2012-13 Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HisWeirness, Apr 17, 2012.

1. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

World ranking lists has been updated. :)

LADIES

Seeded, guar. 2, poss. 3: Kostner, Leonova, Suzuki, Wagner, Murakami, Asada

Places 7-12 at Worlds, guaranteed 2: Kexin Zhang, Valentina Marchei, Ksenia Makarova, Elene Gedevanishvili, Viktoria Helgesson, Yretha Silete

Top 24 SB, guar. 1: Lipnitskaia*, Tuktamysheva, Czisny, Zhang, Nagasu, Gold*, Sotnikova, Korpi, Biryukova, Korobeynikova, Shelepen*, Miyahara*, Shoji*, Zijun Li*

*= junior, would need to move up to seniors internationally

Top 24 World Rankings who aren't listed above, guar. 1: Mae Berenice Meite, Joshi Helgesson, Haruka Imai, Agnes Zawadzki, Amelie Lacoste, Miki Ando?, Sarah Hecken, (Cynthia Phaneuf, Flatt, Yuna Kim? falling out of top 24)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Didn't Gold move up to senior internationally at World Team Trophy?

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Not unless the new rule passes, and then only if it's retroactive to the 2011-13 season.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

The part in post #91 npavel posted/copied above ("*= junior, would need to move up to seniors internationally") was from haribobo's Grand Prix projection posts compiled right after Worlds, before Gold was selected to World Team Trophy.

ETA:
    Thank you for the heads up earlier today! I've started a new thread in GSD: ISU World Standings updated (2009-10 ranking points have been removed & 2010-11 points reduced to 70%)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia. That makes sense. I thought WTT was not counted as senior event

6. toddlj

toddlj The sort of fan who gets up at 3am to watch

Well, if no one else is going to, let me update the men!

MEN

Places 1-6 at worlds, seeded, guaranteed 2 (no longer have option for three!): Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu, Joubert, Amodio, Brezina

Places 7-12 at Worlds, guaranteed 2: Ten, Abbott, Fernandez, Contesti, Kozuka, Reynolds

Top 24 SB, guaranteed 1: Plushenko, Gachinski, Oda, Song, Verner, Miner, Rippon, Yan (JR), Farris (JR), Mura, Brown (JR), Van der Perren (retired)

Top 24 World Rankings who aren't listed above, guaranteed 1: Majorov, Dornbush, Menshov, Machida

Last edited: May 2, 2012
    julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  7. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

I have recieved two interesting updated information regarding ISU Grand Prix assingments for 2012:

- it would be no longer the possibility of 3 events for Top 6 from Worlds
    - Pairs has to decide - either SGP or JGP.

Good decision in both cases.

Also, it sems Galyeta / Shumski of Ukraine (JGP ID finalists) split.

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

At least people will stop complaining about people getting three chances to gain points now. :)

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

When we will know GP event participants?

10. Sylvia

I posted this earlier in the thread:
    Thanks for the new info, oubik!

11. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

I've seen May 19, and I've seen not until the ISU Congress in June. Which is correct? Knowing the ISU, the answer is 'both'.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

YES YES YES HELL YES PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!!! :cheer:

(FYI, Oubik is a very reliable source of info :))

Good decision, they've been really stagnating for a while now.

13. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I'ver heard the same (the option of doing 3GP doesn't exist anymore and the option for pairs to do both SGP and JGP has been cancelled) as well, from a very reliable source at World Team Trophy where the meeting took place. I agree that these are good changes. Not many top skaters were using the 3GP anyway plus it opens up more spots for others.

14. shah

shah Shhh...

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
    finally, ISU decisions I agree with :p.

15. Sylvia

This has now been confirmed with the publication of the 2012-13 JGP Announcement - link to the thread in GSD: ISU Junior Grand Prix 2012 - 13 Announcement

Reposting the following from another thread since it's relevant to this one:

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

That sets up an interesting decision for the French and Japanese federations re the seeded men's assignments.

