2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to see Jeremy get TEB - I spoke with him last year there and he said he always asks for it and never gets it, so I'm glad it finally paid off for him!

I understand why the federations involved would want it, but the 2nd and 3rd seeds in the Men being at NHK and 4th and 5th being at TEB is a bit confusing - I thought the ISU rules about seeding would override the preferences of individual federations. And selfishly, I wanted to see Dai in Paris!

2. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Russia Pairs

Two: Volosozhar/Trankov(US/Russia), Kavaguti/Smirnov(China/France), Stolbova/Klimov(China/France), Bazarova/Larionov(Russia/Japan)
    One: Gerbolt/Enbert(Canada), TBA(Russia)

Dance Russia
    Two: Bobrova/Soloviev (USA/China), Riaznova/Tkachenko(Canada/France), Sinitsina/Zhighashin(China/Russia), Ilinykh/Katsalapov(Russia/Japan)
    One: Pushkash/Guerreiro(France), Monko/Khaliavin(Russia)

Ladies Russia
    Two: Leonova (US/Russia), Stotnikova(US/Russia), Makarova(Canada/Japan), Tuktamysheva(Canada/France), Lipnitskaia(China/France)
    One: Shelepen(Japan), Biryukova(Japan), Korbeynikova(France), TBA(Russia)

China Pairs

Two: Pang/Tong (USA/China), Peng/Zhang(China/France), Sui/Han(China/Japan)

Men Japan
    Two: Hanyu(US/Japan), Kozuka(US/Russia), Machida(US/China), Mura(Canada/France), Oda(Canada/Russia), Takahaski(China/Japan)
    One: Murakami(Japan)

Ladies Japan

Two: Imai(US/Japan), Murakami (Canada/Russia), Suzuki (Canada/Japan), Asada(China/Japan), Ando(China/France),

3. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

They have Virtue/Moir there already, so it might just be strategical. I'm more surprised that Paul/Islam were not given anything.

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thanks for the post!

So many interesting entries. Even more exciting than ever:D

Does anyone have any idea what happened to Evan? After he changed the agent, I thought things were going well with USFSA.

5. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Need to make a correction.....or addition...
    US Ladies: One event: Christina Gao and Rachael Flatt

I can't say that the comment made somehwere above about Nagasu and Czisny each receiving one SGP is "getting dumped". When the SGP format went down to 10 slots/event, it just made getting assignments that much more difficult. Just not enough slots to go around quite frankly. If they are both serious about continuing to compete, I suspect that USFS will find Sr B's to send them to, esp Nagasu, so that she won't have to compete at either regionals or sectionals. Czisny can stay home all autumn and "recover" and just go out and do one event if that is all she wants to do as she will have a bye to Omaha. And, I suspect that is why Czisny rec'd Japan, the last SGP event. USFS still likes her IMO, and they are going to give her time to figure out her life.

I'm really surprised that Josh Farris and Jason Brown are staying on the JGP. Not sure what the strategy for those decisions. Is this the 3rd yr for each of them on the JGP?
    Hmmmm...no Evan.... not surprised by that.
    And Johnny....getting 2 events.....USFS and their love/hate relationship with him....but they still will politic for him to get him to events because he still sells tickets.
    Alittle suprised by new pair teams getting assignments....and unproven at this point (Y/R and D/L)

6. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

And that Orford/Williams who finished behind them and weren't stellar at Junior Worlds did get a spot (in fact lost a whole pile of JGP slots for Canada when they were expected to finish higher but didn't). While Paul/Islam had an injury filled year, and therefore a lousy season results wise, if they are healthy, they are in a different league from a quality and skills perspective. This is unfathomable to me. Wow.

7. hippychick

hippychick Member

For US Pairs Castelli and Schnapir and Vise Baldwin also have one event

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

How the hell did Nazarova/Nikitin manage to get a GP assigment? :huh:

Seeing only 8 spots in Pairs and especially Ice Dance is so :mad:.

