2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Alternate Selection (continued)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Would NHK want to invite someone that could steal a medal away from a Japanese skater? I expect Mirai to be invited. If Osmond goes, then Skate Canada had something to do with it.

I hope it's Kaetlyn!!

2. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

Castelli & Shnapir currently lead in Graz by a ridiculous margin. I think if anyone gets that spot, it'll be S&K.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Osmond has performed better this season and a valid choice. But if she goes to NHK she can jeopardize the medal chances of the Japanese ladies there and the GPF chances of all Japanese ladies (esp. Murakami).

Nagasu is much better known in Japan and isn't as much a threat for the podium at NHK. With a 4th place at her first event she isn't a real GPF threat...

I think the choice is obvious if it is just up to JSF.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Nagasu is a no-brainer for an NHK pick: she hasn't been strong, and the press loves her because she speaks some Japanese.

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

How bizarre it is to have Kaetlyn Osmond having more of a chance at beating the Japanese skaters than Mirai Nagasu. I can't quite get my head around it, truthfully.

7. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

Crazy isn't it??

8. tkaug

tkaug Member

It would be wonderful to watch if Osmond were invited to NHK Trophy and beated those Japanese ladies, but I don't think she would be able to have the same kind of performance as she did at SC.
    She didn't have to think about qualifying for GPF at SC but this one would be different.

9. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Normally I would agree, but there are two other factors.

1. She's skating OUTSIDE of Canada so there is less pressure that way. Canadians tend to feel very at home skating in Japan and perform well there. I think there's more pressure skating at home and in your first GP all in one shot.
    2. Kaetlyn is one of those very rare Canadians who embraces competing and the spotlight. Although it's unrealistic to expect her to perform well every time out I'm not convinced she will be one to fall apart under pressure. If she does we'll see it in London...not at NHK.

10. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

It's really better to do a little research before making such generalizations. The only Canadians who have performed consistently well at NHK over the previous 5 years (2007-2011) have been ice dancers. Ladies have done the worst:

LADIES-Phaneuf 6th, 7th, 11th; Szmiett 12th; Hawker 7th

MEN-Reynolds 4th; Sawyer 5th, 9th; J Ten 11th, 12th; Chipeur 11th, 11th

PAIRS-Dube/Davison 3rd; Brodeur/Matatall 5th, 6th; Langlois/Hay 5th; Lawrence/Swiegers 7th; Purich/Schultz 8th; Pisotta/Stewart 8th

DANCE-V/M 2nd; W/P 2nd, 2nd, 7th; C/P 3rd; H-M/C 7th

Perhaps, but OTOH, having a friendly, welcoming crowd is very helpful.

12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I didn't say our results were spectacular at all NHK events but thanks for the feedback.

Canadians tend to be stiff in competition but Japan provides friendly confines to feel comfortable performing.
    Rochette and Buttle have had some excellent performances there, but I wasn't metricking results. And, my generalizations extended beyond NHK...even into show skating. Regrets I wasn't clearer.

PS our women 'generally' suck everywhere. Feel free to pull stats to validate or refute.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'm so happy that S/K get the opportunity to skate in an important international competition prior to Nationals!

15. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think Kaetlyn's win was a fluke more than anything. Since when has such unknown skater received that kind of PCS at her first GP event? I'm so surprised people are gushing over Osmond as if she's the next big thing in ladies skating. She's still pretty untested and her jump technique isn't exactly the most pure.

Either way, I think Nagasu will finally be getting her second GP.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Cynthia Phaneuf anyone?

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Regardless of the PCS Osmond received, she can land more than one proper triple in her FS.

18. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I dunno. She might be unknown on the bigger stages, but she won the Nationals SP last season, and her scores at Nebelhorn (and SC) would have placed her in the top ten at Worlds. I agree, she's still pretty untested and I'm not even convinced she's a bigger threat than Nagasu, but the mere idea is rather headspinning.

I don't think people think she's the next big thing in ladies figure skating. But I think it's pretty clear she's the next big thing in CANADIAN ladies figure skating. Big fish, small pond, etc.

19. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Well, the JSF should be announcing Polina's replacement at NHK any day now ....

21. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

On the ISU site, Nagasu is listed for NHK with (new) beside her name. Looks like done deal.

22. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

That is good news for Mirai! I hope she does well at NHK!

23. icellist

icellist Member

Finally...

24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Czisny is not a lock for NHK either. An icenetwork article about a show she did with Hamilton was posted 11/5. Said this was her first performance since getting back to the ice only in September (ouch). Article said she struggled with her jumps (more ouch). Her quote cited the difficulty of coming back and that "hopefully" she can be ready for NHK.

It's obviously up to her if she goes or not and I do wish her full recovery. But if she's not ready I hope she doesn't leave it to the very last minute such that no replacement can be named.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Good for Nagasu, finally this will stop the bickering about her...

27. kalle

kalle New Member

Oh, that would be good news :swoon:

I hope she can step it out from COR and clean up some of the landings she has/had trouble with..I am still rather positive that she scored almost 60points in her SP despite the bad landing on her second 3T..It is another story for her LP but again, I am hopeful another competition will do her good before Nationals.

28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I don't care if Mirai falls all over the place so long as she's skating aggressively and rotating everything. Have to start somewhere!

I wish we had more details about Czisny's performance in Scott's show. Did she struggle on her jumps like normal or struggle in a new way, clearly affected by the injury?

29. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Happy for Mirai, finally :cheer:

30. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Doesn't really surprise me ;) The Japanese Fed has always been good to Skaters with some kind of Japanese Background. They have been inviting Mari Vartmann & partner(s) pretty much every single time they were eligible too.

Great for Mirai, but really sorry for Osmond!