2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Alternate Selection (continued)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

With Schultheiss having back surgery, I'm assuming whatever events he had (NHK?) would now be open to subs as well.

2. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Schultheiss didn't have any GP events.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Both pairs were added to NHK Trophy today. :)

Chafik Besseghier was officially added to TEB today on the ISU site (replacing Romain Ponsart).

News thread started in GSD today: Narumi Takahashi out of GP series

4. patinage

patinage Member

5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

this is getting ridiculous , Pairs an endangered discipline :drama:
    Yes only 6 pairs left in CoC , all alternates have been used !

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

They can't be chosen by the current rules, because they didn't win one of the Fall Senior B's, like Martyusheva/Rogonov.

On the other hand, Montalbano/Krasnopolski didn't reach the GP minimum before competing at Skate America, despite two attempts in Fall Senior B's, and they didn't make it at Skate America, either. Rulz, schmulz.

I haven't checked the ages of all of the other teams that didn't make the minimum and were junior last year to see if they aged out, but the first seniors from last year that are still together are Martini/Kiefer, who were originally listed for Nepala, but didn't compete, and are on the roster for Cup of Nice, where the Pairs competition begins tomorrow. Their highest score from last year is 112.10, 8.8 points below the GP minimum.

I think it's short-sighted to not count all scores in the Fall Senior B's for the alternates list for skaters who aren't on the Top 75 SB from last season, but make the GP minimum in the Fall. (Now they just count winners.) For Ladies, Men, and Dance, it's just a formality, but for Pairs, it could make a difference.

Almost definitely, because even if there had been any other pairs with the GP minimum by the 7-day mark, "consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of the visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member." (GP Announcement 7.6).

7. SamuraiK

In this cases where a skater/team withdraws to close to the beginning of the event there should be a special rule where the host FED could fill that spot with a local skater. I'd rather see the 6th ranked pair in China or USA rather than waste a spot. Oh well...

((Endangered Pairs))

8. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

That would be amazing, and a great opportunity for host country skaters to get a seasons best score that they might otherwise not have. There's no reason these rules have to be so restrictive- I'm not sure who it would be hurting to have added Olson/Hubbell, for example, to the Skate America dance event, or Zhang/Bartholomay or Scimeca/Knierim to the pairs event...

9. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Eh. Then we might see hosts not extending invitations when they should, or "encouraging" skaters to delay their withdrawal the spot had to be filled by a host skater.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That would indeed be awesome.

Also, given ISU has already bent the rules with regards to Montalbano/Kransopolski, they really should invite Donlan/Speroff and Zhang/Bartolomay (as well as teams who will do well at Cup of Nice) rather than waste those spots. :mad:

11. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

what´s with hausch/wende?

i know that had personal tragedies all over the summer, but should be back in training?
    did they already decline their spots or hadn´t they any?

12. SamuraiK

Im afraid they are not even aware the rules were broke. Like it happened with Yu/Jin as the third chinese pair at Jr. Worlds whenthey only were allowed for 2 spots, a few years ago. There had to be a LOT of media buzz and formal complaining for them to realise their mistake. Otherwise it would have passed without notice.

13. SamuraiK

They had 1 event but withdrew so according the rules they are inelegible for an alternate spot.

14. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

So, if Scimeca/Knierim (USA) win Cup of Nice (they currently lead by 9 points after the SP) I assume that will add them to the sub list; and so it's possible for them to get a GP. Too late for Cup of China, but if there are any more withdrawals for the last 3 events.

ETA: I checked the rules to confirm, and yes if they win Cup of Nice, they get added to the sublist.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  15. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

That would be so cool for Scimeca/Knierim if that was to happen, and clearly with 59 points in the SP and ahead of GP and JGPF teams, they are worthy of a GP spot. Either way, congrats to them for doing so well in their first international comp!!

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

For TEB and RC, yes. For NHK, not unless they'd replace one of the three US teams, which is possible if Y/R don't recover in time.

17. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

wrong thread

18. Carina

Carina Member

And we still don't know the status of Vera Bazarov, they might drop out as well....

19. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I hope not, we don't want anymore drop outs :drama:
    I recall there was a translation from Tabkha here before that said Vera it was minor and she just had some rest and massage
    not sure if this is updated, they are still listed in CoR and NHK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Bazarova

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

21. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

COC and NHK seemed to be affected the most in the series of unfortunate events...

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Unless Scimeca/Knierim have a total meltdown in the FS, they should win Cup of Nice. It'll be too late for CoC but hopefully that could get them a spot at NHK.

23. patinage

patinage Member

Is Artur Dmitriev out of Cup of China now?

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  25. SamuraiK

Damn, and its obviously too late for a replacemente so COC will only have a 9-men field. :(

26. shah

shah Shhh...

wow, TEB ice dance roster is now almost identical with Skate Canada...

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

As of 31 October, Montalbano/Krasnopolski have been removed from Rostelecom Cup. The only pair I know of left on the alternates list is Scimeca/Knierem (as winners of Cup of Nice), and there are only two US pairs scheduled for RC, however, that was eight days away from the start of Rostelecom Cup, and the GP announcement doesn't address withdrawals < 14 days but > 7 days. Unless the expedited visa process from last year's Worlds is still in place in Russia, there's virtually no chance for a Russian visa to be processed in time.

Half of the Ladies fields in Cup of China and TEB were identical in the initial selection, and four of them -- Kostner, Ando, K. Zhang, and Silete -- withdrew. Lipnitskaya is the only one left standing.

28. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Any clue what happened to M/K?

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Damnit, Scimeca/Knierim have been skating extremely well so far this season for a new team and they deserved that spot. :(

As for M/K, maybe ISU realised just now they didn't have the minimum score. :D

30. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

:rofl: That's probably what happened. They're doing Icechallenge instead.
    http://www.ice-challenge.at/2012/