2011 US Nationals (Greensboro, NC) Information

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HisWeirness, Nov 12, 2009.

1. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Well, looks like the old 2011 US Nationals thread has been archived so time to start another one.

Tomorrow (Fri, Nov. 13) the Weekend, Matinee, and Evening packages are going to go on sale.

The weekend package is $379 for the front few rows, $249 for the center ice sections, and $149 for the end sections.

Ticket info: http://www.northcarolina2011.com/tickets.html
    Ticket package ordering form (PDF): http://www.northcarolina2011.com/documents/TicketOrderFormNewPackages.pdf

It's not clear yet exactly what events will be included in each package. I've included the 2009 Cleveland schedule for reference.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

Thanks! You must have been reading my mind because I just came on here to FSU to ask this exact question. :)

3. angryyew

angryyew New Member

I've never been to a competition event (been to a couple champions on ice). I live in Raleigh and would love to see the nationals in Greensboro...how tough are tickets to get generally? I'd like to get my mom to go, but she lives in Illinois, so it's hard to predict this far out if she'd be able to go.

How far in advance do you generally need to get tickets?

4. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Read the imformation on the posts above. In order to get the best prices and the best seats, I wouldn't wait much after 6 months before the event. But then again, you could take your chances.

5. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

Thanks for the info. I live very near Greensboro and plan to take advantage of the opportunity!

6. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Just an FYI. The last few years the 'next' event has been at Nationals and hopefully they will be able to tell us what we are buying. IMHO it's too unclear to hand over cash.

7. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

I've never been to a USFS event that was sold out (10 SkAms, 4 Nationals, a 4CC and Worlds), even in the lower level. :lol: And if even you wait and get shafted with a 16th row corner seat, no worries... there are always tons of USFS sponsor seats - some of the best seats the house, usually first few rows in a center section opposite the judges - that go unused. You should be able to move down and squat for anything but the ladies final at a Worlds or Nationals. (I just bought the cheapest seats at the door in Placid this weekend and sat third row center ice with friends all weekend at SA. We were in seats that cancer.net couldn't fill. :saint:)

8. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:cheer: I just got the weekend package as a Christmas present to myself.

9. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Are ALL of the tickets over a $100? It's not as if they have to pay professional athletes! (Not to mention all of the volunteers they don't have to pay) It's no wonder you see empty seats on television!

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Hmmmm...it's within driving distance for me. Too bad there's nobody I REALLY want to see in person. What to do? What to do?

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  11. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:confused: The weekend package is the four championship senior events plus the skating exhibition. You can get a weekend package for as little as $109, the most expensive was $379. Even with the most expensive seats that is $76 a ticket, a lot less than your average concert, and less expensive than premium seats at many other sporting events.

The costs go toward renting the arena, personel, advertising, etc. Plus skaters do get funding through the team envelopes, so while they may not be "professional athletes" those who do the best will get some funding for further training.

12. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Depending on your comfort level. My strategy is to wait and to start checking for released tickets a couple of months before the competition, as those seats are usually very good. But I do not know my life very far in advance, and am more comfortable with waiting and trying to snatch good tickets at the last moment. But if you can plan ahead, early is good, of course. Just know if good tickets disappear, not all is lost, a bunch usually shows up closer to the event ( but then you have to check the website regularly)

13. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

I ended up not buying these. :( The holidays and my daughter's gymnastics expenses are putting a damper on my figure skating viewing budget...LOL

I definitely want to go, since it is pretty close by, and I can drive from FL. I guess I will just need to be on the lookout for individual event tickets as the date gets closer.

14. Alys

Alys New Member

I would consider going only if Sasha will show up...is that even possible?

15. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hold my breath....

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Yes, but not on the ice. I can see her there working with one of her endorsements or just watching (you see lots of former skaters at Nats) but she's NOT going to be skating :)

Rudi,

Tickets always show up close to the event. I see no real reason to give them money too far ahead of time.... (Yes, I won't get front row, but.. I will live!)

17. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

For those of you who are interested: the application for volunteering at Nationals in GSO 2011 is up on their website.

Volunteer Application

pdf form

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From the FAQ page: http://www.northcarolina2011.com/faqs.html
    "Individual tickets will most likely go on sale in fall of 2010 based on availability."

19. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about going to US Nationals; I haven't been to one since 06.

Does everyone normally stay in an official hotel or is it more economical to find one on their own????

20. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I didn't stay at the official one in Spokane but I stayed at the Doubletree... and there were some skaters at my hotel and fans. They also had poster boards with times and placements. It was really nice and really close to the bus stop. Plus Johnny Weir had his fan club reception there.