17. Sylvia

Here's a list of the pair teams that didn't finish in the top 12 at 2012 Worlds, but are guaranteed one spot (based on this season's GP selection criteria) for finishing top 24 on World Rankings and/or top 24 on the Seasons Best list (known splits teams have been removed):

Zhang/Zhang CHN (if they continue)
    Moore-Towers/Moscovitch CAN
    Stolbova/Klimov RUS
    Yu/Jin CHN (JGP age-eligible)
    Lawrence/Swiegers CAN
    Vise/Baldwin USA
    Vartmann/Van Cleave GER
    Davankova/Deputat RUS (JGP age-eligible)
    James/Cipres FRA
    Hausch/Wende GER
    Gerboldt/Enbert RUS
    Dong/Wu CHN
    Kemp/King GBR
    Total: 13

Top 12 at Worlds: Savchenko/Szolkowy GER, Volosozhar/Trankov RUS, Takahashi/Tran JPN, Pang/Tong CHN, Duhamel/Radford CAN, Bazarova/Larionov RUS, Kavaguti/Smirnov RUS, Denney/Coughlin USA, Sui/Han CHN, Marley/Brubaker USA, Berton/Hotarek ITA, Dube/Wolfe CAN.

RUS: up to 6 teams
    CHN: up to 5
    CAN: 4
    USA & GER: 3

There are 48 GP slots for pairs (8 per GP). USA, CAN, CHN, and RUS will use all 3 of their host slots while FRA may or may not; JPN is expected to only use 1 again.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  18. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

How can they do the GP before the congress? If the congress changes it so that 14 year olds can no longer be on the GP that should be decided before they give them out.

19. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Edit - NM

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think the ISU needs to be consistent. The fact that a 15 year old Mao couldn't skate at the Olympics or Worlds in 2006 but 14 year old Caroline Zhang could skate against the top Senior Ladies on the Senior GP in 2007 was nonsense. I though the whole age limit thing was to keep the 13,14 year olds from competing against the big girls and not rush them into doing the harder technical programs that Seniors have to do.

21. Sylvia

Looks like the former.

"The list of athlete entries for the 2012 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series will be announced on May 21, 2012."

Source is the 2012 Skate America (Kent, Washington) website, launched today: http://www.2012skateamerica.com/

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I posted this in the Paul/Islam thread, trying to see what the prospects were for them for a GP assignment, and came up with some data from last year in dance, which Sylvia asked me to re-post here. I've also looked at the other disciplines, and this is what I've come up with:

DANCE:
    Last season:
    • In the Top 12 at Worlds, there were two splits (C/P and C/Z); they got one of those spots back from the alternates list (for Chock). (Two more alternate slots came from the S/B split.)
    • In the Top 24 SB and/or Top 24 WS, there were two retirements (K/K and F/S) before GP selection and one Jr. Team
    • In the Top 24 SB, there were nine active senior teams guaranteed one:
      • Two received two on initial selection (M/K [non-host] and R/T [one host])
      • Two received one on initial selection and then a TBD host (P/G, R/R)
      • Two got one and then an alternates pick (P/I and T/S).
      • Two got one and then split/retired (H/Z [would have been top for a subs pick] and M/N)
      • Lichtman/Copely were the only 13-24 SB team competing last season with one.
      • There was no team that got one that was only a host pick.
    • In the Top 24 WS, but not Top 24 SB, H/Z got one and then a TBD host pick.
    • In the Top 75, Cannuscio/Lorello were assigned a TBD host pick to SA, and Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt were the only team from the Top 75 to be assigned to a non-host pick.
    • Of those selected from the alternates list, two were Top 24 SB, and four were from the split couples list.
    • There were two split couples last year that got three assignments (one each for Samuelson and Bates from two seasons prior, one for Chock.)
    • No replacement for P/B at Skate Canada.

This season:
    • Top 12 have no splits or retirements, at least so far.
    • Top 24 SB have five possible Jr. couples (Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, Stepanova/Bukin, Yanovskaya/Mozgov, Aldridge/Eaton, Nazarova/Nikitin)
    • Top 24 WS but not Top 24 SB or Top 12 Worlds, guaranteed one,
      • Five Four* this year vs. seven last year. (Yu/Wang will meet the GP minimum by just a few points, although they are ranked 20th in the WS).
      • *Bonascorsi/Mager (WS 24) have split.
    • At this point, it looks like Poirier will get one off the alternates list.* (If there was news of a Crone partnership, I missed it.)
    • There are two extra slots for dance teams this year, if teams (P/B and WP) can't be selected for three.

