2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Maybe McCorkell will get CoC as well? :D

Nah that really would be taking the piss.

I am betting Flatt for CoC as she's the weakest out of the remaining skaters. :p

Good luck but don't hold your breath. :p

There can be up to 3 skaters from any given country btw.
  2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

isn't Lacoste in TEB ? either Osmond or McCorell gets it or even Flatt :eek:
    I'll go with Flatt for Cup of China ( as a non threat), lol,
    they will make sure now to have a chance of having Zijun into the podium now

Cup of China and TEB went from a deep field competition to a weak one
    looks like Mao , Ashley and Julia will have little competition
  3. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

I think Kexin Zhang is a host pick, so China doesn't have to pick one of the top five on the list.
  4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Lacoste is at SC and CoC.
  5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

flatt would already be in euro the week before TEB because of the icechallenge; so who knows, give her another ride ;)
  6. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Why does it seem that CoC and TEB had identical entry fields?
  7. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

I think at this stage of the game its pretty clear that the hosts would pick skaters that they can get in quickly based on both travel tine, travel expenses and visa requirements.

and yes I would guess that McCorkell gets TEB but who knows what the French Fed decides.
  8. tkaug

tkaug New Member

I'm quoting my own post on another thread.
    ISU assigned 5 ladies to the same events(COC and TEB) and we have 4 of them out now...
  9. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

BTW why Sonia Lafuente has no GP assignement? I don't remember what she did last year, but it's probably better than Glebova and McCorkell.
  10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I doubt Flatt would accept TEB if offered. She's got SA and Ice Challenge. I think it would be too much to juggle w/ Stanford?

I'm shocked and appalled that the FF just keeps overlooking Mirai! If I put on lipstick and a pair of skates and stood next to Mirai, they probably would even take me over Mirai!
  11. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Skate Canada invited Popova-Massot, when there were pairs with better rankings available..so I am expecting a favour in return at some point.
  12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

WHEN did I miss the announcement that singles events would include only 10 skaters each? Wasn't it 12 last year?
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Lafuente is ranked #50 on last season's ISU SB total scores list (Glebova #44, McCorkell #46):
    http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtslto.htm
  14. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

15. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I am so furious and sad about how Mirai is passed over again and again. :( :mad:

She is such a great skater and definitely one that would make me more anxious to go to a competition.

I hate hate hate this system.
  16. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Sylvia...is there an ISU link to the updated rosters for the SGP events? With all the injuries, hard to keep track ;-)
  17. Sylvia

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Something is really wrong when a so so skater like Biryukova gets two GP events and someone like Mirai only gets one. Yes Mirai has struggled but she still usually finishes much higher then Biryukova does. All you have to do is look at medals won internationally.
  19. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Do we know for sure that Nagasu didn't ask for only one event?
  20. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

She has been quoted recently saying she hopes to get a second event (looking for quote...)
  21. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

what has mirai as a senior for medals?

2 grand prix medals (both silver) and one bronze of 4cc?

i´m not a mirai fan nor a hater,

but her last season wasn´t the best. biryukova got 166 points at Rostelecom Cup, Mirai 172 and 150 in points in her Grand Prix. So in average, none of them was really better than the other last season.

mirai was happy to face a weak field in China, biryukova would have one silver with her 166 points there too.

mirai was great junior skater with great olympics but struggled the last 2 seasons, so that´s where she is now. biryukova is younger and showed equal performances last year. so seems like their face to face now, with mirai surely having more fans here and worldwide and is more famous.
  22. Sylvia

Yes. There was a post yesterday by Eislauffan in this thread.

ETA that it was post #821:
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Biryukova was 15th on the SB list (compared to Nagasu's 11th), and her PB was only 7+ points lower than Nagasu's. It was almost as outrageous that she wasn't given a CoC shot the first few times one opened as it has been that Nagasu was never chosen for Paris.

The ISU almost had it right when it wrote, but then ignored, the sentence about giving Top 24 SB skaters priority, and they would have had it right if they set the groups of five up front, with Top 24 skaters given priority in the top (or Top 2) group(s), didn't move anyone in and out of groups unless a skater withdrew from their one event or quit (for at least the season), and only skipped skaters and went to the group below if the remaining skaters weren't eligible -- already there, skaters from that country maxxed out, back-to-back long-haul trips declined by skater/skater's Fed -- or the visa issues became impossible.

