2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Host country politics. Am starting to wonder if China will really give a third lady the CoC spot of if they take one of the French instead

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

:duh: This is why it didn't apply to the Men: they were 25 or below in SB. However, the exact order among the Ladies was:

8 Czisny -- assumed passed due to injury, then

11 Nagasu -- couldn't do CoC, but could have done TEB two weeks later
    14 Korpi -- assigned to CoC, with initial assignment at CoR the following week
    16 Biryukova -- initial assignment NHK the following week
    17 Korobeyikova -- already assigned to TEB
    19 Shelepen -- initial assignment NHK the following week

The language of the GP Announcement said that they created groups of five: the only way that Li should have been considered is if 1. As soon as Korpi was chosen, Li moved into the group of five as the next one (24) on the list, and they aren't going by strict groups of five, perhaps in general or perhaps only among the Top 24, or 2. The Russian Fed and USFS passed on behalf of their skaters, and then they went to Group 2 of five, where the Top 24 skaters had to be picked first.

Li, like Biryukova and Shelpen, was already assigned to NHK, so it's not as if the ISU automatically passed on skaters who would have back-to-back assignments and had to travel from Europe to Asia or vice versa, and they allowed China to choose Korpi to do China->Russia, when Russia->France ->Finland would have been a more reasonable competition schedule.

3. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Can we just accept they are chosing their susbtitutes as they please ignoring all their convoluted regulations?? It's better that way :lol:

Plus the feds have shown more than once they don't really care about the skater invited having another event the previous or following week.

4. aliona22

aliona22 Member

that's not fair... TEB annually produces the strongest ladies field on the GP.

5. SamuraiK

Now will CHINA give their TBA spot to a chinese lady (Quiuying Zhu probably) or chose a foreign skater instead (hopefully Biryukova/Korobeynikova/Shelepen).

6. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

It used to be the case when the French ladies had no chance whatsoever. Now, that Meite and Silete can actually land jumps and hope for a decent placement, the field is getting softer.

7. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Not a ticket-holder here, but I think Li is an exciting young skater, and I'd much rather see her than, say, Shelepen. Or Biryukova.

8. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

I can't understand why Chinese federation didn't give the TBA spot at CoC to Zijun.:confused:
    Traveling from China to Paris and again flying back to Japan in two weeks is really tight and demanding schedule.

I hope Zijun get over this and make a successful debut at GPS.

9. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Is it really that much further to travel to Japan than to Shanghai from Beijing where she trains?

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Yay for Li Zijun having 2 assignments! Zhang Kexin also has two, right?

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Zhang was guaranteed two by placing top 12 at Worlds.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

To keep their TBA spot for another skater (who would be unable to get a GP spot otherwise - like Quiying Zhu).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  13. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

TEB couldn't go to a Russian lady, they already have 3 of them: Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA RUS -Julia LIPNITSKAIA RUS -Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS and China may save their spot to another chinese

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

You're right -- I was looking in the wrong column when counting up Russian Ladies. The French Fed would have had to go to the next group of five, and Li is the only Ladies skater in the Top 24 in the second group of five (Li, Gao, Lacoste, J. Helgesson, Flatt*)

*Hae-Jin Kim is staying Jr., yes? If not, then she's in the group and Flatt is in Group 3.

15. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

Now Zijun's name disappears from TEB:eek: (The issued date of the list is August 9).
    And no replacement and the number of the competitors is 9.
    Zijun turned down the offer from TEB?
    I think it would be much better for her to compete at CoC.

16. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

My money is on Lacoste. Nice skater but struggling with the jumps lately. Perfect for a softer field....and she speaks French!

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Lysacek will get the TBA spot at SA. He announced his comeback on the Today Show. (See other EL thread here in GSD)

18. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Yes, she is going to JGP this year.

19. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the duel between Lysacek and Abbott at Skate America this year.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

21. olympic

I wonder if C/S's LP at Indy cemented the USFSA's decision for the TBA spot. But, weren't C/S high on the substitute list for another slot? If so, I think it would've been more strategic to give SA to someone like Z/B or S/K ...

22. icellist

icellist Member

Mirai still has a chance! :cheer2:

23. SamuraiK

Zijun must have turned down the TEB offer for sure.. Now the question is, can you turn down an invitation and still get your host spot (COC) later???

So Next 5 Ladies to chose for TEB are:

Nagasu
    Gao
    Lacoste
    Helgesson J
    Flatt

NO russian ladies cause there are already 3 entered.

24. valyrian

valyrian New Member

No Grand Prix for Armin? :( I was so hopeful!

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why does USFS continue to favour Castelli/Shnapir (who've been given many opportunities already) when they have so many exciting new teams making a mark during the summer comps? :/

26. olympic

It seems Mirai would be a no-brainer at this point. Not only is she by far the highest on the list of substitutes, but she's been a medalist at TEB, and the trip to Paris would be relatively simple

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Nagasu should have had the TEB spot originally, as the only one in the first group of five who wasn't assigned (Korpi) or ineligible (three Russian Ladies already), and in the Top 24.

But, then again, this is the organization that accepted more Chinese pairs entries than had earned spots.

28. olympic

He has a chronic problem with SBS jumps. He's the American version of Stanislav Morozov and I'm getting doubtful that his jumps will ever be fixed. Also, I've never figured out this pair's obsession with a throw 3x that they never land

As I posted above, I think S/K or Z/B at SA would strategically be better, since I think C/S are high on the substitute list for a non-USA GP spot (is that the case?).

29. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

Regarding Castelli and Shnapir, perhaps there will be more confidence in their ability to score well if they can manage to produce the throw quadruple salchow that they have been practicing at one of their Grand Prix events. I am starting to believe that they have a bigger chance of getting that to happen than they do of getting the throw triple axel.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The top skaters with one:

Vise/Baldwin (SC) #20 SB
    James/Cipres (SA) #24 SB
    Castelli/Shnapir (NHK) #26 SB
    Gerboldt/Enbert (SC) #27 SB
    Hausch/Wende (RC) #28 SB

Theoretically, C/S wouldn't be chosen higher than the third sub, since there are two Top 24 teams with only one, but, that too depends on the number of competitors from each country, which are maxed out at:

USA: SA and NHK
    CAN: SC
    CHN: CoC
    RUS: RC

They could have been chosen as low as 5th sub, but then, Nagasu was skipped for TEB when she was the only one of the Top 5 group who could go (wasn't already assigned, weren't already three Russian Ladies assigned).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.