2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You highly overestimate Nagasu's ability to sell tickets. I'd bet that most TEB ticket buyers have no clue who she is. :p

And even speaking from a perspective of a crazy skating fan who follows everything, Nagasu would definitely NOT make an event any more attractive to me. I perceive her as a dead-in-the-water, not-improving-any-more, way-past-it skater. I highly doubt, she's going to make the 4CC and World teams this season.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

What if you really like good laybacks. I think Nagasus is still more than good.

3. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

At 19 years old I think Nagasu is certainly young enough to reinvent herself. I just can't dismiss her so easily.

4. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I thought she looked great at her first comp of the season.. I hope she gets another grand prix..:)

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks somebody says it.

6. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 Member

Well, I live in France and have attended TEB a few times when the entries have been interesting. I would definitely go if Mirai was added to the list...but then, I am not French (Swedish) and obviously a Mirai fan :p

7. analia

analia Active Member

As long as nobody picks Flatt...

I'm sure COC would pick Biryukova so that's a done deal, but something tells me either Mirai doesn't want a second GP or USFS doesn't want her to have it, so that leaves Flatt on the table...

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Both untrue, from what I have heard.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

USFSA should really pull Flatt and give her spot to Mirai. But maybe they don't want Mirai and Ashley facing off against each other. And they probably don't want any skater to suffer the embarrassment of having a spot pulled even when they can't land triples.

10. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Is there a deadline for replacing Miki? If so, when is it?

11. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

At Finlandia Trophy Mirai said that she hopes to get a second Grand Prix. So it is for sure not her not wanting it.

12. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I love Mirai's skating, but I am tired of waiting for her to get everything together on a consistent basis. She's thrown so many chances down the toilet and it bums me out every time. She is, easily, one of the best skaters in the world and positively magical when she's on. I want to see her get it together and be brilliant. But Finlandia wasn't necessarily enoufh to convince me that she's going to make it happen. If she gets a second assignment, great, but I hope she takes full advantage of the opportunity and proves that she deserves it.

At this point, I'm hoping for Osmond for TEB. Mirai's already at CoC, so Biryukova is the most logical choice.

BTW, didn't Leonova only have one GP in the post-Olympic year, but three the following season? One GP definitely doesn't signal the end of a career--in fact, if it motivates Mirai to nail CoC and Nats and whichever competitions she gets this year, it could be the best thing that ever happened to her skating career.

13. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Leonova had two- she got 3rd at CoC and 9th at CoR.

14. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

why on earth or anyone for that matter give another spot to Flatt :confused:
    1 is sooooo more than enough for her

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Glebova all the way - whee!!!

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

However, if she's in the same shape as last season, she won't be much competition for host nation skaters. Even at her strongest (senior) competitions, her PCS weren't over the top, and her jumps have been called for edges and UR's.

If anyone aside from Czisny (for health reasons only) would want one, I would think it would be Flatt, since an overseas trip, as opposed to a two-hour plane ride, could put a wrench in her semester.

I'm hoping Glebova gets the shot: she's starting to become more consistent.

17. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

This! :cheer:

18. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

When was she called for edges last season?

19. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Just went through SC, CoR and Nationals and can't find a single edge call. Just URs, bad jumps and falls.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I didn't realize Flatt's international career began last season.

I would call none of 2011 SC, 2011 CoR, or 2012 US Nationals among her strongest senior performances.

She did not receive an edge call on her Lutzes at Skate Canada. She dropped the jump for CoR, where, in the FS, all but three skaters had edge calls, one of the three (Korpi) tried neither Lutz nor Flip, and there were only two clean 3 Lutzes (Zawadzki and Biryukova).

21. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Rachael was terrific in the FS of 2012 Nationals but she was too far behind after the SPs. I remember the huge standing-o after Rachael's FS.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Maybe being there helped. I didn't get the fuss watching the video, but I understand how what I most dislike about her senior skating is accentuated by the camera, and how momentum and attack can be palpable in the arena but not come across on camera.

23. morqet

morqet Active Member

24. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Hope that Evan recovers quickly, but I am glad that Armin gets the spot!

25. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think everyone agrees armin Mahbanoozadeh has been horribly snubbed since nationals and this is well deserved

26. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

It didn't. I interpreted the 2nd sentence of your post to be a continuation of the first thought (which referred only to last season), though looking back I should have seen that it wasn't intended that way based on the fact that you specified "(senior)" since she didn't have any non-senior performances last season. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I spent quite a bit of time analyzing jump takeoffs from a few competitions a while back and Rachael was one of the only skaters I looked at who consistently had CLEARLY correct takeoffs in those competitions, and she probably worked very hard to correct that problem so whatever her flaws I like to see credit given where it is due. I was honestly curious if she had had any edge calls in the past season (or even since 2009).

I just looked at Worlds 2009-2011, SA 2009, the 2010 Olympics, 2011 4CC, and the last 4 Nationals (2009-2012), included among which are some of her best Senior performances and I see a ! for a 3F in the free skate at 2009 Nationals and a ! for her 3Lz in the SP at 2010 Worlds, but no outright "wrong edge" calls on any of her flips or lutzes in any of those competitions. Some underrotations (<) here and there but some of those (particularly the two 3Fs in the free skate at the Olympics) were quite controversial. I don't recall seeing any downgrades (<<) from among those competitions I checked since the distinction was put in place, though it's possible there may have been some in some of her more recent, poorer skates.

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

So disappointed that Evan has withdrawn. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Rachael get a second assignment, but I don't think she would accept it if offered. She probably has her schedule tightly set with skating and school.

28. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I googled the Stanford Academic Calendar. It's tight. Theoretically, TEB is better for her because she has the rest of that school week off, but it's still not that great because she'd have to miss most of the week before for travel. CoC is just at a sucky time in the quarter. Truth is, the school's calendar is just a backbone; her individual classes will have papers, problem sets, and exams, too.

If Rachael were to have gotten a second GP, she probably would have needed to know a few weeks ago.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Both "e" and "!" are considered edge calls, just as "<" and "<<" are underrotation calls; penalties are based on degree. I was specific about "senior" competition, because I think she was a very different skater as a junior, with a lightness and musicality I haven't seen much of in her senior career. The changes were most evident after an injury, which was reported as a back injury. This is one of the reasons it infuriates me that there are sexist double-standards for women which require flexibility: a skater recovering from a back injury -- and they rarely fully recover before competing again -- can't protect their vulnerable spot by substituting alternate skills that, in my opinion, are equally valid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.