2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

True. Still, it's sad Mirai will only be in one GP this year. I hope she comes back strong.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

that is sad.. she is such a beautiful and talented skater and deserves more than that.. :(

3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Mirai has put herself in this situation with two lackluster seasons. This was the time Mirai needed to establish herself as the top US Lady but she's regressed. Her questionable work habits and nerves have really taken their toll on her.

4. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ I don't understand why everyone blaims this solely on Mirai. Ashley for example placed 6th at Nationals in 2011, and had a pretty lackluster season, placing 5th at NHK making numerous mistakes in the FS even if she was battling a pinched nerve or something, and came back to win a bronze medal at COR. Then she made numerous mistakes in the SP at 2011 Nationals (due to a cold) and had an okay LP. She herself even called the 2010-2011 season as "mediocre." Yet she still managed to get 2 GPs the following season when GP entries were reduced also. So then why didn't Mirai get two? She had a very similar season to Ashley's 2010-2011 season last season, and yet only got one and got passed up for a lackluster Christina Gao.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If you were a host federation, would you want your skaters to compete against Gao or against Nagasu, based on last year's results and scores?

6. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I don't remember the specifics around Ashley, but, IMHO, they are irrelevant. Every year is different and every year brings new skaters to the competition. Perhaps there is more competition this year. Maybe the average score is higher than usual. Who knows? The key thing that every athlete has to realize is that they are completely and totally responsible for their own performance, and they have absolutely no control over anyone else's. Mirai was not having to fight for recognition. She wasn't some unknown trying to get into the final flight so that she would get the PCS she needed to win. She already had all of that. I believe it was Wayne Gretzky who said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." I think it is more complicated than that, but as far as slogans for the bathroom mirror, I think it is very applicable to this situation.

7. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

I'm still hoping that she gets a 2nd Grand Prix somehow. I think for several different reasons Mirai got screwed in the pickings for this Grand Prix season

8. smarts1

My other biggest question, why is selection based on what the host country wants and not who is next on the alternate's list?

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

One likely reason is because the host countries pay for the expenses of the GP skaters they invite.

10. smarts1

You are throwing in a lot of variables that are pretty easily verifiable... The competition for GPs for the ladies this season are not much different from what they were a season ago. There was definitely not more competition for spots this year for GP spots. And Mirai also had a higher SB score this season (with a higher season's best ranking) than Ashley did when she received her two GPs.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Some stated considerations are cost and visa complications, but I think that if a federation is hosting the event, they should be ready to pay for replacement flights and accommodations as part of the budget for the event. (If an expedited visa is required, then I think the skater's federation should pay for the difference between regular and expedited visa processing.)

I also think the alternates list should go in strict order unless:

1. The number of entries from that country for that discipline is already three.
    2. The skater has to travel to another continent for back-to-back events, unless the skater lives/trains in the second continent.
    3. It's impossible to get a necessary visa.
    4. The skater would miss a required national championship or championship qualifier.

Alternately, strict order, where possible, should be applied to the Top 24 SB list, with the rest being set in groups of five at the start, and the first five on the list (after Top 24 SB) would have to be chosen before the next group was tapped, unless it was impossible.

12. change of edge

change of edge New Member

Looks like Amelie Lacoste got Yretha's spot at CoC. Still no replacement for TEB...

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

If she does well at Finlandia, she will probably get a second invite when someone pulls out.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

If I were a host federation that has a weak ladies discipline with no real medal potential from any of the ladies, I would invite the one that makes the field stronger and is more popular that can sell more tickets.

15. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I've been holding my tongue this whole time, and I am glad that finally someone pointed out the obvious! :cool:

17. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

I think everyone finds it obvious, but you never know what will happen. For all anyone knows Alissa could go. So all other options need to be looked at.

18. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

yes. I think we all thought of that. but how do we know if USA can them convince to take Mirai without a doubt? It is a gamble if they planned for it that way and we don't know if Alissa will be fit or not. she is certainly determined enough.

19. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I don't think Alissa is likely to withdraw... she tends to like to compete even if we fans are thinking she's unprepared/underprepared. My guess is that if she is feeling physically well, even if not top form, she'll be at NHK.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Of course Alissa will withdraw. There's pretty much no chance for her to be ready after such a serious injury and having only recently returned to the ice.

21. tkaug

tkaug Member

If Alissa withdraws NHK Trophy and doesn't compete in any other competition until the Nationals, then will she have no right to make 4CC team or Worlds team because of no minimum TES for this season? Even if she wins the Nationals?

22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Alternatively, even if she doesn't withdraw, there's no guarantee she can make the TES minimum at NHK.

If she hasn't made the TES minimum but she skates well enough at Nationals, there are still some small senior Bs for her to compete in to have another go at the minimum score.

23. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I really don't see that as a given. She seems to have a tunnel vision regarding skating and I think she may be a female Kevin vdP and compete on a half broken body.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She has earned the required TES last season.

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Scores from ISU events last season count toward the minimum for this season. Without looking it up, I have no doubt that Czisny has already met the criteria. But even if she hadn't, the USFSA could send her to a Senior "B" after Nationals to get the necessary TES.

26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, Czisny's scores from last year's Skate America satisfy the requirements. She also got the minimum SP TES at the GPF and the minimum LP TES at TEB. So she's all set for the big events, if she can make a successful comeback later in the season.

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Ziggy, the injury is not THAT bad. I mean relatively. I had the same operation as she had (labral tear, which is tear at the cartilage of hip joint) but I was also a bit unlucky and had three more injuries coming with it - two partially torn tendons and some floating bits making impossible to move the hip joint properly. I had the surgery about a week after Alissa and I am back on the ice. True, I don't have to land triples but then again she is in much better physical shape, being elite skater, so she would heal faster. I think she could make it. I am not saying she will, but I would say she has a chance. The question is whether emotionally she will be able to come back. Especially after competition like the Worlds. That will be really hard to overcome.

AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  28. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

The pressure is certainly going to be "off" given Worlds last year and her injury/surgery. Hope she does the right thing for her body and is not rushing her recovery. Would rather see her fit for Nationals instead of cramming in a Grand Prix event. Can't be all that ideal to fly for 12+ hours on top of it all.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Since this question is bound to come up again now that Kaetlyn Osmond won Nebelhorn Trophy, has only 1 GP assignment (Skate Canada), and is ranked #41 in last season's SB scores list, here's the relevant excerpt from the GP Announcement:
    ETA: I think these currently are the only ones in the top 24 2011-12 Season Best Total Scores list with 1 GP?
    8 Czisny USA (originally requested only 1 GP due to her injury/surgery)
    11 Nagasu USA
    15 Biryukova RUS

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  30. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Sylvia:
    I was just looking at your post from several pages back.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3575325&postcount=148
    It looks to me like only Czisny (who requested only one), Nagasu, Biryukova, and next would be Joshi Helgesson, Rachel Flatt and Kaetlyn Osmond.
    So unless I'm reading this wrong, Osmond is now in the group of five that can be considered? (because after the top 24 you move on to the whole top 75?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.