2012-13 Program Music & Choreographer news/info

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's never too early to start compiling the new season's program music and choreographer news items into one thread, right? ;)

Pasquale Camerlengo is currently in Russia working on choreography with Plushenko; David Wilson will be choreographing programs for both Artur Gachinski and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva in May -- see this post with article links in the Russian news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3557315&postcount=109

Confirmed so far with source links included:

Gracie Gold (USA)
    SP: Hernando's Hideaway
    FS: Life is Beautiful soundtrack
    Choreographer: Scott Brown
    Original source was Phil Hersh's April 6 article.

Caydee Denney/John Coughlin (USA)
    SP: Swing music
    FS: Phantom of the Opera
    Choreographer: Pasquale Camerlengo
    Source: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120418&content_id=28986988&vkey=ice_news

Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier (CAN)
    SD: Mary Poppins
    Source thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3554068#post3554068

Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt (USA)
    FD: "Turning Tables" and "Rumor Has It" by Adele
    They announced it today (4/27) on their official site: http://www.lynnandlogan.com/main/our-201213-free-dance-music/

Caroline Zhang has a new FS that was choreographed by David Wilson in late March - source: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120411&content_id=28410234&vkey=ice_news
    She is reportedly keeping her "Rushing Wings of Dawn" SP (hearsay info).

Article about the process of finding program music - includes quotes from John Kerr, Adam Rippon, Jonathan Cassar, Ashley Wagner, and Paul Parkinson: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120423&content_id=29454848&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

3. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

So do I! Her performance of it in San Jose made my eyes tears up. I can believe we're already getting news of new programs. It seems like the season just ended . Pretty soon, it'll be time for summer comps.:D

4. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

As most, I am a renewed fan of Zhang, but I never really saw any "Choreography" in either of her programs...

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

As Adele is British, it's "Rumour Has It". :)

6. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

IA, it wasn't a choreographic masterpiece but it was still moving nonetheless (at least to me).

7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Oh I LOVE Lynn & Logan's FD music! That program should be pretty awesome! :cheer:

8. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I like K-GS, but I really don't want them to go the way of Navarro and Bommentre, who plateaued technically and stylistically by sticking to a similar style of program every season.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Tweeted by @RichardDornbush today (re. his new SP music):
    I'm skating to an instrumental of "With or Without You", U2, originally.

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wonder if he's ever going to use that instrumental "Sixteen Tons" number that he scrapped. I've always wanted to see that.

11. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I hope it's not an "elevator music" quality instrumental...if it is, I'm already falling asleep.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh dear :scream:.

I am finding it hard to imagine a worse music choice. :wall:

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

At least it's the SP...

14. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

ITA

Kim and Brent always gave me that impression, that at the end of their career they skated even to the same music (though they did not)

I love Lynn and Logan creative style and lifts, so hoping they can keep it up

:)

15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

iTunes has three instrumental versions. One with lots of drum beats. One a very dismal piano version (from an album of "romantic piano music"). And one "in the style of U2" but with a synthesizer.

I can't imagine what I played of any of them making a good skating program. :scream:

16. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

NavBomms ODs were always more interesting than their FD's IMO. :shuffle:

K/G-S are also better technical skaters than NavBomms ever were. Their biggest "weakness" is really having just okay speed. I'm hoping that is the area they really work on during the off-season.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

@SarahandDrew just tweeted that "Nobunari Oda was in Colorado last week getting a new short program [choreographed by Tom Dickson] - it looked gorgeous!"

ETA: I forgot to mention this tidbit from Sarah/Drew's April 2, 2012 "Ice Chips" blog:

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wow. I LOVE K/G-S's choice in Free Dance music. I'll really be looking forward to see that one.

Dornbush's selection is skary sounding.

I'm also happy that Zhang is keeping the SP. With (even) more speed and a steady 3-3 combo she could find herself on GP podiums this year.

19. nana7045

nana7045 New Member

According to his interview in April, Nobu's new programs will be choreographed by Tom Dickson (SP) and Lori Nichol (FS).

Dickson is the exciting choice!
    Then, Lori.....umm...:confused:

I got some new information about Japanese skaters.

Kanako Murakami will go to USA to make new SP and Ex in May(no information about the choreographer), and FS will be made by Zueva again.
    http://japanskates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=507#507

Mao will make new Ex program with Lori in May, but not decided anything about the competition program so far:(
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20120429-00000011-sanspo-spo

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I had forgotten about him :scream:

I guess, with Kozuka's jumping issues this season, the possibility of Oda beating him out for a spot on the world team next season can not be ruled out. But then again, now that both Kozuka and Hanyu have won World medals, it really makes Oda the odd one out.

21. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I think Oda will be fine- as long as he remembers how many triple toes he can do in one program!

22. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

He's screwed :scream:

23. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Oda needs to find his style like SOON!!! I can’t say I know who he is as an artist. As a technician he’s quite defined. I’ve heard interviews where Lori has put the ball back in the court of a skater when they give her the description of what they want to skate like by asking who THEY are. It could be a good thing. I sure hope so because the Seb. Brittain numbers were not super with the exception of last years sp. I liked that.

24. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Wonder when she will be in Canton. I will def stop by to spy. was there this week and it was pretty exciting. Zueva is in person so NOT the Diva she portrays. Super warm and genuinely appreciative of complements.

25. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

After two years with David Wilson, Brian Joubert is reportedly planning to go back to DenStavs for his new programs - no word on music except it's not going to be The Matrix :D

Meanwhile, Florent Amodio is asking for music suggestions. Won't someone please think of the children and save us from another season of tackiness? I realize this is probably wishful thinking...

AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

:rofl:
    Anyway... Go Oda!!!!

27. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Most likely, "I'm Sexy and I Know It!" Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle,wiggle.....:p

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From this Takahashi/Tran article (May 6)
    Here's a recent interview with Julie Marcotte: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120416&content_id=28824112&vkey=ice_news

29. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry but I couldn't help it.

Sounds like an interesting contrast. I approve.:)

30. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

From this year's Turandor FS to next season's POTO. So original in their musical selections! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.