So many decent teams denied spots. :(

9. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

Orford/Williams GP was an automatic one (accumulated points gave them #22 in the World standings). I know Paul/Islam struggled with injury, but I am surprised that Skate Canada didn't leave a TBD spot for their host pick and decide after some summer monitoring. It appears that Gilles/Poirier were given the early nod instead.

10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

There's the TBA for Skate America, could possibly end up being him.

Or there's the All Star Season of DWTS, he could end up on that.

11. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

12. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

With the GP being announced so early again this season, there'll be plenty of changes later on, I think. So some people might drop out and others get a second assignment.

13. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

What did Dornbush do to merit 2 assignments?

14. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

And why no Armin?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why is USFS wasting a spot on Rachael Flatt? :p

I mean you never know, Flatt might turn her career around but I just don't understand rewarding her for her last two seasons.

I'd have left that spot TBA and yeah maybe would give it to Flatt but ONLY if she showed good form during the Summer events.

It is indeed surprising that Paul/Islam got totally dumped. Maybe Gilles/Poirier have been monitored and really improved a lot already?

Some federations are smart playing a waiting game, leaving a spot TBA even though it's clear which skater of theirs should get this spot.

But if they can give that skater a second spot via replacement system, then they can have an extra spot for somebody else. :mad:

Thanks, that would explain it.

20th in World Standings, I guess. But he was only 27th on the Season's Best scores so...

Why would he get one?

16. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

oh, thanks. Both scenarios sound great!

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Amending kwanfan1818's earlier post:

US Ladies (12 slots, 8 skaters):
    Two: Wagner (USA/France), Gold and Zhang (Canada/Russia), Zawadzki (Russia/Japan)
    One: Nagasu (China), Czisny (Japan), Gao and Flatt (USA)

US Men (12 slots, 6 skaters for now):
    Two: Abbott (USA/France), Miner (Canada/Japan), Rippon (China/Japan), Dornbush (Russia/Japan), Weir (Russia/France)
    One: Razzano (USA), TBA at Skate America

US Pairs (10 slots, 7 teams for now):
    Two: Denney/Coughlin (USA/Russia), Marley/Brubaker (Canada/Japan)
    One: Donlan/Speroff (USA), Castelli/Shnapir (Japan), Vise/Baldwin (Canada), Yankowskas/Reagan (China), Davis/Ladwig (Japan), TBA at Skate America

US Dance (9 slots, 5 teams for now):
    Two: Davis/White (USA/Japan), Hubbell/Donohue (Canada, France), Shibutani/Shibutani (Russia/Japan)
    One: Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt (USA), Chock/Bates (China), TBA at Skate America

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Haribobo, I think Samantha Cesario has aged out of Juniors now.

Going to JGP has nothing to do with going or not going to Senior Worlds.

They can do both.

Chinese Fed is usually really slow about giving their skaters opportunities and wants them to prove themselves many times over first.

As for Farris and Brown, maybe they weren't guaranteed two GP spots and thought it would make more sense to make the JGP final?

Because she might get the second spot as a replacement, leaving the TBA CoC spot free for another skater.

TBA RC spot is still available. I would imagine it's going to go to one of them (but again, if they can get a replacement spot first, it will leave it free for somebody else).

Ockham's Razor.

He's probably not making a comeback.

This.

Yeah because it's never happened in the past that the assignments were packed full of skaters who didn't end up competing in the end. :saint:

19. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

6th at Nationals and an American "fan favorite", that's why. The majority of this board may not like her, but she is popular amongst American skating audiences. It's not like we have a lot of other ladies to consider. Flatt got top 6 at Nationals without being in ideal condition... We're just not that deep in this discipline.

Hahahaha at American pairs getting more slots than ice dance. This is a reflection of how thin the world of pairs has become, and how deep the ice dance field is.

20. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I wonder if USFSA is waiting to see about Olsen & Hubbell?

I'm not surprised Skate Canada is going all in on Gilles & Poirier! But I'm sad for Paul & Islam, I'd really like to see them.

