2012-13 U.S. JGP Assignment Predictions/Speculation/Discussion

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Jun 1, 2012.

1. skfan

skfan New Member

thank you Sylvia.

2. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Chen vs Yan at Croatia. I'm probably looking forward to that more than I should. :EVILLE:

Smart, actually, IMO, no sarcasm. Josh has the scores (and score potential) to knock off all of those guys, even Han Yan potentially, although it will be interesting to see where Yan is at. With his score and his gold at Lake Placid the pressure is not on him as bad to make the JGPF.

Sending Jason to Turkey against a percieved "weaker" field is a good tactical move since he needs silver or better to qualify for JGPF. It also gives him a chance to get his skating back together after that little blip in Courchevel. But no field is weak. Remember, that was the tag given the Courchevel field as well, and plenty of people were expecting him to stroll off with that.

3. jlai

jlai Title-less

JGP Austria is supposed to be a weak men's field, yet the winner has the highest score thus far...

4. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I don't think there is. I looked at previous JGPF results as precedent and found 6 Russian dance teams one year, five russian pairs, and 5 US ladies in the JGPF in one season.

Also posted that in the US pairs forum and thought that this perhaps was a better place to post it. .... Side note, Calalang/Sidhu were a bit of a yawn; they're missing a spark, hopefully they get it by the end of the season.

5. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Zaitsev/Stevens are also options for the final JGP spot if DLM/Wilson don't get a second assignment.

6. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

True, true. Anyways Farris has the most tech of the American guys currently, so even though Chen's score was higher at his 1st JGP event, sending Josh to the field with the toughest lineup as a 2nd event is the most logical, though I suppose they could have avoided sending any of the potential JGPF qualifiers there too. Anyways, I'm curious to see if Jason's skating in Courchevel really was a blip (hopefully) or if it's more indicative of where he's at right now. I'm sure he's aware of the scores and programs put out by Josh and now Nathan and how his Courchevel programs and scores fell well below the benchmark those two set. Curious to see if he can close in that gap, or at least some of it, in Turkey and if he can get the 3a out successfully. Also, with some pressure off, I'm curious to see how Josh and Nathan skate at their 2nd events and if they keep the momentum going or scale things back a bit for the time being. So exciting this season!

7. skfan

skfan New Member

thank you. that makes it even more interesting :)

8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Does this mean that Vanessa will most likely not receive a second JGP? I'm assuming all of Angela, Hannah (though her jumps are bleh), and Samantha will get a second JGP invite. How many JGP spots does that leave for the ladies (three?)?

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

The last two JGPs are currently blank on USFS' International Assignments page, so that means there are 4 slots for men, ladies and dance, and up to 6 pairs slots, left to fill. Medalists that should receive 2nd assignments are Wang (bronze), Miller (silver), and Cesario (bronze) in ladies, Chen (gold) in men, and Aaron/Settlage (bronze) in pairs.

10. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

So does that mean there is only 1 extra ladies spot available right now? Interesting. Wonder who'll get it.

With three slots left in men, I would like to see Shotaro earn a second one, and for Troy and Jordan to get a shot at the international scene.

D'oh I don't know why I didn't think of them, I bet they'll get it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  11. jlai

jlai Title-less

Choate should get one for being fourth at Jgp France. Isnt Troy injured?

12. Stephanie

According to Sylvia's post in the K&C forum, Tomasello was supposed to compete in the St. Clair Shroes competition this past weekend.

13. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

If one of Keiser, Jiang or Long gets a medal, they will get a second assignment. If two or three of them medal... then bronze medalists may not be good enough...

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Even if Long medals, idk if they will wait that long to finalize the assignments. I think it will either go to Leah or Nina if one of them medals and then Vanessa if neither of them do. If Leah and Nina both medal, then idk what happens. Maybe they send Bell and/or Edmunds instead.

15. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Vanessa isn't an alternate for the last event so I doubt she's getting another.

I hope Zaitsev/Stevens get the last pairs spot.

16. Sylvia

FWIW, Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens have the highest summer competition total score (113 at Indy Challenge) of the age-eligible pairs yet to be assigned to a JGP.

Vanessa Lam is listed as a 'S' in the current ladies' roster for Chemnitz, Germany on the ISU site (but not in the Ladies' points standings table).

Polina Edmunds competed in the invitational U.S. Challenge Skate this past weekend and finished 2nd in Junior Ladies to Selena Zhao. Edmunds scored 47.54 (SP), 80.14 (FS), 127.68 total, and was credited with just 1 clean triple in her FS even though her overall performance came across very well to me on video. Her jumps in the FS detailed protocol were:
    3Lz+3T<, 3F<+3T<, 2A, 3Lo<<+2T+2Lo<<, 3F<, 2A, 3S<.

