2012-13 Program Music & Choreographer news/info

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Domnina/Shabalin skated five programs to music by Russian composers, music with which a lot of people brought up in Soviet times would have been very familiar, given the very rich tradition of classical music and ballet telecasts: two waltzes by Shostakovich, Borodin's Polovtsian Dances from "Prince Igor," and Khachaturian's "Spartacus" and "Masquerade Waltz." Four of these programs were in the three seasons from 2006-2009.

Surely the Shibs weren't the only couple to use folk music from their own country or culture in both the 2007-8 and 2009-10 folk OD's.

2. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the programme, but it doesn't sound very promising. Perhaps if they wanted to do a programme to Japanese music they could have used something written by a Japanese composer....:shuffle:

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Or Cohen's Dark Eyes.

4. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

BUT: These pieces and D/S programs were all quite different from each other. The librettos behind "Prince Igor", "Spartacus" and then their own story to "Masquerade Waltz" are completely different and certainly do not tell the same story.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:wall:

I'd think that the disgusting cultural appropriation involved in the book and the film would piss the Japanese people if anything.

Kerrs had tons of character on the ice, before they started working with him.

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I can think of two teams: DelSchoes who did a Breton dance in 2008 and a can-can in 2010, which is not at all the same thing; and F/S, who IIRC used dances and music from different regions in Italy each time.

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

But how many people complained that D/S used Russian music in a general sense? If anything, they should have used Russian music for their 2010 programs as both their OD and FD were disasters.

To that, I agree with. The choreographer sounds promising, although he probably went to Memoirs of a Geisha because he worked on the film.

8. allezfred

She. ;)

Have to say that out of all the traditional Japanese art forms, I find Japanese dance to be very dull. :shuffle:

9. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with the fact that the book and the film have huge issues. But considering that several Japanese skaters have done Memoirs of a Geisha programs and have performed those programs in Japanese ice shows, it seems like rather a stretch to assume that this music pisses the Japanese people off.

10. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Yes, Awa-odori would be a lot more fun. ;):p

11. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah! I think there should be some dance team out there that can handle "Back in Black" and "You Shook Me All Night Long."

12. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Ooooooo I would lurve to see those songs handled, but I alas, I can't believe it would happen.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Pj Kwong tweeted from Skate Canada's High Performance Camp today:

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Huh, I actually like Chan's choices.

Really excited for V&M's SD and the FD too actually. Hopefully there will be more details as to what version of Carmen.

15. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Wonder if Chan has turned his Elegie Ex into a SP?

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I would expect the Shibs' FS from five seasons ago and their program this year to the same music to be quite different from each other.

"La Boheme" -- not what I would have expected from Chan. I hope the SP is very much like his exquisite exhibition from Worlds.

17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm curious about that waltz, and how they intend to make it work with the Yankee Polka.

I'm not at all curious about Carmen.

18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yes, and Platov was wise to keep them in that vein! Shibs were developing some interesting stuff prior to the move to Detroit (2008?), although they were young . . . and Marina gave them a tango FD (for a young teenaged brother & sister???) and two big-band FDs. I'll grant you that there were some awkward years there--post-kid-cute but pre-adult maturity, and where the height difference was difficult--but they've always had great skating and performance skills, and we now know that they actually have some PERSONALITY (thank you, goofy vids). So why not show it off, Marina??

19. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

This is very likely the waltz music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M57Fi19vcSI

It's a stunningly beautiful piece of music, and I can actually see the YP working with certain parts of it.

sbanet and (deleted member) like this.
  20. sbanet

sbanet Well-Known Member

That is really nice. :rollin:

...it would be a bit of a shame to chop it up into a Yankee Polka although it might possibly work - however I think "And the Waltz Goes On' would be great for a waltz section of a SD or as part of a Free Dance.

21. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I'm not too great with beat and rhythm, but I think there are some parts in there that would work for the YP...

I wish they were using this for their FD.

22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Interesting choice for Chan.:rollin:

Sooo beautiful, gives me goosebumps.

Doing the happy dance now.:cheer:

23. iris81

iris81 New Member

Is it Puccini's opera or Aznavour's song?

24. allezfred

So it's official that Zoueva is completely out of ideas. :rofl:

25. Theatregirl1122

The waltz was an idea. She clearly ran out after that. :p

Do we know what the Shibs SD is? I can't remember if I forgot. :lol:

26. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

PJ confirmed on Twitter that Patrick's SP was choreographed by Jeff Buttle.

27. Theatregirl1122

I'm totally excited for this. Jeff's choreography is so much more interesting for Patrick than Lori's is.

28. Lis

Lis Active Member

Me too really like Jeffs Choreography.Can't wait to see this !

29. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Regarding the Shibs, seems there is a big potential difference performing to a piece of music when one is 12 years old Novice versus when one is 18 and a senior. The potential to highlight a dramatic and lyrical style with this rich and haunting music should let them show a different side than they have as seniors internationally, and should really suit them well. They compete at NHK and presumably also Four Continents, which will be in Japan as well. Would expect fans in attendance to be supportive and enthusiastic about them and their music choice.

I found the article really well written and informative. They never revealed during the season that Alex suffered from a back injury during the time of Four Continents and Worlds that interfered with training. From photos, it looks like he has addressed this by packing on some serious muscles. I believe they have said he gained muscle weight intentionally. A logical approach to a back injury when lifting is involved.

Tachibana seems to understand that they are trying to adapt everything she specializes in into the world of ice dance, which is obviously very "different." They are still so young. Lots of years ahead of them to develop and grow. Looking forward to hearing about Short dance music too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    Quadloop and (deleted member) like this.
  30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Aznavour's song was the first piece that came to my mind when I read the news but I have the feeling Chan will be skating to Puccini's music though.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.