To say this is unfair to the Feds, it's similar to the way the regular selections work: if you're the last Fed to choose from each group, you pay for that skater/team's costs, whether you're transporting them from Detroit or Shanghai to Windsor, for example.

The whole idea of limiting the fields to the "best of the best," high GP minimums, and a ranked substitutions list is, allegedly, to raise the quality of the fields. By reducing the numbers, they've already saved the hosts 17-20%. The hosts shouldn't be allowed to go far down the list to dilute the fields, too.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  24. Sylvia

From Golden Skate's Finlandia recap article:
  25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

So much for my theory that she might want only one to avoid breaking up her semester :eek:

If she were assigned to TEB or another GP, could she withdraw from Ice Challenge? Or is that not done?
  26. Sylvia

I don't see why not. Ice Challenge currently gets Flatt out of competing at Midwestern Sectionals, so if she were assigned a 2nd GP, that would/should accomplish the same thing.
  27. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

So Nagasu has been passed up at TEB three times now, for Gao, J Helgesson and now Glebova. If they pass her up again when replacing K Zhang, that will be 4 times.
  28. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I suspect TEB with go with another European skater. It is just so much cheaper to bring someone in from Europe than North America.
  29. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

But Gao and Glebova both train in North America. So what was the excuse for that?
  30. Mrs. P

Mrs. P New Member

I don't think it's just strictly a travel costs issue -- after all, as someone pointed out, France opted to not use one of their host picks.

My theory -- and this is pure speculation -- is that TEB, for whatever reason, is trying to create a mini-Euros in the Ladies.

That doesn't really explain Gao getting a spot there, but I think it does explain with Helgesson and Glebova got them.
  31. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Gao was assigned in the initial pool of skaters, IIRC. Glebova...hmmm, can't explain that one, other than she trains in New Jersey, correct? I am assuming cheaper flights direct from the east coast (that would hold true for Gao as well as she is in Boston), rather than the west coast for Nagasu.

Just for kicks, pulled up Expedia airfares from LAX to Paris, cheapest fare runs about $1,100.00. And, about $800 from NY to Paris. European skater will probably get the nod is my bet.
  32. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

No she wasn't. She was a replacement.
  33. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Agreed.

B.Cooper, check the first post on this thread, you'll see Gao wasn't on the original list. At some point, the French Fed chose Gao over Nagasu. No idea why.
  34. Mrs. P

Mrs. P New Member

For the record:

Yretha's spot was given to Joshi Helgesson.
    Carolina's spot was given to Zijun Li first then later to Christina Gao.
    Miki's spot, as we all know, was given to Elena Glebova.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  35. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Joshi Helgesson. Viktoria Helgesson already had 2 spots.
  36. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the clarification. If it's not by special request, I'll agree, it's certainly odd...

Although, I find this language kinda weird:

Almost makes it sound as if she INITIALLY went for one, then regretted that decision later on??? whatever I suppose.

I thought there was a rule that you had to choose the highest-ranked skater from a substitute list unless there was a legit reason not to (injury, already has 2 events, etc.)? It's sounding like the host nations have free reign (outside the country limit rule) to pick whomever they want...
  37. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Or it's just a translation error.
  38. Sylvia

Posted on August 8 in this thread:
    Then, soon after, Li's name was scratched out (she ended up filling Cup of China's TBA host pick) and I posted:
    "I don't know when the GP Ladies PDF update was published but the latest version dated August 10 does include [Christina] Gao's name with the "(new)" designation for TEB."
    Mae Berenice Meite was on the original TEB roster. Yrethe Silete's name removed only last month and her spot was given to Joshi Helgesson.

Everything is documented in this thread. :)
  39. Mrs. P

Mrs. P New Member

Thanks, Sylvia. I got mixed up clearly--so many roster changes! Will edit my post for accuracy.

ETA: My original list I have from when the assignments were first posted doesn't have Mae Bernice on it. I assume she was quickly named as the third France TBD that is on that list, yes?
  40. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.