2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

And to keep Yan Han junior :wall:

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

China isn't the only one with a 'wait your turn' attitude. :(

That said, I think Yan Han's case is different from Ji Jun as China wants to leave open the option of sending Yan Han to junior world again. Anyway, right now, if Yan Han does well nationally he still can do 4CC. While I don't agree with Yan Han being junior again, the option of him doing senior competition at 4CC or even worlds is still open.

Of course as a fan, I feel robbed about not seeing the new promising junior world medalists at the GP. :drama:

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Does the Canadian lady actually need to meet the TES minimum? Canada is the host country. Until now, the host has always been able to have a direct entry into the SP and FS at any ISU Championship, even when there were Qualifying or Preliminary Rounds and the host's entry would not otherwise have advanced. I'm not sure that's changed.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well, I am going to convince myself that it's going to be easier for Yan Han to win JGPs and medal at JGPF and hence get ISU points than for him to medal at senior GPs and make GPF. I hope the Chinese Fed keeps an open mind about sending Yan Han to Worlds, especially if he significantly beats Song Nan at 4CCs. (if Song Nan beats Yan Han soundly at 4CCs, then shut me up :p)

Song Nan had to rely on jumps to be competitive but Yan Han was already equaling Farris and Brown in PCS. If Yan Han competes and skates well at the GPs, his PCS can climb further. I really think he has a better shot than Song Nan in getting China a second spot for the men for Sochi.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Yes. The host nation has not been able to enter a skater automatically into the first phase of the competition since the 2009-10 season the latest, before minimum score requirements were added. According to the 2010 Special Regs Rule 378 paragraph 8, the following text was added for the 2010 version of the document (emphasis added),

Paragraphs 5 and 6, which refer to direct vs. indirect entries have been nullified due to decisions taken earlier this year and listed in Communication 1742 #7, but the principle is the same: in order for the host nation to enter a skater into the first phase of a competition, that skater must have met the minimum score. There's nothing in the 2012 decisions that exempts the host skaters from meeting the minimum scores. 1742 #7 also explicitly replaces the minimum scores listed in paragraph 3 of the 2010 document with the new minimums added this year, including minimums for Jr. Worlds.

The ISU has been releasing updated Constitutions and Special Regs biannually in even years, but I haven't seen any 2012 updates. Communication 1742, released on 27 June, refers to the 2010 document.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well done on supporting your skaters Skate Canada. :wall:

Why not give an opportunity to DeSanctis who performed reasonably well last season?

Given how Nagasu skated in the Summer, I wouldn't be so sure. :p

They were surely hoping that she would get a second spot as a replacement, leaving their host pick for somebody else.

Re: 'Wait your turn'/'saving face' attitude. It's really hurting Chinese skating. They have tons and tons of skaters in all disciplines who are never getting a chance to compete internationally. :(

7. iceflame

iceflame New Member

I'm afraid that you will be dissapointed that Yan Han may not compete at 4cc for 90% chance, not to mention Senior Worlds. The decision has been made and he is going to be held back in juniors for another season, for some reasons:scream: I don't think Chinese Fed cares about how many spots they will have for the men for Sochi.

8. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

which I find odd considering China has amazing list of juniors and upcoming men skaters but are being held back in favor of their current inconsistent seniors :scream:

9. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

I agree with you, there's almost no chance of Han Yan being sent to any senior ISU championships this year. Even if Song Nan gets injured or something, the other seniors will have priority over him.

At least Han Yan did apparently get sent to Lake Arrowhead earlier this summer -- though for what I don't know. Sadly, he still didn't get to work with any foreign choreographers, again, despite what the federation promised him last season. :(

I think it's all down to politics over which coaches have the most clout...

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

It's a sad situation re Han yan. Talents must be nurtured and exposure must be given ... Yet the old fashioned mindsets hinder everything

Well, nan song is not bad. Hope he can compete in Sochi and finish in the top ten there. That would be quite an achievement already

11. Gliding on ice

Gliding on ice New Member

IMHO, Han Yan still being held in the Junior circuit is a combination of the Chinese Federation not giving enough attention to the discipline of men&#8217;s singles, underestimating their young star&#8217;s potential, and their ultimate reluctance to reject the tradition of keeping skaters in the junior circuit till they age out :scream:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  12. love_skate2011

I don't get this reputation saving face at all
    why sacrifice it when you have a good chance of your skaters giving you 2 or even 3 spots for an Olympics

13. missing

missing Well-Known Member

Is it Han Yan or Yan Han? I know the last name should go first, but I'm uncertain which is his last name and which is his first.

