2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Cynthia Phaneuf is out of consideration for GP due to a back injury:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84237

She was not assigned a spot in the general selection, but there was a TBD for Ladies at Skate Canada. She's far enough down the SB list that an alternates spot wasn't very likely.

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  2. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

I wonder who will get that spot now. Maybe a skate off at a senior B between Desanctis and Najarro.

3. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

My thoughts exactly ... it's definitely going to be either of these 2.

4. fan

fan Well-Known Member

it could also potentially be samson if she returns and monitors well.

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

please, i really wanna see her again in competition

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Contesti's spots have been assigned to:

Sergei Voronov (COC)
    Jinlin Guan (TEB)

All of the Top 24 SB competing Senior, with the exception of Plushenko (none) were assigned two in the initial assignments.

Before selection, the Top 6 -- Ge and Guan were tied at 31 -- with zero or one were:

25-Voronov
    28-Hendrickx (already assigned to TEB)
    29-Rogozine (assigned to NHK the week after TEB)
    30-Dmitriev (injured?, already assigned to CoC)
    31-Ge
    31 Guan

I don't see any tie-breaker rules for SB, and it's possible that Ge and Guan were added together and the order on the SB list was alphabetical, or Ge was never submitted for GP (which doesn't make sense).

The wording on the GP announcement suggests that the grouping is static and that all of the men (if possible) in the Top 5 (or 6 with tie) would be assigned before someone else moved up to the Top 5 list. If not, Bush would be slotted into the remaining skaters in the group if Ge is in it, or Bush and Menshov if Ge is not in it.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks for the update, kwanfan1818. So both Voronov and Guan have received second GP assignments.

Myriane Samson has returned to competition - link to a brief update if you missed seeing it posted in another thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3617988#post3617988

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

For whatever reason, the ISU published Ladies and Pairs sheets dated July 13, but I don't see any changes from the originals posted on May 21.

9. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Would have rather seen Ge at TEB...

10. analia

analia Active Member

Misha doesn't have a fed pulling for him I suppose. Dimitrev's COC spot can still go to him though. Chinese fed is friendly with Misha's parents, or at least some coaches do.

11. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

As posted in the Carlina Kostner thread (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3642710#post3642710)

Do we have a sense of whose at the top of the alternate/replacement/substitute list, that could fill Carolina's spots?

12. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

From Sylvia's post #335 in this thread (taking out Kexin Zhang who has 2 now)

LADIES
    1 GP assignment received (listed in order of ISU SB score ranking):
    8 Alissa Czisny USA (NHK; #4 in World Standings; currently recovering from surgery on 6/6)
    11 Mirai Nagasu USA (Cup of China; #13 in WS)
    14 Kiira Korpi FIN (Rostelecom Cup; #5 in WS)
    15 Sofia Biryukova RUS (NHK)
    17 Polina Korobeynikova RUS (TEB)
    19 Polina Shelepen RUS (NHK; #23 in WS)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  13. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

My (hopeful) guesses: I would guess that Nagasu will get TEB.

as for China: With Korpi already at Rostelecom, she may be out of luck in terms of the timing. Biryukova or one of the other Russian ladies may get it instead.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  14. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I think Korpi might well get TEB since the French Fed tends to use European skaters (cheaper flights) for their subs.

I really hope either Korobeynikova or Biryukova get Cup of China.

15. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

That is a very very strong substitute list. They all deserve 2 GP. Those "subs" could come in and win a GP, so we will have to pay attention to the host federations' strategies.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It still isn't clear from the contradictory wording* of the GP announcement whether they are supposed to be assigned in the order of their SB if they were Top 24 SB, or whether the host can choose any of the top five, including the Top 24 SB.

*The wording says, "The alternate list needs to be worked through in ranking order for the top 24 ranked skaters/couples according to their Season's Best. All skaters/couples of the alternates list will be grouped in top ranked groups of five (5) skaters, out of which the respective Organizing Member may pick one skater/couple for invitation." For the Top 24 SB, they can't be both chosen in ranking order and in any order within their group of five based on OM's preference.

If the former, and there is no strategy involved, then, assuming the Czisny passes because of injury recovery, that Nagasu, who is assigned to CoC, should get Kostner's spot at TEB. Korpi should be next in line, but she's already at RC, which would mean back-to-back competitions for her, traveling from China to Russia. (Even if she were considered for TEB, she would be going from Russia to Paris, although that isn't that much longer to travel or time-zone adjustment-wise than the SA/SC tandem that skaters do, when they are on different coasts.)

Were Korpi skipped because CoC and RC are back-to-back, then Biryukova, who has NHK, would be next in line.

17. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Voronov and Guan were assigned to Contesti's vacant spots withouth being the first two in order so I guess the "chose anyone from top 5 alternates" apply.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Voronov was first in the order. What shows that FRA was able to choose from the Top 5, was that Guan was chosen over Dmmitriev, both of whom were assigned to CoC. (Hendrickx was already assigned to TEB and Rogozine has NHK the week after.)

I wish they'd remove the conflicting information, because "ranking order" on its own applies to all skaters in the Top 75 who've met the GP minimum, and it only pertains to the creation of groups. Since they do mention being broken into groups, and not moving someone lower in the list in to become part of Top 5, Hendrickx, Rogozine, and Dmitriev should be considered next.

19. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

US men -

After some summer comps and assuming that Evan won't skate this year (wouldn't we have heard something by now?), I think Armin is a safer bet for the TBA slot at SA. He rocked at the Vail open. Plus, the other US men w/o a spot (Carriere, Aaron, Messing, Mroz) were either subpar or downright craptacular. I think only a scintillating performance from 1 of these 4 at Nebelhorn or Finlandia could change the trajectory (when does the USFSA choose the open slots, anyway?)

US pairs -

Thinking the TBA spot at SA will go to Z/B. They're doing quite well and very motivated. I think D/L and C/S have good options to be substitutes

20. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Hochstein should be in this conversation too. He was strong at Glacier Falls. I'd put him right behind Armin in the pecking order for the SA spot right now.

21. chika3

chika3 Member

22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Seems like Carolina Kostner is out of the GP series. Why, what happened?:confused:

23. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

management told in an italian interview, she would bestead her boyfriend alex schwarzer in his bad time (positive doping test).

despite that she resumed training not berfore july, so she will not be in form for the early competition. kostners first appearance should be the italian championships in december, afther that euros and worlds.

24. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Zijun Li has just replaced Kostner at TEB. I assume she will also get the TBA at CoC.

25. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Zijun :cheer:

Zijun won't be at CoC, though since she's already assigned to NHK along with TEB.

26. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! :duh:

27. change of edge

change of edge New Member

A little surprised that Zijun got the spot, since she wasn't in the top 5 of last year's SB. Was hoping that Mirai would get it, with this year's programs she might have a legit shot at the GPF

28. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

What's the strategy from the French Fed? Be nice to the Chinese so that they return the favors? Getting a softer field? They could care less about paying ticket holders who would rather see a stronger skater!!!!!

29. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

How in the heck did Li get that assignment?

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

See the sentence I bolded above - Zijun Li is #24 on the Season Best list: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3588715&postcount=335

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.