2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Alternate Selection (continued)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 15, 2012.

1. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

This. Plus it messes up the seeding...

2. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Anything is possible, but Aliona was already running a fever in Windsor, so if the withdrawal is strategic it was planned well in advance. Plus, since the Germans are going to have to face off against the Russians in Sochi in 2014, I would think getting a competition done there prior to the Olympics would be a benefit.

3. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:watch: Race for the GPF would be more interesting if Osmond gets to be the replacement skater. I would think they would have to send out an invite to someone ASAP though, if Czisny will be replaced.

4. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

So Alissa's out of NHK...I wonder who will get the invite?

5. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

And the cynic in me can't help but think Czisny was holding off until the last minute so Nagasu wouldn't get a spot. :slinkaway
    Czisny and Nagasu are pretty much on the same level right now reputation-wise and having a lot to prove, so was it coincidence Czisny finally withdrew almost immediately after it was announced Nagasu got a spot anyway?
    I think I watch too much competitive reality shows... :shuffle:

6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

- Maybe Czisny didn't want to face Nagasu so she pulled out when she learned of the replacement...

- Maybe Czisny conspired with USFS, the Russian fed and the Japanese fed to keep out Osmond so she waited until the deadline to replace had passed...

- Maybe Czisny has something against JSF and didn't want to compete at NHK

- Maybe Czisny isn't really injured, but wanted to keep someone else out

- (insert conspiracy theory here)

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Another thing they could do to increase the alternates list is to allow non-split couple host skaters who didn't make last season's Top 75 SB list and who make the GP minimums at this season's host event to be added to the list.

8. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I acknowledged it was far-fetched, sweetie.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I know. I'm just having fun. It's far from the only one I've heard being thrown around...

10. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Maybe Alissa withdrew because she got a deal with USFS to go compete for Azerbaijan in the Olympic season? :D

Not that they'd release her in just a year, anyway, but I'm just trying to add to the conspiracy party!

11. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

^^^
    THIS!!

Awesome news for Mirai! That being said-I'm sorry Polina was injured. It's unfortunate but a real chance for Mirai to step it up a notch before Nationals!

12. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Cases like that are of course possible but Aljona is really ill. :(

13. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Active Member

M/K are out for a bit...Danielle broker her ankle and is having surgery tomorrow.

14. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

seems like Kaetlyn won't be at NHK :( :( :(

Skate Canada &#8207;@SkateCanada

@figurskater we inquired about Kaetlyn at NHK but bc the withdraw was within 7 days of the event it was not possible to have her at it

15. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

But it wasn't within 7 days of the start of NHK, was it? :(

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

No, it wasn't. The GP Announcement says that up to 14 days before an event starts, the spot must be filled, and that "at the seven day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member." It says nothing between <14 and > 7 days, and it doesn't say that the 14 and 7 days are before an entry deadline, like championships, where substitutions have to be finalized at the beginning of the week.

Czisny's withdrawal is dated 14 November on the GP Ladies grid, and the ISU website lists the dates of NHK as 23-25 November. That math doesn't work.

The idea that the spot was owed Osmond or that she'd be the first in line for it is flawed anyway: the Japanese Fed could have chosen any one of the five women in the current alternates group, and there are two skaters who would be more strategic choices.

17. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

Perhaps the event is considered to start on the first day of practice rather than on the first day of competition? That actually seems logical to me.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The GP Announcement reads:
    The Team Leaders' meeting is usually held on the first day of official practice (Thursday).

ETA: In any case, most of us fans believe the ISU procedure of selecting GP alternates leaves much to be desired - who knows if it can be improved for next season?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

It's a shame that Osmond doesn't get to go, and even a bigger shame that the spot will go unfilled :(

Just to seek some clarification: does it mean she likely won't be invited, or it's certain she won't be invited?

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If the Team Leader's meeting is the Thursday before the event, then that's 22 November, and the 14th November is eight days prior to it, not seven. Again, the GP announcement doesn't address withdrawals less than 14 days of the team leader's event, which would have been starting the 9 November and more than seven days before Team Leader's meeting, or today, 15 November. The seven-day period before next Thursday starts tomorrow (Friday). Czisny's withdrawal occurred in this undefined period.

I think we all know it can be, but the question is, will they bother?

21. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

What a shame, I would've loved to see how Kaetlyn looked a month after her GP win. Would've made NHK a lot more interesting.

22. fan

fan Well-Known Member

i wonder if there's anyone we can all mass email at either the japanese federation or skate can to take up her case? what a shame for there to be a wasted spot...

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Why would you take up her case more than for the other four Ladies who are part of the alternates selection group?

Nagasu had reason to be selected above any alternate outside the Top 24 SB, because of the wording in the GP Announcement, but no skater from Top 25-75 or from the winners of the Senior B's through Cup of Nice has priority over any other.

24. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I understand waiting until the last minute to see if you can go, but seriously, couldn't Alissa have given word she was withdrawing a couple of days before? :rolleyes: Illnesses or unexpected injuries are one thing and advance notice isn't necessarily possible, but I think athletes should try to step aside while it's still possible to bring in a replacement.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If the NHK Team Leaders' meeting is earlier than for other events, or the ISU just can't count, or because there is no rule for <14 and >7 days, maybe it was in USFS' best interest as well to announce it as late as possible to avoid a replacement, because before TEB started, both Gao and Zawadzki had shots at GPF. Avoiding a replacement altogether might be dismaying for Skate Canada, but they'd be :EVILLE: if the Japanese Fed played it smart and chose someone else from the list.

26. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Well played USFSA :( I for one wouldn't be surprised if they knew about Alissa's withdrawl for a few days at least and waited until the last minute to withdraw her to make sure their own skaters have better changes at getting into the Final.

Dear ISU please change the substitute rules! I would sugggest something like this :p
    SGP Winner without a second assignment are No. 1 on the substitute list and have to be chosen as soon as the first spot frees up

27. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

On another note, I would be very upset to have purchased tickets, and travelled (sometimes at great exprense) to see a watered down Grand Prix event. The powers that be should really facilitate adding alternates when necessary, and perhaps there should be some sort of punitive cost for delaying. JMO.:)

28. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

How could you prove a withdrawal was 'delayed?'

29. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Well the other part here too is purely Alissa. If I'm her I want to have every chance to make it to NHK. Coming back from injury I'm sure she's improving a lot each day although she's still getting everything back. I'd want to wait until the last minute just in case by some miracle I get everything back and can be ready to go. You can't make that call 2-3 weeks out, because you convince yourself you can get ready. So, I don't fault anyone over this and she did WD over 7 days from the start of the event to leave some kind of window there.

I got no issues with what went down. I'm just disappointed Japanese Fed didn't seize the opportunity to replace her.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Why would the Japanese Fed seize the opportunity to replace her? At this late date, a replacement is unlikely to sell more tickets, and it's just more logistics for them, at best, and more competition for their Ladies who are vying for GP points, at worst.