I have great fondness for skaters with easy to spell names, but I'd hate to write such an easy name incorrectly.

14. love_skate2011

Its last name first (Han) , then his first name (Yan)

15. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Yan is actually his last name.

16. Gliding on ice

Gliding on ice New Member

The Chinese fed would prefer to have more spots for the Olympics. The problem is, however, China has only one spot for Worlds next year, so the question becomes who should be sent.

Elsewhere, this decision would be based on a skater's capability, i.e. results from Nationals would be considered, and perhaps performances at GP as well.

But in China, certain people, motivated by their narrowly defined self-interest, would use their influence behind the scenes to sway the decision. Unfortunately, young talents often get wasted during this ugly process as they would never be afforded the opportunity to shine.

17. NMURA

NMURA Member

China wants the olympic spots anyway. Nan Song is given the chances to prove his worth. If Han Yan competes as a senior, the international judges could dump Song with no remorse. With all paternalistic considerations, if Song doesn't do well at GPS, the Chinese federation may change their minds.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I can't understand why ISU doesn't do what the IOC was doing during 2012 Olympics.

Surnames were written in capitals.

So you'd have something like: Patrick CHAN but YAN Han.

It's really disrespectful and colonialist to keep writing Chinese names the way "we" do it.

barbk and (deleted member) like this.
  19. skatingwatcher

skatingwatcher New Member

I understand that there is LOTS more to this story, than "since Schultz broke up with Steele in July".
    Better get the whole story before you simply post rumors!

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

I mentioned the "hearsay" posts in the Skate Canada High Performance Camp thread and noted that Steele/Schultz are still listed on the National Team (I just saw that you have cross-posted there as well): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3676289#post3676289

21. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Well, then enlighten us, please.

22. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

They capitalize in the bios, and they've experiemented in the past with results pages (or maybe those were just mistakes)

23. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Have to disagree with you Ziggy. If it's good enough for the Japanese and Hungarians, it should be the same for the Koreans and Chinese.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

Hausch/Wende GER have been crossed off the Rostelecom Cup pairs roster in the Sept. 14 update. (Sui/Han are still listed for CoC & NHK.)

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

As far as non-host substitutes go, the only eligible senior Pairs -- i.e. have met the GP minimum -- for a first or second event are:

20-Vise/Baldwin (CAN)
    34-Zhang/Wang, if they're still together and are healthy
    40-Della Monica/Guarise
    43-Duarte/Grafton
    51-Bakirova/Kamianchuk

If Sui/Han are, indeed, out, I wouldn't be surprised if they were pulled at the last minute. There are already three American pairs at NHK, which would limit the teams who could replace them there.

26. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh no? any news why? injury?
    they seemd to be cursed in the last time...

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

28. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Question on the substitution rules. With medalling at the US Senior B will Aaron, Mahbandozadeh and Miner be put on top of the sustitutes list now?

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

No. Only the winner of a Senior B is put at the bottom of the substitutions list, after Top 75 SB. (That, of course, assumes that they're following what's in the GP Announcement.) Men have to meet the GP minimum of 159.66, which Aaron nearly did in his FS alone.

Mahbanoozadeh is already #41 on the SB list, Miner has two GP's already (CAN, JPN), and Dolensky is #53 SB. Both Mahbanoozadeh and Dolensky are on the substitutes list above winner Aaron.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  30. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

I know there has been discussion of this already... but the fact that Silete will withdraw has been confirmed.

Source:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120917&content_id=38561934&vkey=ice_news
    Quote:
    "It has been just five weeks since two-time French champion Yrétha Silété was severely injured during a practice session. Though she is now ready to leave her rehabilitation center in the Alps, she does not plan to be back on the ice before January at best. "

I wonder why this has not yet been reflected in the ISU rosters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.