Mariah Bell was scheduled to compete in the Colorado Springs Invitational club comp. this past weekend but the official results haven't been published online yet.

ETA:
    Yasmin Siraj won the Senior Ladies event at Middle Atlantics club competition 2 weekends ago with a total score of 146.63. She reportedly skated a clean SP (56.00) with 3T+2T, 3F, 2A, and she rotated both 3Lz in her FS (90.63) - turned out of the 1st and hand down on the 2nd - landing 4 triples and two 2A.

The official results haven't been published online so I don't know whether or not he competed there.

17. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

She's not listed on the overall ladies page, which was updated more recently then that Germany one. http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2012/jgpsladies.htm

18. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I haven't read through all of the thread so I may have missed this somewhere earlier...but why is Courtney Hicks down for 3 JGPs this season? She was at Lake Placid but they've got her down for the fifth and sixth event as well.

Why is she getting three competitions? Or is it possible one of those slots will end up going to someone else?

19. Sylvia

Hicks is officially assigned to JGP #5 in Bled, Slovenia on USFS' International Assignments page: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
    She was originally given #6 Croatia as a placeholder assignment - that's why there's an extra 'X' next to her name in the table.

20. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Of this year's US JGP skaters, who will be competing as a Senior at Nationals?

21. Sylvia

LADIES: Barbie Long is currently the only one with an assignment who is staying Junior in the US
    MEN: Brown, Farris, Choate
    PAIRS: Denney/Frazier
    DANCE: none -- all are Junior this season

All the JGP singles skaters and teams will have to qualify for Nationals (ETA: Regionals in Oct. for singles skaters, Sectionals in Nov. for singles, pairs, dance) if they don't make the JGP Final.

22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Then why do Ashley Cain and Kiri Baga still have 4"S" entries, even though they did worse than Vanessa (placements wise)?

23. Stephanie

24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

25. Sylvia

I'm happy that "Divette" & Utah will make their JGP and international debut in Croatia but wish we were sending a 2nd dance team for extra experience as well (ETA: it looks like 6th place & higher in dance gets a 2nd JGP).

I assume Cesario is slotted into #7 Chemnitz, Germany and that the 3 pairs will be Simpson/Blackmer, Calalang/Sidhu, and Pfund/Reiss.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  26. skfan

skfan New Member

thank you for all the news, especially the news on yasmin and mariah. :)

27. feraina

feraina Active Member

Polina Edmunds was referred to in the IN article about the US Challenge Skate as not receiving a JGP assignment this year, but hoping to do well at US Nationals so as to get something next year. Mariah Bell is only in a slightly better boat. If both Leah and Nina bomb (lower than 4th) next weekend, maybe USFSA will send Vanessa and and Mariah to the last JGP. Otherwise, if at least one of them places 4th or higher, I think Mariah will not get an assignment. At this point, I think it unlikely of the USFSA to forego a second chance for a 4th-place finisher to give Mariah one JGP. If she skates well at US Nationals, though, and she really should given how many are moving up to seniors and how solid her jumps have become this season, then I think she should be in a good position to receive assignments next year. It's really too bad though that someone as talented as her has to wait until she turns 17 before getting sent to a JGP...

Next year will be another terribly competitive year for US ladies on the JGP, with no seniors or juniors likely to retire. I have a feeling though that Mariah Bell and Karen Chen will end up replacing Nina Jiang, with her inconsistent jumping, and Barbie Long, with her low PCS. Maybe also Vanessa Lam, her bad jumping/skating technique doesn't look likely to survive any more growth.

At least Russia's super-talented junior lady pool is finally looking to dry up a little bit. Elena is likely to move up go GP's next year (final year for a 14-year-old to skate in GP's, right?), and none of the upcoming Russian juniors look nearly as intimidating as Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaya, and Radionova, when they were 10, 11, 12. Nobody coming up in Russia is like that now. US junior ladies should be doing better in the next quadrennium.

28. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Actually, I think Mariah and Polina are out of luck, sorry to say. Cesario will get one of the assignments, and either Keiser (if she's better than 4th) or Vanessa will probably get the other. (Or Jiang, if she does better than expected.)

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I can't rest well until Cesario's second assignment is confirmed.

30. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

At this point, Cesario I would think is a pretty safe bet. I don't think they can wait to confirm event #7 (Germany) much longer, they probably will have to confirm entries before event #5 (Slovenia) takes place. (This means that Long probably wont get a second event no matter how well she does on her first.) The Germany entries will probably be Cesario, and one of Keiser, Jiang or Lam.