Anyway, I really hope I can manage to go this year, I cannot buy tickets until late December though because of school scheduling and money :(.

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

You can usually find a hotel on your own that's cheaper, especially if you have your own transportation or if you're in a city where there are lots of hotels within walking distance. But the official hotels are usually on the shuttle route, so if you'd like to take the shuttle bus, you may want an official hotel that is on the route. (although check, because I think sometimes they have official hotels that aren't).

22. mattiecat13

mattiecat13 Member

Any idea as to what the schedule will be? I need to start thinking about making an airline reservation. I contacted Greensboro and they said the schedule is set by the USFSA.

23. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Aside from the fact that the official hotel usually sells out right away, it is also ridiculously expensive most of the time! In Spokane, the official hotel was the Davenport which is really nice but really pricey. The Saint Paul Hotel was the official hotel in 2008, and it's another ritzy, high-end place.

I stayed at the Doubletree in Spokane this year, and there were a lot of skaters that stayed there, too. Like ryanbfan said, they had a huge posterboard with starting orders and results which was really nice.

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

They usually have an official hotel for competitors and other ones for spectators, media etc. The competitors' hotel does tend to sell out quickly, and the specator ones often do as well. The spectator ones have a variety of price ranges, but typically you can find a better price on your own. The "spectator shuttle" will typically run to all the official hotels which may be convenient for people without cars - although some cities are better at running spectator shuttles than others. Spokane always had a ton of them after events, but some cities don't and the wait can sometimes be long.

Also, check the cancellation policies. Sometimes if you go through the official reservation system, there is a significant penalty if you cancel (or cancel too late). You may find more flexibility by booking on your own . I don't know the policy for Greensboro.

25. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

The official (skaters) hotel is the Sheraton; it is already sold out, per the Nats website, but sometimes rooms open up a month or so ahead of time. There are other hotels listed on the Nats website, but it does not appear the shuttle stops at all of them.

I don't have the exact link, but someone posted this tenative schedule a while ago (I copied it recently and sent to a friend):

Saturday, January 22
    - Official Practice sessions all day
    Sunday, January 23
    - Novice Compulsory Dance
    - Novice Pairs Short Program
    - Novice Ladies Short Program
    - Novice Men’s Short Program
    - Junior Ladies Short Program
    Monday, January 24
    - Novice Pairs Free Skate (Finals)
    - Novice Free Dance (Finals)
    - Novice Men’s Free Skate (Finals)
    - Novice Ladies Free Skate (Finals)
    - Junior Compulsory Dance
    Tuesday, January 25
    - Junior Original Dance
    - Junior Ladies Free Skate (Finals)
    Wednesday, January 26
    - Junior Men’s Short Program
    - Senior Compulsory Dance
    - Senior Pairs Short Program
    Thursday, January 27
    - Junior Free Dance (Finals)
    - Junior Pairs Short Program
    - Senior Original Dance
    - Senior Ladies Short Program
    Friday, January 28
    - Junior Pairs Free Skate (Finals)
    - Junior Men’s Free Skate (Finals)
    - Senior Men’s Short Program
    Saturday, January 29
    - Senior Pairs Free Skate (Finals)
    - Senior Free Dance (Finals)
    - Senior Ladies Free Skate (Finals)
    Sunday, January 30
    - Senior Men’s Free Skate (Finals)
    - U.S. Championships Skating Spectacular

26. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for their thoughts on the hotel!

I think if I do end up going--still deciding between Greensboro and Victoria--I would book on my own.

27. stogba

stogba New Member

I'm going to be staying at the airport Marriott. I asked if the shuttle will come there and they assured me it would.

28. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

The tentative schedule above is similar to Cleveland and St. Paul with the mens final and gala exhibition on Sunday. I'm starting to think about airline reservations, so I called the number on the event website and inquired whether the final competition would be on Saturday evening or Sunday. The person I spoke to asked someone and said that it might be on Saturday with only the gala on Sunday! It seems nothing is definite yet.

I've always been in a rush to get home and back to work so I've never stayed for the gala and am now in a quandry about my airline reservations. Do I fly out Sunday or Monday? I recall someone mentioned there is a hockey (I think its hockey) tournament in Raleigh that weekend so I'd like to book my airfare now.

Anyone have any more recent info about when the final competition and gala will be?

29. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

Now that there's no more compulsory event for the junior and senior dance teams, this could open up the schedule and allow them to finish all the events on Saturday night.

30. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks Tammi, I never thought about the impact eliminating the CDs would have on the schedule.

I think its really sad to eliminate the CDs. I only started watching the dance competitions in the last 4 years, and I really enjoyed the CDs. Guess I'll have to wait and see how I like this new "dance" combination thing Speedy came up with.