2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

France still has a Pairs TBA for TEB, so it's likely that James/Cipres will end up filling that slot?

TBA host spots:
    Skate America: filled today by Lysacek, Castelli/Shnapir, Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus
    Skate Canada: men, ladies, pairs
    Cup of China: men, ladies, dance
    Rostelecom Cup: men, ladies, pairs
    TEB: men, ladies, pairs, dance
    NHK: none

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Last season, all of the host TBA's except France's were on the rosters by 2 September. (France announced in October.) This season, the deadline for confirming the original rosters was 1 August, two weeks earlier than last season. I'm not sure if this will impact the TBA announcements across the board, but from USFS' announcement, I'm guessing the unpublished deadline has been moved closer.

3. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

I kinda wanted Zijun to have 2 GPs, why would she turn it down?

I hope Mirai gets TEB. I'm not sure how I feel about her anymore, except I don't want to write her off already.

4. luCN

luCN New Member

I think the TBA spot of COC is for Zijun,but Kostner didn't compete make her take TEB.you know,Zijun is the most popular skater in china,much popular than other two girls,COC would like to have her to attract more audience.Don't know if she can have the spot after she take down TEB offer...

5. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

I suppose that would depend on the explanation the Chinese Fed gave the ISU. IF they told ISU that the Zijun had been assigned Coc and therefore cannot do TEB .... but I am surprised that her name wasn't simultaneously added to Coc

6. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Two more dance teams to fill GP. Is it possible that Chock/Bates might be on the top list to fill one of these spots which made them not being picked for SA? I was surprised that they were not picked despite doing well at LP, beat the other team. Not sure what was the strategy behind it.

7. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Those two spots are HOST spots (more likely Yu/Wang and Zahorski/Miart), so unless a team withdraws previously enough to be replaced C&B will only have 1 event this year.

8. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

And unfair to us because Mirai is much more exciting. :( (in my opinion ;) )

10. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

C/B already on list for China, so the only possibility for them is TEB, right?

11. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

If they went through Li and Gao, I would think that Nagasu turned down the pick possibly? I'm not entirely sure - yes, the French fed would certainly want to make it easier for their skaters but with or without Nagasu it's already a relatively difficult field.

12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gao has two GP events? Mirai even though she's struggled the last year or two has done much better then Christina has on the GP and still has more potential.

13. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

IMO, Gao got it over Nagasu because Gao is less competition for the French ladies.

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Well, duh, but according to their own policies, which were created to avoid diluted fields, Nagasu should have had the spot, unless it was declined.

15. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Not quite. That TEB is a HOST spot, more than likely reserved for Zahorski & Miart. If the French decide not to use it on their own teams they could chose any of the top 5 from the substitute list but I dont think thats gonna hapen.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sorry, didn't see the quote.

17. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

I really think Mirai's team probably turned it down. Mirai has never been an early season skater and she has little to gain in getting a second event, as she is unlikely to get on GPF and the judges have already proven they're willing to give her good scores when she does well.

Also since she finished outside of the top 5 last year, doesn't she have to go through qualifying now to get to Nationals? Basically if she did TEB, she would end up having to do three competitions in three weeks (Cup of China Nov. 2-4; Pacific Coast Sectionals Nov. 9-13; TEB Nov. 16-18). Although she could get a bye if she did TEB, yes?

Hi, new poster and long-time lurker. (And yes, I'm the same Mrs. P from GS.)

ETA: Sectionals, not regionals.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

Based on the event dates for Cup of China, she would most likely have to compete at Regionals, but get a bye out of Sectionals (I think you probably meant Sectionals in your post).

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

As of right now, Nagasu is scheduled to compete at her Regional Championships (Southwest Pacific, Oct. 12-16) but should have a bye through the Pacific Coast Sectional Championships to Nationals due to Cup of China being the week before.

I doubt Nagasu and her team would decline a 2nd GP assignment and think it's more likely that the French federation just elected not to choose her.

ETA: Rachael Flatt's Skate America assignment should get her out of her Regionals but it currently appears she will have to compete at Sectionals in order to qualify for Nationals.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Oh....so she plans to compete at Nationals this year? I thought she was done.

21. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I doubt USFS would have chosen her for SA if she weren't intending to compete this year in the US qualifying season.

22. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Rachael has never indicated any intention of hanging up her competitive skates. It's her non-fans who have declared her retired.

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

And there are already 3 Russian ladies there, so the 3 Russian ladies who each only have 1 assignment but all have higher SB scores than Gao (Shelepen, Biryukova, and Korobeynikova) couldn't be sent. So it was down to Gao or Nagasu and Gao was picked, like you mentioned because it is more likely Silete and Meite can beat her than Nagasu.

24. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I think we should blame the USFSA for Mirai being in this situation at all. USFSA thought they were working the system and Mirai would be a no brainer to be picked up as a replacement. I guess they didn't consider the other feds would play ball too.

(Of course you could say Mirai messed up at Nationals and that is her own fault but that story have been beaten to death.)

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Tammi and (deleted member) like this.
  26. jlai

jlai Title-less

actually I don't think skaters doing regional/sectional instead of GP is a bad thing. Last two seasons, a skater who had to do just that had a breakthrough season (Czisny and then Zhang. ETA: Also Carriere)

27. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

For me, it's more that it's nice for other skaters to have a chance to get to nationals. Skaters like Czisny, Zhang, Nagasu or Flatt should have no trouble getting through regionals/sectionals, but it means that one fewer skater gets the chance to compete. And Midwesterns, at least, is shaping up to be potentially pretty deep in senior ladies this year (Flatt, Bereswill, Gilles, Dobbs, Baga, Jiang, Miller, Dinh, Cain, and Morgan Bell could each potentially be there).

28. skfan

skfan Member

ITA. there are a lot of skaters i love who might not make it out of mids and especially out of pacific coast sectionals this coming season. i so wish they could all be at nationals. that's why i'm crossing my fingers for keiser, wang, lam and hicks to all make JGPF! oh, and miller and cain as well... :lol:

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Except in Nagasu's case

if she skates well at GP: she loses a chance to get ISU points, some prize money, a GP medal and a GPF berth.

if she skates poorly at sectionals: she doesn't qualify for Nationals

30. change of edge

change of edge New Member

Not to mention missing out on another chance to build reputation if she's skating well consistently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.