2012-13 Schedule for International Figure & Synchronized Skating Competitions

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by YukiNieve, May 15, 2012.

1. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

ISU just announced the schedule for the international competitions for 2012-13.

ISU Communications No.1727
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3498

My question is what is Medal Winners Open on October 5, 2012?
    (How is it related to Japan Open on October 6?)

Japan Open will be held on the same weekend as Ondrej Nepela
    and Finlandia. It will be a busy weekend. ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Good to to see the new U.S. Senior B, September 13–16, in Salt Lake City, Utah listed!

3. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

My twitter friend told me that Medal Winners Open could be an open competition for both professional and armature skaters
    that she heard about in a seminar. It invites Worlds and Olympic Games medalists from the past. Not sure.

I also heard about such a competition a long time ago... :lol:
    So will it be actually happening? :confused:

4. midori

midori Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a pro-am competition, which was discussed here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79110

However its site says it will debut in 2013 spring, so perhaps it is different?
    http://www.icechampionship.com/

5. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

From what I heard, this competition is an interpretive free skate type of thing, where the limit of jumps is something like 3. Remember back to the 1999-2002 Olympic cycle, these competitions were happening nearly every week (Grand Slam, Masters, Canadian Open, even the old Japan Open, etc.) I don't know if there are two portions to the competition or just this one interpretive free skate.

6. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Please remind me how Senior B assignments work for the host country. (I haven't paid much attention in recent years, since we haven't had hosted one recently in the US).

Are we capped on how many USA competitors can compete at the Senior B "U.S. Senior International" competition in September in SLC? If yes, is the max 3 entries per discipline?

If we aren't limited on how many USA competitors can compete at "U.S. Senior International"... are the USA entries determined solely by US Figure Skating?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

8. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Great - thank you! I tried a search and it failed to find the thread for me.

9. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Now to decide between attending the Senior B in Salt Lake City or Skate America in Kent, WA. No way to do both since I plan to attend Nationals in January.

10. lily

lily Active Member

Excited about Medal Winners Open! Maybe we can see Lambiel or Buttle compete again? They anyway don't come back like many others.

11. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

Has anyone noticed that Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds are just one week apart? It looks like the ISU Junior/Senior decision has been made. It would be very difficult for a skater to do Junior Worlds in Milan (perhaps have to qualify) get on a plane to Canada, possibly have to qualify and compete just 7 days later.

12. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

According to an article in Japanese newspaper,

The Japan Skating Federation had an executive meeting and decided to hold an ISU-sanctioned "Medal Winners Open." That is:

- 5 ladies and men, both professional & amateur skaters, who earned Olympic or World Championship medals
    - Only free programs
    - ISU judges will score the performance mainly in terms of presentation. Jumps will not be judged.
    - Competitors can use show lighting and music with vocals for their programs.

http://sp.mainichi.jp/m/news.html?cid=20120524k0000m050001000c

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  13. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I'm ok with this approach, especially if the US can see it on television and/or through the internet... I'll be more enthusiastic once we see the line up!

Anything has to be better than the Disson skaters-and-a-bunch-of-washed-up-bands-with-far-too-many-cheesy-sponsor-and-Pandora-plug "shows" that we've been watching our pros on lately.