2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

what has mirai as a senior for medals?

2 grand prix medals (both silver) and one bronze of 4cc?

i´m not a mirai fan nor a hater,

but her last season wasn´t the best. biryukova got 166 points at Rostelecom Cup, Mirai 172 and 150 in points in her Grand Prix. So in average, none of them was really better than the other last season.

mirai was happy to face a weak field in China, biryukova would have one silver with her 166 points there too.

mirai was great junior skater with great olympics but struggled the last 2 seasons, so that´s where she is now. biryukova is younger and showed equal performances last year. so seems like their face to face now, with mirai surely having more fans here and worldwide and is more famous.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes. There was a post yesterday by Eislauffan in this thread.

ETA that it was post #821:

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Biryukova was 15th on the SB list (compared to Nagasu's 11th), and her PB was only 7+ points lower than Nagasu's. It was almost as outrageous that she wasn't given a CoC shot the first few times one opened as it has been that Nagasu was never chosen for Paris.

The ISU almost had it right when it wrote, but then ignored, the sentence about giving Top 24 SB skaters priority, and they would have had it right if they set the groups of five up front, with Top 24 skaters given priority in the top (or Top 2) group(s), didn't move anyone in and out of groups unless a skater withdrew from their one event or quit (for at least the season), and only skipped skaters and went to the group below if the remaining skaters weren't eligible -- already there, skaters from that country maxxed out, back-to-back long-haul trips declined by skater/skater's Fed -- or the visa issues became impossible.

To say this is unfair to the Feds, it's similar to the way the regular selections work: if you're the last Fed to choose from each group, you pay for that skater/team's costs, whether you're transporting them from Detroit or Shanghai to Windsor, for example.

The whole idea of limiting the fields to the "best of the best," high GP minimums, and a ranked substitutions list is, allegedly, to raise the quality of the fields. By reducing the numbers, they've already saved the hosts 17-20%. The hosts shouldn't be allowed to go far down the list to dilute the fields, too.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From Golden Skate's Finlandia recap article:

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

So much for my theory that she might want only one to avoid breaking up her semester :eek:

If she were assigned to TEB or another GP, could she withdraw from Ice Challenge? Or is that not done?

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I don't see why not. Ice Challenge currently gets Flatt out of competing at Midwestern Sectionals, so if she were assigned a 2nd GP, that would/should accomplish the same thing.

7. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

So Nagasu has been passed up at TEB three times now, for Gao, J Helgesson and now Glebova. If they pass her up again when replacing K Zhang, that will be 4 times.

8. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I suspect TEB with go with another European skater. It is just so much cheaper to bring someone in from Europe than North America.

9. toddlj

But Gao and Glebova both train in North America. So what was the excuse for that?

10. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

I don't think it's just strictly a travel costs issue -- after all, as someone pointed out, France opted to not use one of their host picks.

My theory -- and this is pure speculation -- is that TEB, for whatever reason, is trying to create a mini-Euros in the Ladies.

That doesn't really explain Gao getting a spot there, but I think it does explain with Helgesson and Glebova got them.

11. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Gao was assigned in the initial pool of skaters, IIRC. Glebova...hmmm, can't explain that one, other than she trains in New Jersey, correct? I am assuming cheaper flights direct from the east coast (that would hold true for Gao as well as she is in Boston), rather than the west coast for Nagasu.

Just for kicks, pulled up Expedia airfares from LAX to Paris, cheapest fare runs about $1,100.00. And, about $800 from NY to Paris. European skater will probably get the nod is my bet.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

No she wasn't. She was a replacement.

13. toddlj

Agreed.

B.Cooper, check the first post on this thread, you'll see Gao wasn't on the original list. At some point, the French Fed chose Gao over Nagasu. No idea why.

14. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

For the record:

Yretha's spot was given to Joshi Helgesson.
    Carolina's spot was given to Zijun Li first then later to Christina Gao.
    Miki's spot, as we all know, was given to Elena Glebova.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  15. tkaug

tkaug Member

Joshi Helgesson. Viktoria Helgesson already had 2 spots.

16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the clarification. If it's not by special request, I'll agree, it's certainly odd...

Although, I find this language kinda weird:

Almost makes it sound as if she INITIALLY went for one, then regretted that decision later on??? whatever I suppose.

I thought there was a rule that you had to choose the highest-ranked skater from a substitute list unless there was a legit reason not to (injury, already has 2 events, etc.)? It's sounding like the host nations have free reign (outside the country limit rule) to pick whomever they want...

17. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Or it's just a translation error.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Posted on August 8 in this thread:
    Then, soon after, Li's name was scratched out (she ended up filling Cup of China's TBA host pick) and I posted:
    "I don't know when the GP Ladies PDF update was published but the latest version dated August 10 does include [Christina] Gao's name with the "(new)" designation for TEB."
    Mae Berenice Meite was on the original TEB roster. Yrethe Silete's name removed only last month and her spot was given to Joshi Helgesson.

Everything is documented in this thread. :)

19. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Thanks, Sylvia. I got mixed up clearly--so many roster changes! Will edit my post for accuracy.

ETA: My original list I have from when the assignments were first posted doesn't have Mae Bernice on it. I assume she was quickly named as the third France TBD that is on that list, yes?

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I don't see what is unclear about,

"However, Nagasu regretted having just one Grand Prix event so far."

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Glebova at TEB is easy to explain. French skaters can beat her. :p

It was down to 10 singles last year. And Ice Dance down to 8. IIRC.

23. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Uhm...no. The other skaters were asked about making the Grand Prix final this season and she said that, having one GP, she's never going to make it, although she would have liked to have a second one.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

You're right! Meite was added to fill France's TBA at TEB on Sept. 5 -- link to my post with the updated GP rosters as of Sept. 4: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3675078#post3675078

It's all documented in this thread (but a pain to wade through all the pages! ;)).

25. SUN

SUN New Member

I am not quite sure if Osmond can be considered now. Winning in Oberstdorf gave her the opportunity to be included in the list of alternates, but not at the top. They will still continue to select from the top 5 of the SB.

As for the airfare factor (Glebova training in USA), there is a rule that the GP organizers pay for the air tickets from/to the country the skater represents. They may but not obliged to pay for the ticket from/to the countries where they train.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

27. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

So do we know for sure that Glebova repplaced Miki?

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

That's what I'm referring to.

30. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Had she still been with Frank Carroll, a cold phone would have been enough to secure 2 spots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.