2012-13 Program Music & Choreographer news/info

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Mao is working with Lori for her Ex. Lori seems to give some of her best work nowadays to Mao (and Carolina). Mao's Jupiter Ex was probably the best exhibition Lori has done since Michelle's Dante's Prayer...that's what it reminded me of. Stunningly beautiful program...

I'd like to see Lori do an LP for Mao as well. I love Liebstraume and I think it's Mao's best LP to date but after two seasons, it's time to move onto something else. I think the Mao + Lori combo can turn out another masterpiece. TAT did Mao's Sceherazade SP and I can honestly say it was the first good competitive program TAT's ever done for Mao (IMO, anyway). I liked the different take on the music and Mao had some nice performances of it. Hopefully if Mao goes back to TAT for her SP, TAT will come up with something good...we'll have to wait and see.

Who choreographed Kanako's SP? It was one of my favorites this season...Zueva again?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Tweeted by Alexandra Paul ( @alexandrapaul_ ) today:
    "Check out "The Legend of 1900," a very interesting & unique movie. @mitchislam & I are skating to pieces from it for our FD this season! :)"

Ennio Morricone is the composer.

3. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I loved the movie and the book!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_1900 :)

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

This AND get better programs. His SP this season was just so-so and the costume was super distracting, and that jazzy Umbrellas FS was just a hot-mess of a program, not a good vehicle for him at all IMO. If Kozuka is on-form, he will definitely beat Oda, he is clearly superior, Oda only has a chance if Kozuka continues to falter IMO, unless Oda makes a big artistic breakthrough and starts doing quads in his SP on a regular basis. Even then, Kozuka is still better for me. I think Kozuka needs to take the 4t out of his SP though, unless his consistency on that jump has improved a lot. He needs to be trying it in the FS to be competitive, but he is a strong enough skater that leaving out of the SP shouldn't kill his chances. Falling on the 4t in the FS is not a big deal, but if he's going to be falling on it or URing/2ft-ing it in the SP, he's better off going for 3lz-3t and bank on a clean skate. Anyone else agree? Maybe things have changed, but I still feel like for a good skater like Kozuka, you need to try at least one quad in the FS, but doing one in the SP is not an absolute must, it's a plus if you can do it, but like Abbott, his 4t does not seem so consistent that he should be putting it in the SP.

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm glad people are starting to look at Morricone scores beyond the obvious Cinema Paradiso/The Mission. I look forward to seeing what they'll do with it :)

6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW_ebEHmia0 (U2's instrumental version)

Richard must like the music and the song, perhaps. There isn't a lot of variation in the music, so the choreography will be make or break. It's his first choice of music so obviously he's trying it out and it's still early -- the new season is months away. Of course his selection is not your typical music for skating, but unless you've seen Richard's choreo and practices, or understand why he made the choice, why judge so harshly? In any case, we don't know which instrumental version he's chosen. I wish Richard fun, luck, success in the new season :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzeDqRhM09w With or Without You lyrics

7. aftershocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ToDBmcQ0w&feature=fvst

Lovely and interesting choice -- can't wait to see their skate :)

I think the odd note is in there because the song represents life, and although life is near perfect, there are a few imperfections in us all, and we should address them :) words from a youtube poster re this music

8. reut

reut Active Member

9. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanako_Murakami

Tarasova did it again. I think that Tatiana is really great with the short programs to be honest. SP's are loaded with tricks which tat is great at. Her free skates are not the best which as an ice dance coach shocks me. They are usually very end to end skating. I do agree that Mao has a good recipe with TAT for short and Lori for long.

10. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

From the most recent Sarah and Drew Blog:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I posted a video link to Wesley Campbell's new "Bolero" SP as performed at this past weekend's Colonial FSC show in the Club & Benefit Shows thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3567027&postcount=42

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  12. nana7045

nana7045 New Member

That wiki information is not correct.
    Kanako's SP was made by her coach Mihoko Higuchi.
    Tarasova made SP for Kanako last summer, but Kanako did not skate it.

13. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I don't know, I thought the "Ladies in Lavender" SP was really nice.

14. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Nice. That's a signature program, glad she is keeping it.

15. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Morricone has an astounding library of film scores. Many styles in one composer.

Almost can't go wrong with him. "L'Arena" was a strong SP for a gorgeous US pair a few years ago - cannot recall names, they won the national title but had trouble with injuries.

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Brooke Castile and Ben Okolski - it was their SP in the 2007-08 season.

International Figure Skating's Facebook page mentioned last week that "Daisuke Murakami and Kiira Korpi are also in Toronto this week working on new programs."

Artur Gachinski and Liza Tuktamysheva are scheduled to fly to Canada on May 13 to have programs choreographed by David Wilson in Toronto - link to the earlier thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83478

17. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'm wondering if he'll use the Vitamin String Quartet version. I think it's :swoon:.

18. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I wonder which song.. it's polka.. 'The Lonely Goatherd?' I liked the Duschesnays' 1992 OSP to that.

20. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I adored his Charlie Chaplin program and think it really was his best program since Super Mario Bros. (lol, loved that one). Chaplin really worked for him.

Speaking of Charlie Chaplin, I want someone to skate to the score for the awesome silent film that is The Artist. Most specifically, to the music from the movie's big dance number. Lots of amazing music in the movie (hence the reason it won the Oscar for best score).

Dammit, whenever I go to that clip I have to rewatch it multiple times because I adore Jean Dujardin so damn much.

21. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

OMG yes. All of the music from that movie screams SKATE TO ME ♥__♥

22. masofs

masofs New Member

ITA. I love that soundtrack and when I listen to it I always imagine someone skating to it. :swoon:

23. aftershocks

Ohhh, that's :cool: Thanks for posting! Classical meets U2 :) Will be kickin' to see Ricky D skating to this, if indeed, this is the version he's selected.

24. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I listened to several (but not all) of the tracks form this Score on youtube, and this track -- The Legend of the Pianist -- seems like an obvious choice for them as well from Morricone's "The Legend of 1900" score.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcofLYYH1yY&feature=related .

There's a lot going on with the score across different tracks... so it'll be very interesting to see what is peiced together for Paul/Islam. But the track above I can see really helping to showcase their line, stretch, and relationship to each other.

25. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

There's a clearer - less obstructed - video of this program to date at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLefuG8LQC4 as well. Robert Mauti mentioned on facebook he created the program to meet the second week challenge of the "Young Artist Showcase" -- so this is in the choreography focused stage and not for competition -- but Wesley/coach liked it so much it will be worked into his IJS short program.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Rochelle, thanks for posting the link to Robert Mauti's YAS3 video tribute to Alvin Ailey (Wesley Campbell's "Bolero" SP) -- the link is cross-posted in the Young Artists Showcase thread in GSD (post #12).

Tiffany Vise ‏( @icetiff ) tweeted on May 13:
    I forgot to mention earlier that Richard Dornbush had tweeted on April 3, 2012:
    I assume he was referring to his new SP choreographed to U2's "With Or Without You."

New interview titled "Creating programs: Hugo Chouinard talks music": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120515&content_id=31327706&vkey=ice_news
    Chouinard was involved in Weaver/Poje's "Je Suis Malade" FD, Daisuke Takahashi's short program, Virtue/Moir's "Funny Face" FD, and Takahashi/Tran's "Concerto de Québec" FS, among other programs.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  27. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Any relation to Josee Chouinard?

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

From Sarah and Drew twitter

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Now that's an intriguing choice of choreographer for Rippon -- Michael Seibert is a former Stars on Ice tour choreographer and a 5-time U.S. National ice dance champion with Judy Blumberg.

ETA: @dscclub also tweeted today that Denney/Coughlin are visiting Detroit Skating Club this week to work with choreographer Pasquale Camerlengo.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  30. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I shall go to spy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.