The limited number of spots is really unpleasant.

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

He's mad lucky Yan, Farris, and Brown all decided to stay junior another season because they all had 1 event guaranteed each and probably had a good shot at 2 so that opened up a bunch of places.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

No, she turns 19 after July 1 of this year. haribobo, Galyeta/Shumski (UKR) have split in dance.

Armin Mahbanoozadeh was 4th at US Nationals to Douglas Razzano's 5th, but Razzano's ISU SB total score ranked slightly higher at #38 to Mahbanoozadeh's at #41.

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yan, Farris, Brown all had 1 GP guaranteed each but probably had a good chance at getting 2 considering some of the other skaters assigned...

Anyways, my guess is their decision had more to do with giving them more options post nationals. If they moved up to senior GP, they couldn't go to JW again based on new rules, but this way, they can be assigned to JW, 4CC and/or senior Worlds after nationals so they have more options. For example, Ricky competed on the JGP in 10-11 then went on to senior Worlds after competing senior at Nationals, so in his case, doing JGP didn't hurt him. So I understand that, but they are ready for senior GP so why not just move up and aim for 4CC and Worlds and not worry about having JW as a fallback?

Also Cesario is born in August of 1993 so she still has one more season of JGP age-eligibility because she misses the cutoff.

24. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Chock/Bates are 20th for season's best scores last season (42nd World Standings / 24th World Seasons Standings), so perhaps they are holding out to see if Chock/Bates can earn a second assignment elsewhere from the substitutes list once we get closer to the start of the season.

If that's their plan, then it gets interesting to consider who that TBA could be. Samuelson/Gilles? Aldridge/Eaton? Cannuscio/McManus? McNamara/Carptenter? A new team? (Everyone else scoring 120+ at nationals has split).

I wonder where Aldridge/Eaton factor into the GP, as they're 16th on the Season's Best list and 23rd on World Standings / 19th World Seasons Ranking. Would they remain Junior GP?

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, Aldridge/Eaton are returning to the JGP.

ETA: McNamara/Carpenter were 3rd in Junior Dance at US Nationals and she is now old enough (turned 13 in February) for the JGP.

26. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

27. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Really puzzled at why Flatt got even one and why they didn't hold back a slot until seeing summer competitions and finding out who has the current skills.

And really, really puzzled that Armin got dumped, and that the massively underwhelming Ricky got gifted with two assignments. (Or is there some injury to Armin?)

I'd guess that Denney/Frazier will skate senior at qualifying comps and Nationals, but looks like they're out on the JGP this season, unless they get the TBA at Skate America? I'd rather see them get some GP experience since I think it is entirely possible that they end up on the Worlds team given some of the other teams. Love Castelli/Shnapir, but I don't see them moving ahead until he figures out how to land SBS jumps, and D/F has already got that figured out.

Puzzled at Farris not going GP; he's got a 3 axel, and has already medaled at JW. Perhaps he decided that 2 JGP + probable JGPF was a lot better than 1 GP.

Brown makes sense -- he didn't medal at JW, needs to compete with a 3 axel as often as possible, and a likely 2 JGP + probably JGPF gives him plenty of competitive outings. Can he do a Senior B under the new rules?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Quick correction: Yankowskas/Reagan have China, not USA.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I knew that! :shuffle: (ETA: That was kwanfan1818's original error, not mine. ;)) I've edited the correction into my above post.

See my post #52 above. Armin recently posted a video on youtube of himself landing a quad toe in practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY4zaWW244

Denney/Frazier haven't attempted a sbs triple in competition yet, so let's wait and see. I think they will benefit by returning to the JGP and aiming to improve on their results from last year, qualify for the JGP Final, etc.

Yes, but there are quite a lot of U.S. men who are candidates for a Senior B that don't have any other assignment prospects, so I hope they are considered first.

30. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

He got the Bronze medal at Junior Worlds.

barbk and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.