2012-13 Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HisWeirness, Apr 17, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

YukiNieve posted the link to ISU Communication 1727, which lists International Competitions for 2012-13. Skaters who must post a GP minimum (scores not yet released) should be able to at the following Senior B events:

• 8-12 August, ASU Asian Figure Skating Trophy (Taipei City): Ladies, Men (Not listed as an invitational or region-restricted for Seniors)
    • 8-10 September, Ice Star (Minsk): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 13-16 September, US Senior International (Salt Lake City): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 27-29 September, Nebelhorn Trophy 2012 (Oberstdorf): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 3-7 October, 20th Ondrej Nepala Trophy (Bratislava): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 4-7 October, Finlandia Trophy (Espoo): Ladies, Men, Dance

19-21 October, Skate America
    26-28 October, Skate Canada

• 24-28 October, Cup of Nice (Nice): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    • 30 October-4 November, Crystal Skate (Brasov): Ladies, Men, Dance

2-4 November, Cup of China
    • 2-4 November, NRW Ice Dance Trophy (Dortmund): Dance

9-11 November, Rostelecom Cup

• 6-11 November, Icechallenge 2012 (Graz): Ladies, Men, Pairs, Dance
    16-18 November, Trophee Bompard

• 15-18 November, Warsaw Cup (Warsaw): Ladies, Men, Pairs
    • 16-18 November, 15th Merano Cup (Merano): Ladies, Men
    • 16-18 November, Pavel Roman Memorial (Olomouc): Dance

23-25 November, NHK Trophy

------------
    Skaters who didn't have to post a GP minimum by last year's rules:

• "Come-back" skaters, at least those who use the one-time provision to be guaranteed two
    • Host pick replacements, which, based on last year's behavior, with Desanctis and Balde at Skate Canada without having made the GP minimum, includes TBD replacements.
    • Split couples who reached the minimum score in the last two seasons with their old partner, which is everyone who placed Top 12 at Worlds.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Who will make their Senior Grand Prix debut in the coming season?

* = has aged out of ISU Junior events in 2012-13

LADIES
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP & expected to be moving up:
    Gracie Gold USA 12 SB/55 WS, Polina Korobeynikova RUS 17 SB/30 WS, Zijun Li CHN 24 SB/20 WS
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP IF they move up:
    Julia Lipnitskaia RUS 5 SB/33 WS, Polina Shelepen RUS 19 SB/23 WS (back to JGP because of RUS ladies' depth?), Satoko Miyahara 20 SB/49 WS, Risa Shoji 23 SB/32 WS
    Possible host pick: *Yuki Nishino JPN 60 SB/28 WS, Kaetlyn Osmond CAN 41 SB/82 WS (if she decides not to return to JGP), *Alexandra Najarro CAN 90 SB/74 WS, *Kate Charbonneau CAN 68 SB/96 WS

MEN
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP IF they move up:
    Han Yan CHN 19 SB/19 WS, Joshua Farris USA 20 SB/26 WS, Jason Brown USA 23 SB/23 WS
    Possible host pick: *Artur Dmitriev RUS 30 SB/37 WS, *Zhan Bush RUS 32 SB/52 WS, *Liam Firus CAN 40 SB/53 WS
    Possibility of a GP invite?: Jorik Hendrickx BEL 28 SB/27 WS, Misha Ge UZB 31 SB/36 WS

PAIRS
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP/already has competed twice on GP but could return to JGP: Yu/Jin CHN 16 SB/20 WS
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP: Vartmann/Van Cleave GER 21 SB/19 WS
    Possible host pick or invite: *Duarte/Grafton USA 43 SB/37 WS, Popova/Massot FRA 35 SB/43 WS
    Competing on JGP: Davankova/Deputat RUS 22 SB/52 WS, Denney/Frazier USA 25 SB/41 WS, Purdy/Marinaro CAN 32 SB/31 WS, Li/Jiang CHN 37 SB/47 WS, Simpson/Blackmer USA 30 SB/35 WS, Gainetdinova/Bich RUS, Bell/Sylvester CAN...

DANCE
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP:
    Sinitsina/Zhiganshin RUS 9 SB/14 WS (assumed to be moving up), *Orford/Williams CAN 21 SB/22 WS, Zlobina/Sitnikov AZE 23 SB/40 WS, Guignard/Fabbri ITA 29 SB/18 WS
    Believed to be returning to JGP: Stepanova/Bukin RUS 11 SB/16 WS, Yanovskaya/Mozgov RUS 12 SB/32 WS, Aldridge/Eaton USA 17 SB/23 WS (hearsay info), Papadakis/Cizeron FRA 19 SB/25 WS, Nazarova/Nikitin UKR 24 SB, Zenkova/Sinitsin RUS 26 SB, Koch/Nuchtern GER 36 SB...
    Outside possibility of a GP invite?: *Shtork/Rand EST 33 SB/34 WS
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I was just looking at the SB list from last year, and in Pairs, I counted 12 splits out of 74 couples.
  4. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

This Japanese newspaper article says:

- Miki Ando will participate in GPS. ISU now requires athletes who took year(s) off and intend to come back
    to sign an agreement that they are obliged to participate in GPS
    unless unforeseeable incidents happen. Miki signed this agreement.

