2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

What a great opportunity for both pairs. Good luck to them!
  2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I wonder what's going on with S/H?
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I asked the following question in a Chinese competition thread in Kiss and Cry earlier today:

Can you tell me if Sui/Han are listed in this "2012 National Figure Skating Grand Prix athletes list" document on the federation's site? http://chnfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/120913_par.pdf
  4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Della Monica/Guarise and Vise/Baldwin replace Hausch/Wende and Dube/Wolfe.

I wonder if Montalbano/Krasnopolski's assignment is provisional, since they were Top 75, but just missed the GP minimum cut off (120.90) at 2012 Euros (120.32), and scored 117.27 at the US International. They can still make the GP minimum at Nebelhorn.

Since there are only 74 Pairs teams on the SB list, all are Top 75. The only other teams on the list that didn't compete seniors last year, didn't make the minimum score, and that I know haven't split are Herbrikova/Halmaert (CZE, 115.87, entered in Nepala), Martini/Kiefer (AUT, 112.10, entered in Nepala), and Hoolin/Hunt (GBR, 94.08). These teams may have split and some of the juniors may have aged out. H/H especially and M/K have a shot to get the GP minimum at Ondrej Nepala.

Based on sammyf's info, Zhang/Wang should be in the running for a non-host spot. ETA: Wrong Zhang/Wang.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  5. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Herbrikova/Halmaert -split
    Martini/Kiefer -Registered for Ondrej Nepela so together
    Hoolin/Hunt -haven't registered for any IJS events in GBR so probably injured or split
  6. Zemgirl

They have a 130.95 from last year's Ice Challenge, shouldn't that count?
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

No, only the first five or six international competitions at the beginning of the season count towards the GP minimum for that season, and these are listed in the GP announcement each year. This season's are: US International, Nebelhorn 2012, Nepala 2012, Finlandia 2012, Cup of Nice 2012. All other scores towards the GP minimums must be met at GPs, championships, Olympics, the Olympic qualifier, Youth Olympic Games, or WTT in the season before.

Last year's Icechallenge, like all 2011-12 internationals and 2012-13 internationals held before championships (unless specifically noted on the yearly communication), count towards meeting the championship TES minimums for this year. They also did Golden Spin and Nesquick last season.

At Icechallenge, their SP TES was 25.07 and their FS TES was 44.74. They made the Euros minimums easily (20, 36), but missed the Worlds minimums (28, 45). ETA: their TES scores were lower at Golden Spin and Nestle Nesquick.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Since it's possible that Montalbano/Krasnopolski won't meet the GP minimum, why weren't Della Monica/Guarise assigned instead? :confused:

Unless the ISU decided to let M/K compete since they only missed the minimum by 0/68.
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Anyone in the Top 75 -- which is all 74 pairs with a qualifying PB from last season -- can be assigned even if they haven't met the GP minimum, but, at least in theory, the assignments are provisional, based on whether they meet the GP minimum in the first five Senior B's -- US International, Nebelhorn, Nepala, and Cup of Nice for Pairs and Finlandia for the other disciplines -- at the beginning of this season.

M/K are listed on the Nebelhorn roster. Martini/Kiefer could also be assigned, since they could meet the minimum at Nepala. (As sammyf wrote, Herbrikova/Halmaert split, and they've been removed from the Nepala roster.)
  10. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

it is and anyone of the competing who did not met the minimum GP
    they can still rack points competing in B Competitions prior to GP
  11. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

As expected, Silete has now been crossed off on the ISU list of entries for COC and TEB. No replacements listed yet.
  12. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Is it in any way possible that Mirai will get TEB? Or is another French skater probably going to get it?
  13. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Is Jeremy Ten still listed for the GP events?
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

He never was. Ten's total score at 2012 Four Continents was 159.22 (#78 on the ISU's 2011-12 SB scores list) and Skate Canada did not make him one of their host picks for Skate Canada this year. Link to a recent discussion on this topic: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3688203#post3688203
  15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ten spoke about still being in pain in the Tweet thing they did at the US International, but yesterday, he tweeted raves about his new boots, so maybe this will bode well for the rest of this season and next.
  16. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

So excited for M/K! Congrats to both The Israeli and Italian teams!
  17. Marshan

Marshan New Member

Personally, I don't think that's gonna be fair if she does. . .
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The French Fed might enter Lena Marocco as a replacement.

