2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

2. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

You are right that they will continue to select from the top 5 of the SB, but Osmond is in that top 5 now. Therefore, she can be considered.

3. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ If Kexin Zhang is out, will Mirai frickin finally get her 2nd GP? The way of picking skaters for GPs out of the alternates list is messed up. Has it always been like this?

4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Nagasu is passed over for Osmond this time.

5. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I'm rooting for Osmond, if only for sheer hilarity.

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

If Mirai goes without a 2nd GP, she will have time to focus on training, and maybe it will stoke the fires to produce good results. That will be a good thing.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Then read the whole quote and don't take it out of context. :confused:

I am still furious about the Mirai situation. Grrrr.

8. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

This is just so irritating. The ISU should be assigning skaters to GPs. You can't claim your GP series to be for top ranked skaters when you allow the hosts to have a say in the picks. It's just killing some of the prestige of the whole thing. If a host can't afford the travel costs of the assigned skaters, then don't host. I tend to doubt that a country would refuse to host just because they have to invite Mirai to their competition instead of Gao or Glebova. UGH. Why must the ISU be so inept.

9. SUN

SUN New Member

Which result puts her in the top 5?
    For the GP selections only the ISU Championships and Junior and Senior GP SB count. International competitions count for the World Standings only.

10. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

SUN- Kaetlyn's score from Junior Worlds puts her in the top 5 SB score of those on the alternate list yet to be assigned to 2 GP events, which is what they are choosing from.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Ladies on last season's ISU Season Best scores list with 1 or 0 GP assignments as of right now: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtslto.htm
    [8 Czisny USA (NHK) - requested only 1 due to her injury/surgery]
    11 Nagasu USA (China)
    38 Flatt USA (Skate America)
    41 Osmond CAN (Skate Canada)
    44 Glebova EST (TEB, selected as alternate)
    46 McCorkell GBR (none)

Have received a 1st or 2nd GP assignment as an alternate (not host pick):
    14 Korpi FIN (China)
    15 Biryukova RUS (China)
    19 Shelepen RUS (Canada)
    30 Gao USA (TEB)
    35 Lacoste CAN (China)
    37 J. Helgesson SWE (TEB)
    44 Glebova EST (TEB)

Kexin Zhang's China and TEB spots opened up yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Please anyone but Flatt. She does not deserve a second GP event. I was really looking forward to this season with the mix of older veterans and new girls competing but with all these injuries and pullouts its not looking as exciting as i thought it was going to be. Injuries i can understand but someone like Kotsner not competing is rather strange since you would think she would want to show that last season was not a fluke and keep her momentum going. As for Ando who knows what's going on with her because i can't see someone like her not being able to get a coach.

13. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Agree with this, this season's GP is beginning to look pretty boring. The number of injuries and pullouts is ridiculous.

14. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Honestly the only one who deserves it at this point is Nagasu. As much as everyone love Osmond at the moment, Mirai is the only skater in the top 20 SB list that doesn't have 2 GPs. It's a joke that there is such a huge gap between Mirai and the next available alternate on the GP list (which is Flatt at 38, who had an below mediocre 2011-2012 season). How many times has she been passed over now for an alternate spot? 3 times?

I can't believe the French want to play such a stupid game with GP alternates when their skaters don't have a chance in hell of medalling at TEB.

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Do you know Kostner personally? How can you judge someone if you don't really know her? I hate when people are criticising skaters for their decisions even without knowing what was the reason behind that decision. (E.g. people here were criticising Asada for staying in Japan and not being willing to train abroad and only later we learned that her mother was seriously ill!)

My guess would be that Kostner had a really hard time with her boyfriend's doping problems this summer, so she may have spent a lot of time supporting him in his hard time and maybe she did not fully concentrate on training, which is quite understandable in that situation. Skaters use the summer for getting new programs; if she couldn't give skating her full attention, maybe it is better if she takes her time and comes to Europeans and Worlds, rather than competing at GP events with only half ready programs.

16. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Thanks!!!!!!! I totally agree with you.

17. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

This !!!!:respec:

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Michelle qualified for the GP final one year although she competed in only one GP event. She, however, elected not to compete. Mirai, think more positively!!!! lol

19. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I don't think that is possible any more...?

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's very unlikely but as possible now as it was back then.

21. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

It's actually not possible. The ISU did not want people to be able to qualify for the final after only competing in one event, so they changed how many points you earn for placing at events for the next season (after Michelle qualified having competed in only one event). At that time, you got 12 points for winning an event. Now, you get 15, and the scale of points is higher all the way down. It is now mathematically impossible to make the final having competed in only one event.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ah yes of course. I forgot about the point changes, thanks for pointing that out.

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

C'mon, guys, replace Kexin Zhang before it's too late and you only have nine ladies in each of those events...

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Hopefully they are on it.

25. demetriosj

Don't have access to Kiss and Cry, so please excuse if this has already been discussed there.
    Why does Gracie G have a BYE through UGL Regionals? I thought if your international was within 7 days of your Regional, you get a BYE. UGL ends Oct 16 and Skate Canada starts on Oct 26. Have the rules changed recently, or have I missed something? Plus she's not even flying overseas, so I am confused.

26. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Recently, skaters with 2 GP events have had byes to nationals. I don't know of the specific rule that specifies this, but it's been the case for the last few years, at least.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

^^^ I believe Rule 2473 in the USFS rulebook applies in this situation.

There's a thread in the Trash Can on this topic: US Skaters with Byes to Nationals 2013

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  28. demetriosj

Thanks, confused because a poster over at Goldenskate Forums that skates at Gracies' rink, and always seems to have an "in" on things, was posting a few days back that Gracie indeed was going to have to skate at her regional, unlike Mirai who does not.

29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Since a skater can't get to the gp final by winning only one gp event, it strikes me as strange that they don't let all skaters participate in two events. It hardly seems fair to let a skater compete in only one event, knowing full well they won't have a chance to get to the final now. What other sport has this kind of competition where you are already eliminated before you start?:rolleyes:

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Places are limited because the resources are limited. If you want two spots, you have to earn them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.