PAIRS:
    Last season:
    • In the Top 12 at Worlds, there was one split (Y/C); they got one of those spots back from the alternates list for D/C; the other was for D/B's 7th in 2010.
    • Two Top 6 at Worlds teams did were selected for three (S/S and K/S)
    • In the Top 24 SB and/or Top 24 WS, there were three retirements/splits (B/M, S/M, DM/K) before the GP selection.
    • In the Top 24 SB, there were eight active teams guaranteed one:
      • One got two in the initial selection (I/M, non-host)
      • Two got one and later a host TBD (S/K and S/H)
      • Five got one (L/S, G/E, Z/W, and M/B got host picks; C/S got NHK)
    • In the Top 24 WS but not Top 24 SB
      • One got one in the initial selection and were a replacement host pick (Y/J)
      • Six got one; five were from host nations but didn't get host picks
    • Four teams in the Top 75 got spots
      • One host pick only (C/B), withdrew and replaced
      • One initial assignment and one host pick replacement (Y/J)
      • Two non-host pick assignments (S/S and P/S)
    • Everyone in Pairs was Top 75, but only 33 met the GP minimum score.
    • There were eight spots filled by replacements:
      • Two spots each for D/C and D/W (one split couple spot each for Denney/Barrett, Yankowskas/Coughlin -- also to replace a host spot -- and Dube/Davison, and one host pick for Dube/Wolfe) from the alternates list
      • The rest were host pick replacements.

This season:
    • Top 12 at Worlds: no retirements or splits so far
    • Top 24 SB and/or Top 24 WS:
      • FourFive confirmed (E/L, I/M), heavily rumored (Z/Z, B/B), and rumored (V/B) splits
      • One known Junior Team (D/D). No ISU bio, but I don't think she's age-eligible for GP even if they don't change the age limits.
      • Tricky is if they don't let Juniors who've done Senior GP compete in Junior championships. Yu/Jin have competed both and might have to do Seniors, even though they were born in 1996 and 1994.
      • Seven guaranteed teams (including Y/J) for Top 24 SB vs. eight last season. when juniors could do both.
      • FiveFour teams in Top 24 WS only vs. five teams last season, with four competing, since K/K didn't have the GP minimum and either weren't submitted or didn't earn it before GP. K/K (WS 23) should easily make the minimum this year, having increased their SB by 10 points, and Kadlecova/Bidar (WS 22) should make it, because the highest score in 2011-12 was 5+points less than the highest score in 2010-11. K/B have split.
    • "Split Couples"
      • Known: Yankowskas/Reagan and Davis/Ladwig (if ready)
      • Rumored: Hao Zhang rumored to be forming a new partnership (if Top 12 Worlds from three seasons back qualifies and they're ready) ETA: The Chinese Fed could give him/new partner a host pick; a TBD replacement wouldn't need a minimum score, and they could hold open their options until close to CoC.
    • Two more spots open with limit to two GPs; last year S/S and K/S were selected for three each.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

LADIES:
    Last Season:

• In the Top 12 at Worlds, two did not compete in GP (Ando, Kim)
      • Two skaters did three events (Kostner and Leonova)
    • In the Top 24 SB:
      • One retired (Meier) and two skated Juniors (Siraj and Lam)
      • All nine who were guaranteed one got two in the initial selection
    • In the Top 24 WS only:
      • Two got two initial selections (Imai and Marchei)
      • One got one initial selection and then a TBD host pick (Meite)
      • One got an initial selection (J. Helgesson)
    • From the Top 75
      • Five got host picks (Biryukova, Geng, Silete, C. Zhang, Marrocco)
      • One got one (Lafuente)
    • From outside the Top 75, where host replacements (including, apparently, replacing a "TBD") don't have to have a minimum GP score, there were four host picks: Zhu (SB 111), and Forte, Desanctis, and Ishikawa (no SB from 2010).
    • There were only two non-host replacements from the alternates list, both for Lepisto (V. Helgesson at SA and Lafuente at TEB).
    • There was no replacement for Hecken at TEB.