- A meeting for GPS assignments will take place this weekend in Chicago.

http://twitpic.com/9m5vxg
  5. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Good for her. Anyone know if any other "comebacks" (Plushy, Evan, Johnny) have signed?
  6. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

EP is not a comeback skater. He competed last season.
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Johnny Weir just tweeted tonight:
    "Can barely wait for the ISU Grand Prix Assignments on Monday! Fingers crossed!"
  8. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

That would lead me to believe that he singed the agreement :D ISU should have called it the 'Evan Lysacek Clause' :slinkaway
  9. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Technically Evan wasn't a "comeback", I don't think. He was a host pick and was in the top 24 in the World Rankings so he was also selected by another country. So technically this would not have applied to him at the time.
  10. PinkFeathers

True enough, it just struck me funny that they put this rule in now after what happened last season :lol:

Back on topic: I am excited by the prospect of Miki skating again :kickass:
  11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Lots of comebacks for this upcoming season show how skaters value and have desire about experiences of skating at olympics and medaling there. Sochi will be so much exciting!
  12. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

The number of US men eligible for GP assignments makes me nervous. What if Josh and Jason are TOLD to stay in Juniors because they have too many men wanting assignments? That would be a ludicrous situation!
  13. Theatregirl1122

Grand Prix assignments are not done by nationality.
  14. misskarne

:confused:

I thought that each country had a maximum number of skaters they could have at each event?
  15. Theatregirl1122

There can be no more than 3 skaters from any country at any event, but the skaters are more likely to miss out because there are too many skaters ranked ahead of them than because there are 3 skaters from their country in every single event. I'm not sure that's ever even happened.
  16. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Stepanova/Bukin are staying on the junior circuit as their coaches confirmed to me. Sinitsina/Zhiganshin are moving up according to sources in Russia.
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That is three per event; the maximum number of slots for one country is 18 (3*6).

The number of US Men guaranteed spots this season if all turn Senior are:

Two:
    Abbott

One:
    Miner
    Rippon
    Farris
    Brown
    Dornbush

Weir and Lysacek are either come-back skaters guaranteed two -- after signing that they intend to come back, skate GPs, etc. -- or, if they don't take that option, they can be at the top of the alternates list as come-back skaters.

In total, that's a maximum of 11 of 18 maximum spots for US men if Lysacek and Weir use the one-time "come-back" option and each skater gets the number of guaranteed spots. If every skater gets two in the initial selection, that would mean 16 of 18 maximum slots, leaving two host pick slots for anyone USFS wants to invite. With at least three men likely to use the "come-back" clause (including Plushenko), and because all those guaranteed one must get a second before anyone in the Top 75 is considered for a non-host pick, it's unlikely that any US Men not Top 24 WS or SB will get a spot from the alternates list for the other five events.
  18. shah

shah Well-Known Member

I'm getting really excited, as well :).
  19. misskarne

Oh, okay! Thankyou for clearing up that confusion. So if they decide to turn Senior, both Josh and Jason should get at least one.

PS: I don't think Plushenko can use the "comeback skater" clause since he did an ISU Championship last season?
  20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Based on how last year's announcement was phrased, he can't. But he's guaranteed a slot anyway, and I can't imagine he'll want to do more than Rostelecom (if that).
  21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Didn't Plushy already declare that he's going to participate in only one GP event which of course would be Rostelecom cup?
  22. misskarne

There's been a bit of confusion and mixed messages about that, but the basic theme that seems constant is that he's taking steps towards building up a full season as he gets closer to the Olympics - so I imagine this year we'll see him at a GP, Nationals, Euros. Worlds is up in the air because it's in Canada and the Canadians would just LOVE to knock him down and PCS the heck out of Chan on home soil.

Then the following season he would do 2 GPs, GPF, Nationals, Euros, Olympics, maybe Worlds.

At least that's how I've been reading it.
  23. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Since the GPF is in Sochi, I was wondering if Plushy would try to get there and maybe skip nationals or Euros.
  24. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Yes, because we all know there are only Canadian judges on the panel when Worlds are held in Canada.
  25. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

If you think that's the rule in figure skating, you must be overjoyed then that the next Olympics are held in Russia.;)
  26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Plushy's never done post-Olympic worlds (1998, of course, doesn't count). I can't imagine he'll do so in 2014. As for his plan for 2012-13, I guess we'll find out more in three days' time...

