a hip hop/blues short dance in which they use a "clean" hip hop song and then skate to a blues song like "I Need A Little Sugar In My Bowl" (with lyrics like "I need a little sugar in my bowl, I need a little hot dog, on my roll"); "Big Long Slidin' Thing (supposedly about a trombonist); "Banana in Your Fruit Basket"("Let me put my banana in your fruit basket, then i'll be satisfied"); or "Big Ten Inch Record" (lyrics here).

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hey I already did this one last year for an artistic (the Queen Latifa version). Although I was thinking of resurrecting it for a solo freedance.

19. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, I'd forgotten about that. I feel so bad for her, but oh my goodness...right after they had finished, and everyone is clapping and there is maybe a whistle or two, and then they showed this shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7rwAgMg09v8#t=160s I just died. It's like all these old people are thinking, "The hussy, she just flashed us! How dare she!". :lol:

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

wrong thread.

21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I feel bad for what I said here. I was overly harsh. It's not that they weren't trying hard, and I appreciated the effort. I do like it when skaters try to do something more modern, musically, on ice. It's just that in general (not for everyone, but in general), it can be hard for someone who is trained in and focuses on ballet, and in ice dance, where upright, balletic posture is so important, to get down enough to do hip hop well. This isn't specific to Max and Nora.

22. tut88

tut88 Member

What kind of music would work for finstep ????
    is it associated with another dance ?? Like polka/walz this year ???
    thank you !

23. RUKen

RUKen Guest

I believe that it is based on the Quickstep ballroom dance.

24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

ISU Communication 1738, describing Short Dance Requirements for the 2013-2014 season:

The OD season that should look most like these SD's will is the 2004-2005 season, where the OD rhythms were quickstep, foxtrot & Charleston.

The result should resemble the 2008-2009 OD's (dances of 20's, 30's, & 40's), but without any waltzes.

Another season's OD's that should look kind of similar: the 2000-2001 season (Quickstep, Charleston, Foxtrot, March ) but without the March