This season:
    • Top 12 Worlds: No retirements or announced GP sit-outs
    • Top 24 SB: At the end of the day, I think five will be juniors (Lipnitskaia, Shelepen, Miyahara, Shoji, and Li) vs. two last season, and five will be seniors (Korobeynikova, K. Zhang, Tukhamysheva, Sotnikova, and Gold). Of course, this could shift, depending on if the new age rules don't pass or Piseev's latest mood.
    • Top 24 WS (only): This season there are seven vs. four last season.
    • Two spots are back in the mix, since no skater will be able to do three GPs (Kostner, Leonova).
    • Ando and Rochette are making Sochi noises, so if not this season, perhaps next year they will take the one-time "Comeback option". (Ando is currently WS 22, but will lose all of her 2010-11 WS points at the end of the season.)

MEN
    Last season:

• Top 12 Worlds: no sit-outs or retirements
      • One skater in the Top 6 did three (Brezina)
    • Top 24 SB
      • One retired (Bradley), no Juniors
      • Six received two in the initial selection
      • Two non-host country skaters received one in the initial selection and a second off the alternates list (Van der Perren and D. Ten)
      • One host country skater got one in the initial selection and a TBD host pick later (Mahbanoozadeh).
    • Top 24 WS only:
      • Two got two in the initial selection (Rogozine and Lysacek, one host spot each)
      • One got one in the initial selection and later a TBD host spot (Song)
      • One got one in the initial selection and one from the alternates list (Majorov)
      • One got one in the initial selection (Schultheis)
    • Top 75:
      • One got one in the initial selection and then a TBD host pick (Menshov)
      • Four got host TBD host picks (Machida, Wu, Guan, Besseghier)
    • Outside the Top 75:
      • One Two TBD host picks (Balde and Razzano)
    • Three Two withdrawals not filled with alternates (Lysacek at SA, Joubert at CoC, Schultheiss at NHK).
    • Three replacements from the alternates list (D. Ten at SA, Van der Perren at SC, and Majorov at TEB)
    • One spot back in the pool, since no option to skate three (Brezina)

This season:
    • Top 12 Worlds: No known sit-outs or retirements
    • Top 24 SB: Three possible juniors -- Yan, Farris, and Brown -- but I can't imagine that China won't want Yan to be in seniors next year. (He should be able to get two spots for Sochi.)
    • Top 24 WS only: Four vs. five last season.
    • Comeback skaters: Lysacek would have to use the one-time "Comeback skater" option if he wants two GPs; last season he was WS 18 and guaranteed a spot. For one he'd need an initial host pick plus minimum score at a summer/fall Senior B or a TBD replacement host pick.
    • Plushenko qualifies for one with the third highest SB of the season.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kwanfan.

25. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Razzano replaced Lysacek at SA.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you for the correction. I never added him to the bottom of the SB list. (He didn't have one for 2010.)

I'm still able to edit, and I've adjusted the post.

27. Sylvia

Thanks, kwanfan1818!

Davankova/Deputat's ISU bio is linked from the 2012 Junior Worlds results page - she just turned 14 this month and he is 19: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014058.htm

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Does that mean under the current rules, she'd be eligible for Senior GP at 14 before this July 1? (Given this newness of this pair, it seems like a moot point.)

There's a proposed rule to keep skaters from returning to Juniors after skating Seniors, but if the age rules don't pass, would that apply to teams who skate GP as 14-year-olds, but can't compete at Senior championships?

29. Sylvia

Yes. Eislauffan posted today that it's likely Davankova/Deputat would do the JGP: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3569775&postcount=147

I doubt it, but who knows?

30. Leticia

Leticia New Member

What's the possibility of Joannie, Miki, or Yuna coming back? I'd love to see them competing against upcoming Russian Phenoms, and Gracie..