2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Wow I'm very disappointed that Skate Canada isn't using the host picks for ladies and pairs. Desanctis skated reasonably well last year and didn't finish last in either segment.

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, then Sofia Biryukova could go to COC and Mirai Nagasu or Joshi Helgesson to TEB. (I would prefer Nagasu).

3. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't leaving it empty be against the rules this far out?

4. analia

analia Active Member

Can't help thinking how strategic CAN fed is...this is the kind of small favors to RUS and FRA, two powerful feds, that need to be returned one way or another.

5. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Thank you Skate Canada for giving Shelepen the second assignment!!
    I hope she'll make a strong debut.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  6. laceup

laceup New Member

Such a waste to not send one of many options for ladies but since Schultz broke up with Steele in July I don't believe there is any other pair team to send.

7. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

But how are the Canadian ladies supposed to improve with such limited international opportunities? IMO, either DeSanctis and Charbonneau should have received that spot.

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Polinas S & K with second assignments :cheer2:
    Martusheva/Rogonov :D Glad they were picked!

9. Proustable

Proustable New Member

re: Pairs

Canada has four pairs teams on the senior level worth a darn, and all four have spots. The rest either split up, stayed junior, or both (Bobek/Beharry became Jones/Beharry; Jones was a senior in her former partnership, but can skate junior with Beharry and elected to do so).

Don't know who gets Sui/Han's spots when they WD (as we expect right now, right?)

10. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

:( When is Nagasu getting her second GP?

11. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Maybe they'll see how she does at Finlandia?

12. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Yretha Silete's spots are still to be replaced. But the Feds will probably chose Helgesson and Lacoste cause they're lesser threats:lol::rolleyes:

13. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Given that Canada gave France one of their pair's slots, I can totally see TEB going for Osmond or LaCoste.

14. fan

fan Active Member

interesting - this has not been made public (as far as i was aware) - any reasons? are either/both of them continuing skating? they had quite a successful season last year.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Although the rules aren't written anywhere that I can find, there seems to be a deadline by which all Feds are supposed to assign their TBA's. Last year, all the TBA host assignments were done by the end of August except for France (mid-October), and this year they were all done by 5 September. (It's possible France ignored it, like Feds seem to be able to do, or they might have said to the ISU that they wanted to decided based on some test skate or fall comps, but planned to fill the spots.)

Theoretically, all spots are supposed to be filled if the withdrawal is more than 14 days before the competition -- the rules are hazy between 7-14 days -- but as if it's stopped them before from not filling a spot.

Do you mean another Fed would only choose her if she faltered? Otherwise, it shouldn't matter at all for GP assignments.

The skaters/teams with Top 24 SB who haven't split, stayed junior, or withdrawn as of today are:

Ice Dance:
    18-Tobias/Stagniunas (USA)
    20-Chock/Bates (CHN)
    22-Alessandrini/Vaturi (USA)
    23-Slobina/Sitnikov (CAN)

(Next in line are Ralph/Hill [CAN])

Pairs:
    20-Vise/Baldwin (CAN)

(Next in line who've met the GP minimum: Hausch/Wende [RUS], Zhang/Wang [none - split or injured?], Della Monica/Guarise [none], Duarte/Grafton [none], Bakirova/Kaminachuk [none]. Unless another pair meets the GP minimum at one of the five Fall Senior B's -- or maybe one of the early GP's, like an Obsure Chinese Pair replacing Sui/Han at CoC-- that's it for the Pairs substitutes list, with Gerboldt/Enbert's injury withdrawal.)

Men
    3-Plushenko, but he's not participating.

(First five in line are: Hendricks [FRA], Rogozine [JPN], Dmitriev [CHN], Ge [none], Bush [RUS].)

Ladies:

8-Czisny, by known request due to surgery
    11-Nagasu, ???
    15-Biryukova

(Next in line: Gao [USA] -- see below -- Lacoste [CAN] J. Helgesson [CHN], Flatt [USA]. Sixth is Phaneuf, who was bypassed for a SC host pick.)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  16. toddlj

toddlj SA2014! I'm here! Can it be in Chicago every year?

