2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gliding on ice

Gliding on ice New Member

IMHO, Han Yan still being held in the Junior circuit is a combination of the Chinese Federation not giving enough attention to the discipline of men’s singles, underestimating their young star’s potential, and their ultimate reluctance to reject the tradition of keeping skaters in the junior circuit till they age out :scream:
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I don't get this reputation saving face at all
    why sacrifice it when you have a good chance of your skaters giving you 2 or even 3 spots for an Olympics
  3. missing

missing Well-Known Member

Is it Han Yan or Yan Han? I know the last name should go first, but I'm uncertain which is his last name and which is his first.

I have great fondness for skaters with easy to spell names, but I'd hate to write such an easy name incorrectly.
  4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Its last name first (Han) , then his first name (Yan)
  5. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Yan is actually his last name.
  6. Gliding on ice

Gliding on ice New Member

The Chinese fed would prefer to have more spots for the Olympics. The problem is, however, China has only one spot for Worlds next year, so the question becomes who should be sent.

Elsewhere, this decision would be based on a skater's capability, i.e. results from Nationals would be considered, and perhaps performances at GP as well.

But in China, certain people, motivated by their narrowly defined self-interest, would use their influence behind the scenes to sway the decision. Unfortunately, young talents often get wasted during this ugly process as they would never be afforded the opportunity to shine.
  7. NMURA

NMURA Member

China wants the olympic spots anyway. Nan Song is given the chances to prove his worth. If Han Yan competes as a senior, the international judges could dump Song with no remorse. With all paternalistic considerations, if Song doesn't do well at GPS, the Chinese federation may change their minds.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I can't understand why ISU doesn't do what the IOC was doing during 2012 Olympics.

Surnames were written in capitals.

So you'd have something like: Patrick CHAN but YAN Han.

It's really disrespectful and colonialist to keep writing Chinese names the way "we" do it.
    barbk and (deleted member) like this.
  9. skatingwatcher

skatingwatcher New Member

I understand that there is LOTS more to this story, than "since Schultz broke up with Steele in July".
    Better get the whole story before you simply post rumors!
  10. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I mentioned the "hearsay" posts in the Skate Canada High Performance Camp thread and noted that Steele/Schultz are still listed on the National Team (I just saw that you have cross-posted there as well): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3676289#post3676289
  11. Hedwig

Hedwig New Member

Well, then enlighten us, please.
  12. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

They capitalize in the bios, and they've experiemented in the past with results pages (or maybe those were just mistakes)
  13. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Have to disagree with you Ziggy. If it's good enough for the Japanese and Hungarians, it should be the same for the Koreans and Chinese.
  14. Sylvia

Hausch/Wende GER have been crossed off the Rostelecom Cup pairs roster in the Sept. 14 update. (Sui/Han are still listed for CoC & NHK.)
  15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

As far as non-host substitutes go, the only eligible senior Pairs -- i.e. have met the GP minimum -- for a first or second event are:

20-Vise/Baldwin (CAN)
    34-Zhang/Wang, if they're still together and are healthy
    40-Della Monica/Guarise
    43-Duarte/Grafton
    51-Bakirova/Kamianchuk

If Sui/Han are, indeed, out, I wouldn't be surprised if they were pulled at the last minute. There are already three American pairs at NHK, which would limit the teams who could replace them there.
  16. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh no? any news why? injury?
    they seemd to be cursed in the last time...
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

18. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Question on the substitution rules. With medalling at the US Senior B will Aaron, Mahbandozadeh and Miner be put on top of the sustitutes list now?
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

No. Only the winner of a Senior B is put at the bottom of the substitutions list, after Top 75 SB. (That, of course, assumes that they're following what's in the GP Announcement.) Men have to meet the GP minimum of 159.66, which Aaron nearly did in his FS alone.

Mahbanoozadeh is already #41 on the SB list, Miner has two GP's already (CAN, JPN), and Dolensky is #53 SB. Both Mahbanoozadeh and Dolensky are on the substitutes list above winner Aaron.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  20. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

I know there has been discussion of this already... but the fact that Silete will withdraw has been confirmed.

Source:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120917&content_id=38561934&vkey=ice_news
    Quote:
    "It has been just five weeks since two-time French champion Yrétha Silété was severely injured during a practice session. Though she is now ready to leave her rehabilitation center in the Alps, she does not plan to be back on the ice before January at best. "

I wonder why this has not yet been reflected in the ISU rosters?
  21. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Silete. :(
  22. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

What was Silete's injury? It sounds severe.
  23. Sylvia

24. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

The French Fed will probably announce their final TEB spots after the Master competition on October 6th. That is what they usually do. I don't see any reason why they would hold onto Yretha's other spot. Lena Marrocco is 53rd on the ISU ranking. I don't see her getting a second GP, but stranger things have happened.
  25. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

How old is Amelie Lacoste? Seems like she has been competing forever!
  26. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Lacoste will turn 24 in December.
  27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

flowerpower posted in the Canadian Pairs 2012 thread a report that Dube has an ankle injury, Skate Canada is monitoring her condition, and her status is iffy for Skate America. Since there are only five pairs who've made the GP minimum but don't have two, have split, or have withdrawn, and the US already has three teams, that leaves Zhang/Wang (if they're still together), Della Monica/Guarise, and Bakirova/Kamianchuk as the only substitutes.

I'd love to see Della Monica/Guarise, and if they could scrape together the money to pay for some lessons with Vasiliev, they might be able to arrange a return ticket through Chicago.
  28. demetriosj

Of the US Ladies Grand Prix skaters, who has to compete at either their regional or sectional?
  29. Sylvia

AFAIK, no U.S. Grand Prix ladies or men have to compete at Regionals. As of now, Rachael Flatt does not have a bye through Midwestern Sectionals in November.
  30. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

In Russia during the test skates I heard that the Russian Federation is preparing to replace Dubé/Wolfe and Hausch/Wende for Cup of Russia. Also, there has been (so far unconfirmed) information that the Belarus couple Bakirova/Kamianchuk has split up, too. Soon, there won't be replacements left.
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  31. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There is only one US team at RC: the Russian Fed could choose two of Della Monica/Guarise (who don't have any), Vise/Baldwin (the only Top 24 team with one [SC]), and Zhang/Wang (if they are together, were submitted, etc.)

DM/G could go from zero to two by replacing D/W at SA and RC.
  32. demetriosj

So by virtue of being in the Grand Prix, you are not required to do regionals?
  33. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

If your Regional and/or Sectional event falls within one week of your international event, you receive a bye.

For example, Nagasu receives a bye through SWP Regionals because of her Finlandia Trophy assignment, as well as a bye through Pacific Coast Sectionals due to her Cup of China assignment less than one week before.
  34. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Such a shame. :(

Hopefully Della Monica/Guarise will come out with 2 GPs out of this at least.
  35. Sylvia

36. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Sad, but good for them!
  37. Sylvia

Tiffany Vise just tweeted:

"Just got assigned to the Grand Prix Rostelecom Cup. It's in Moscow in November! I'm so excited, first trip to Russia."

This must be Hausch/Wende's spot that Vise/Baldwin are filling (ETA that this change is not yet published on the ISU site).
  38. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

It's reflected on the complete entries list. Dube/Wolfe have been pulled from both assignments.
  39. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Glad to see both the Italians and the Israelis getting an assignment!
  40. Sylvia

Thanks! The ISR pair of Montalbano/Krasnapolsky are replacing Dube/Wolfe at Skate America; Della Monica/Guarise (ITA) have been added to Russia.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.