Although given how strict they are about their skaters being "good enough", who knows.
  19. Zemgirl

Marrocco is already on the entry list for TEB. But French Masters is in a couple of weeks, and my guess is that if either of the ladies not assigned to TEB (Candice Didier or Lenaƫlle Gilleron-Gory) does well there, she'll get the third spot for France. Otherwise, who knows.
  20. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Is Candice Didier still competing? I hope she is.
    After winning Winter Universiade in 2011,
    we haven't seen her compete in any games.
  21. Zemgirl

She didn't compete last year, I'm not sure why - injuries again? But she's on the most recent entry list for the Masters.
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Doh! You can tell I need sleep. :duh:

Knowing French fed, they won't enter Didier or Gilleron-Gory unless they skate amazingly well at Masters. And that isn't very likely to happen. :p
  23. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

Gilleron-Gory competed this weekend on the jgp, so that would make her ineligible for the GP, no?
  24. Zemgirl

I'll admit I don't really follow the JGP so I hadn't realized she was competing there. In that case I guess it's either Didier or the spot goes to a non-French lady. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be Nagasu, of course.
  25. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

26. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Based on what exactly? Mirai has been passed over for a least 2 substitution spots, which were already questionable selections. Skate Canada didn't place 3 ladies at their own event due to lack of skaters, the French Federation could easily do the same.
  27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I doubt USFS is going to assign someone else to SA. They gave it to Alexe Gilles twice when she wasn't skating well either. Rachael is well known, an Olympian, former US champion, and is a full-time student at Stanford, she'll help attract publicity and audience members. That's probably why she was assigned in the first place, not because they expect her to place well there.
  28. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

There is something very odd about the non-selection of Nagasu. Has she requested to only have 1 GP? Any recent interviews?
  29. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

There were rumors after GP selection that USFSF somehow arranged 2 GPs for Zawadzki by giving her Nagasu's second GP. I don't know if it's actually true, but I guess it makes sense, Nagasu still didn't get second GP when skaters like Gao did
  30. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised by this, after the amount of replacements there have been on the GP so far, Mirai should've had a second GP a while ago. I hope that it has been her choice to only to one GP, if not it's pretty screwed up that she is basically being robbed of a second spot.
  31. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes. skaters have to be submitted to the ISU by the Federations for either junior or senior consideration.

Re:Nagasu, she's the only senior woman in the Top 24 Season's Best except for Czisny (by request) who hasnt't received a second.
  32. Marshan

Marshan New Member

Based on Zawadski is already assigned to Mirai's second GP event ( don't know how USFSA did this. . .).
    Canada opted to promote promising junior ice dance team rather than another mediocre lady. Not sure French Fed will do the same (there's not much USFSA can offer to help Mirai. And...Will they? Really doubtful).
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There are already 3 US skaters entered to SA.
  34. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

it seems they are heavily pusging on Zawadzki and shoving off Mirai
    which doesn't make sense because Zawadzki is equally a headcase
  35. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

But I thought the logic was that Nagasu was the American most likely to be plucked off the substitution list, so she would get a 2nd GP that way. Agnes was unlikely to get a 2nd GP as a sub, so they had to get her one in the initial round of assignments.
  36. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think you are right, it was probably this strategy. However, if no one needs substitute, the strategy may backfire and Mirai will end up with only one GP event.
  37. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

This is so silly. Hopefully she simply turned it down, because she should have been given a second one a while ago. I'm tired of the hosts of the GPs being given the option to fill out their rosters with weaker skaters rather than those who belong there based on ability/score. GPs aren't supposed to be events to showcase the home skaters and make sure they have their best medal chances... GPs are supposed to showcase a top international field of skaters, period.
  38. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If Nagasu didn't turn down a second, then the issue is the ambiguous wording in the announcement that on the one hand seems to say that everyone in the Top 24 should get a second before anyone else is assigned, plus other wording that suggests that the groups of five are set up front and implies that everyone in the first group gets assigned (if possible) before anyone in the second five gets assigned, and the practice which seems to be that after the first is assigned, someone from the second group moves into the selection group of five.
  39. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

I'm surprised with all of the inside :sekret: we have on this board, no one knows whether Nagasu was offered and turned down a second assignment.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  40. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I meant instead of Rachael.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.