(Gao already has 2 assignments, USA and TEB; and you've left off Lacoste.)

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:eek: You're right -- I meant to type Lacoste while staring at Gao's name.

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Argh! Why isn't the reigning Junior World Champion moving up to seniors, when China has so many GP spots to give for men they are starting to give them to someone whom nobody knows or hasn't done anything? It really is time to invest in He Zhang and Yan Han and forget about Guan Jinlin. It's the freaking pre-Olympic season! If Song Nan faltered at Worlds again like last year, China will again be left with one guy for Sochi. Even if they pick Yan Han over Song Nan for Worlds this year, he will have practically no senior international experience and will be snubbed by judges and by skate order.

Give Yan Han a freaking chance!!! :mad:

In related news, at least Li Zijun finally has her second assignment. I don't know whose brain was at work when they decided to give an assignment to Geng Bingwa before securing a second one for Li Zijun. :scream:

19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Agree. I think HanYan has a very chance of being the top five IF he gets better exposure/experience and coaching as early as possible. Oh well..it's probably the pecking order ... wait your time .. seniority counts not talent. :(

20. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

(Phaneuf is resting her back, skipping GP's this year.)

21. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Administrations - please delete this comment - intended for another thread! Thanks!

22. whispering

whispering Member

Yes,it's a shame that Han still competing on the junior circuit,but on the other hand Yi Wang deserves that host pick,maybe even more deserve than Jinlin Guan IMO. He was fifth at the Chinese National Winter Games(rank after Nan Song,Han Yan,Jialiang Wu and Boyang Jin) and a bronze medalist at a national competition this April.He suffered a lot from injuries that kept him away from international competitions in his junior time.I am excited for his international debut at coc,he has a quad (but still struggle with 3a) and I think he will surprise a lot people with his SS and presentation:)

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks for the information on Yi Wang, whispering! I dug out the following from the FSU Archives:

24. sk8tingfan30

sk8tingfan30 New Member

Where did you get the information that Steele and Schultz have split up? Is this confirmed?

25. SamuraiK

That was a smart brain actually. It was obviously strategic since Li had guaranteed one event for being top 24SB , so by leaving her on purpose out of COC they made sure another Fed had to invite her and then they could give her 2nd event by picking her for the TBA spot. Geng on the other hand had no guaranteed event so it was logical they picked her as an initial host spot.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thanks!

She may need a higher score to meet the TES minimums, were she to earn the single spot for London. I wonder when the ISU will announce if the lower the World minimums, but there are Senior B's between Ca Nats and the final Worlds deadline, if they don't or the minimums are still too high.

27. hohoho

hohoho Member

I think dropping the TES minimum is based on how many have actually got the minimum score. I don't think that will change until all qualifying events to achieve the TES score is done before Worlds.

28. SamuraiK

Exactly, Im positive that if by the end of 4CC there are more than 30 possible entries (right now there are about 19-20) with the minimun score it wont get lowered.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There are three Senior B's concurrent with 4C's. There are three Senior B's after 4C's for Men, Ladies, and Ice Dance, plus Jr. Worlds that end seven days before Senior Worlds.

Except for Pairs, where the last Senior competitions before Worlds are 4C's and the concurrent Bavarian Open, there's a world of difference between "all the qualifying events to achieve the TES score is done before Worlds" -- i.e., Citta di Torino (Men, Ladies, Ice Dance) -- and end of 4C's.

My question for the ISU is whether they are going to lower the score while it is still possible for Ladies, Men, and Dancers to meet the new minimum after the new score is set, or whether they will wait until after the last Senior B in February (2.5 weeks before Worlds), and set the minimum so that they have their 30 (or whatever the target is) skaters.

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I had thought of that, but then if that was the case, CHN really would have added her right away after the initial assignments were out. And they didn't even use that tactic on Yan Han.

I am more inclined to think that for whatever political / stubborn / pecking order reason, they prefer to not let those talented newbies take things for granted and have them wait their turn. China was full of talented singles skaters but they just kept sending the disappointing ones like Wu Jialiang, Guan Jinlin, Liu Yan (post 2006), Geng Bingwa and Zhu Qiuying etc for no reason. There was no programme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.