2012-13 Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HisWeirness, Apr 17, 2012.

1. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Plushenko is absolutely going to go to Worlds in Fake London. I can't imagine he'd want to count on any of the other Russian men earning spots for Sochi. :p

2. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Absolutely! He has to go. :D

What if they invite him to other GP?:confused:

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I wish that he would do this. Maybe do TEB and CoR. I really don't expect to see him at Worlds in Canada, and he needs to get some experience against the top international guys, not just the European men who are weak right now.

Frankly, if he wants to beat Chan before the Olympics, the Grand Prix is the ideal place to do it. Chan is not an early season skater; he tends to fall 3-4 times in GP competitions. Later season, when Chan is peaking and with worlds in his home, would be a lot more difficult.

They only need one spot for Sochi. :D If another Russian guy wants to go the Olympics, he can win the spot to 2013 Worlds and place top 10.

4. NMURA

NMURA Member

Nevertheless Plusneko will go to worlds. Canadian men usually don't do well at worlds and Olympics in Canada. Even if he was placed below Chan (who I don't imagine beating Plushenko fair and square), there's a more than perfect excuse.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Oh, you're right: he was Euro champion last season :duh: and with the third highest SB score, is guaranteed one. (It was Ando who disclosed that she signed the paperwork to come back.)

If he doesn't get two from among those guaranteed one, I don't know who will.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Russia is in terrible position in men because even if it is Plushenko what if he withdrew? No man places in 2013 worlds is there still an Olympic spot? What if it is 20th (not for Plushenko but someone else)?

Plushenko has been saying he wants a full season. I thought 2012-2013 was going to be a full season based on his statements.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  7. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Anyone with any inside info on what time to expect the announcement? US morning, Euro morning, whenever the heck they feel like it? :lol:

8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

If a country doesn't earn a spot at Worlds, there is a b-international in the fall where they will have an opportunity to earn one Olympic spot. And unless something has changed, the host country is always guaranteed one spot in each discipline, and that skater gets to skate in the free even if they don't qualify after the short. So Russia will definitely have at least one men's spot.

9. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Oh, I hadn't thought of this. I was thinking in terms of protecting his body. But this would make sense.

You're doing Gachinski a massive disservice. He is more than capable of a top 5 at the minimum. They only need a top 10 finish at 2013 Worlds to have two spots for Sochi, yes?

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes, and I hope Gachinski skates well this season.

From the 2010 Special Regulations (downloadable from http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-153889-171105-nav-list,00.html)

For Singles and Pairs, Rule 400.A.5:
    400.A.1 states that "In the two singles disciplines the best placed twenty-four (24) Competitors in the Short Program will qualify for the final Free Skating." There's no provision I can find for adding a Host Skater who isn't top 24 after the SP. (There's also no explicit wording for Pairs and Dance.)

For Ice Dance, Rule 400.B.5 (formerly Rule 570.5):
    Similar text to the following didn't appear in 1568, I assume because Canada qualified spots in all disciplines in Moscow, but it did appear in 1313, issued for the Torino Olympics:

This isn't explicit in the Special Regs, but the maximums are, with no provision to add one, like they do at World Championships before the Free Skate. I believe the provision to have Host Countries have a skater in the Free Skate regardless of whether they qualify normally was dropped within the last few years. I'm not sure if the Host Country skater/team gets added to the SP/SD if there's a prelim round, if s/he/it doesn't qualify that way, or if it's just the first phase.

11. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

Great post, kwanfan1818. I've now saved Comm. 1313 to my hard drive! :respec:

For those of you interested in the Russia/Olympic Spots/Host Country topic, it was also discussed in the From Russia with Love thread last month:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3537707&postcount=798

When it comes to Olympic spots questions, Rule 400 is your friend!! :saint:

Right, the rule for ISU Championships is as follows (from 2010 Figure Skating Rule 378.8, italics added by me):
    In the 2008 Figure Skating Rules, ISU Championships – Special Technical Rules, Rule 579.6 stated:
    The infamous* Communication 1562, Cost Savings at ISU Events, May 2009, eliminated the provision from 579.6 quoted above as of the 2009/10 season. So, that is why many fans are still confused about this rule because it has changed within the last few seasons. :COP:

*this is the communication that first cut the number of skaters making the FS at Euros/4CCs and introduced the splitting of the free skate into two sessions, with the first FS group skating in an afternoon session and the rest of the groups in the evening session. The split session FS was dropped from the rules after the 2009/10 season. The split session provision did not apply to the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.

12. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Thinking ahead a bit: I wonder if Korea has a dance or pairs team.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I've heard conflicting information regarding whether or not last year is being counted officially as a "comeback" for Lysacek, even though he later withdrew from his 2 GP assignments. I wonder if he can or will be listed initially as a host pick for Skate America (or fill a TBA slot there?), but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

14. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

If the ISU wants to count last season as a comebcak season, I hope that Lysacek challenges the decision. Based on ISU rank, Lysacek qualified for one assignment plus a host pick. I could be argued, quite convincingly in a legal proceeding, that that is what he got..SA & TEB.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you so much for this -- I think I passed this in a blur last night :)

16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The B's are there and could provide a spot if 2013 worlds is a problem. There is conflict over automatic slot for host country. The posts above conflict.

He could be top 10 and he can also be below top 10. I'm just thinking about non-participation as well. What if someone is assigned and withdraws. Then there is no one and you have to wait until September for a senior B to qualify. Only really trustworthy people who could win a senior B are Plushenko or Gachinski.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There is no conflict over whether the host country gets an automatic slot: it's all there in Rule 400:

400 A&B 3: (all members): Attempt to qualify at prior year's Worlds.

400 A&B 4: (all members): If unsuccessful, attempt to qualify one at Fall qualifying competition.

400 A&B 5: (host nation only): If still unsuccessful,get automatic slot into the SD/SP.

The only question was whether a lone host nation skater who didn't qualify for the FD/FS from the SD/SP got an automatic spot in the FD/FS, and the answer is "no", at least according to the current rules.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

5 recently formed (I think all Junior IIRC) Ice Dance teams trained by Sergei Astashev.

I don't know about any Pairs.

19. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

There is also one new Korean-Russian dance team that is coached by Irina Zhuk and Alexander Svinin in Moscow.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oooh that is very interesting, thanks!

You mean one partner is Korean and the other Russian and they're going to represent Korea?