I don't think it's a given that Canadian skaters will be held up at Worlds, but politikking can be accomplished with international panels, and it's not like we've never seen a home ice advantage in past skating events. I can think of Canadians (as well as skaters from elsewhere) who have benefited.

OTOH, it might be interesting to see what happens if/when Plushenko and Chan end up competing against each other in Russia - at the GPF, as kirkbiggestfan suggested, or later on.
  27. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Look to the tech panels for the big time politicking.

Speedy gets to pick the 3 panel members with help from the VP of figure skating...who is David Dore...of Canada. They also consult the federation hosting the event...which is Skate Canada.
  28. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Words can not describe how much I'd rather Chan in Moscow than Pluschenko :lol:
    (but most of all I want Takahashi :shuffle: )
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

He will very likely want to do two and qualify for the GPF since it is being held at Sochi Olympics stadium.

ETA; haha Kirkbiggestfan has already said this before.
  30. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I think this is absolutely great thing to pre-experience and feel the Olympic atmosphere. In 2009, when 4cc was held in Vancouver every top skater didn't miss a chance to skate at olympic rink.
  31. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Plushenko is absolutely going to go to Worlds in Fake London. I can't imagine he'd want to count on any of the other Russian men earning spots for Sochi. :p
  32. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Absolutely! He has to go. :D

What if they invite him to other GP?:confused:
  33. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I wish that he would do this. Maybe do TEB and CoR. I really don't expect to see him at Worlds in Canada, and he needs to get some experience against the top international guys, not just the European men who are weak right now.

Frankly, if he wants to beat Chan before the Olympics, the Grand Prix is the ideal place to do it. Chan is not an early season skater; he tends to fall 3-4 times in GP competitions. Later season, when Chan is peaking and with worlds in his home, would be a lot more difficult.

They only need one spot for Sochi. :D If another Russian guy wants to go the Olympics, he can win the spot to 2013 Worlds and place top 10.
  34. NMURA

NMURA Member

Nevertheless Plusneko will go to worlds. Canadian men usually don't do well at worlds and Olympics in Canada. Even if he was placed below Chan (who I don't imagine beating Plushenko fair and square), there's a more than perfect excuse.
  35. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Oh, you're right: he was Euro champion last season :duh: and with the third highest SB score, is guaranteed one. (It was Ando who disclosed that she signed the paperwork to come back.)

If he doesn't get two from among those guaranteed one, I don't know who will.
  36. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Russia is in terrible position in men because even if it is Plushenko what if he withdrew? No man places in 2013 worlds is there still an Olympic spot? What if it is 20th (not for Plushenko but someone else)?

Plushenko has been saying he wants a full season. I thought 2012-2013 was going to be a full season based on his statements.
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  37. PinkFeathers

Anyone with any inside info on what time to expect the announcement? US morning, Euro morning, whenever the heck they feel like it? :lol:
  38. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

If a country doesn't earn a spot at Worlds, there is a b-international in the fall where they will have an opportunity to earn one Olympic spot. And unless something has changed, the host country is always guaranteed one spot in each discipline, and that skater gets to skate in the free even if they don't qualify after the short. So Russia will definitely have at least one men's spot.
  39. misskarne

Oh, I hadn't thought of this. I was thinking in terms of protecting his body. But this would make sense.

You're doing Gachinski a massive disservice. He is more than capable of a top 5 at the minimum. They only need a top 10 finish at 2013 Worlds to have two spots for Sochi, yes?
  40. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes, and I hope Gachinski skates well this season.

From the 2010 Special Regulations (downloadable from http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-153889-171105-nav-list,00.html)

For Singles and Pairs, Rule 400.A.5:
    400.A.1 states that "In the two singles disciplines the best placed twenty-four (24) Competitors in the Short Program will qualify for the final Free Skating." There's no provision I can find for adding a Host Skater who isn't top 24 after the SP. (There's also no explicit wording for Pairs and Dance.)

For Ice Dance, Rule 400.B.5 (formerly Rule 570.5):
    Similar text to the following didn't appear in 1568, I assume because Canada qualified spots in all disciplines in Moscow, but it did appear in 1313, issued for the Torino Olympics:

This isn't explicit in the Special Regs, but the maximums are, with no provision to add one, like they do at World Championships before the Free Skate. I believe the provision to have Host Countries have a skater in the Free Skate regardless of whether they qualify normally was dropped within the last few years. I'm not sure if the Host Country skater/team gets added to the SP/SD if there's a prelim round, if s/he/it doesn't qualify that way, or if it's just the first phase.
    Last edited: May 19, 2012