2011 Off-Season - All the Changes

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ziggy, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Latest batch of changes:

Coaching Changes:

Adam Rippon - Brian Orser > Ghislain Brand > Jason Dungjen
    Javier Fernandez - Nikolai Morozov > Brian Orser

Partner Changes

Kaleigh Hole/Adam Johnson - split
    Hole is going to focus on singles, whilst Johnson retired.

Darja Popova/Bruno Massot - new team (training under Steuer presumably)
    What country are they going to represent?

Lucie Mysliveckova/Matej Nowak - split
    He retired, she is looking for a new partner.

Injuries

Peter Liebers (broke a bone, question mark over the next season)

Retirements

Diane Szmiett
    Shawn Sawyer confirmed

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. elfenblüte

elfenblüte Member

3. lay'dback

lay'dback New Member

Jenna McCorkell & Kevin VDP left Juri Bureiko- training at Nottingham Ice Center with Gurgen Vardanjan (not sure how permenant this is). New programs choreographed already by Lorna Brown in LA. (hope they are good- cant be any worse! :D )

4. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Are they continuing? :eek:

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

OMG. It's official. Jenna is the new granny of skating. :lol:

Even though Fumie's been around for longer, it feels like Jenna's skating career has lasted decades!

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, lay'dback.

Did Vardanjan relocate from Hungary to UK permanently or is he only consulting skaters there?

I can't say I'm surprised they didn't retire. :D

7. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

Gurgen Vardanjan is as of last year the head coach at the National Ice Centre in Nottingham. Here is one source of many with that information: http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/4571. Vardanjan is now also coaching David Richardson who trains along side his son, Tigran. It is my understanding that Kevin and Jenna are good friends with David; so it does not really surprise me that they are going to his coach now. Let's just hope that the coaching they receive is good enough for them to have no trouble keeping their jumps so that at least that portion of their "programs" are watchable. ;)

8. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Szmiett's retirement isn't any great surprise, I'm sure, but I'm still a little sorry to hear of it. Her 2009 Cup of China freeskate was, for this viewer, one of the highlights of an otherwise disappointing ladies' event. Best of luck to her in her future endeavors. :)

9. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

So, should we start off-season chit chat which of the 3rd and 4th tier american skaters has granfather´s best friend of Grenada and Morrocco ancestry or which of them were vacating on Cyprus last summer? :dog:

10. lay'dback

lay'dback New Member

Heard that next season they may now be training with Simon & Debbie Briggs in Scotland. Programmes are def done (Lorna Brown) so they must be planning to continue.

11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

And it's still only June!

There's still plenty of time to hear about pregnancies, too -- real and otherwise. :lol:

12. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i missed the info about denny cutting her partner- 30 stiches yikes- was that why he spilt? sorry i did not want to go back thorugh the 800 post thread :)

13. plushenkofan

plushenkofan New Member

According to artonice.it, dance team Federica Testa and Christopher Mior broke up and he is now skating with Federica Bernardi.

14. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

I guess you were really out of the loop. The accident happened right before they were to leave for Four Continents so they had to withdraw, allowing Rockne to compete at an ISU championship with his new partner.

I believe there is some speculation that Denney was the instigator of the split because she wanted to partner up with John Coughlin, who announced his break with Caitlin Yankowskas shortly after Worlds. (But I could have that wrong :))

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Jenna McCorkell's not that old. I think she's only 24 or 25. I know what people mean though, it seems like she's been skating in ISU events forever. I guess it's because she started competing internationally quite young, being Britain's only good female singles skater.

I hope the coaching change brings positive stuff for both of them, as they've been struggling (especially her) in the last couple of seasons, although VDP did skate well at the 2011 Euros.

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Oh, that's horrible! I hope he recovers quickly and can get back on the ice soon. I loved his programs this year!

17. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Yes, she's 24, just like Carolina Kostner. It's KVDP who's pushing 29 (28 at moment but turns 29 in August). Not a bad jumper for 29...or any age, for that matter. :lol:

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Two more splits:

Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates
    Adeline Canac/Yannick Bonheur

No idea about Adeline but everyone else is looking for new partners.

Oh and also Brooke Elisabeth Frieling / Lionel Rumi.

Looks like he's looking for a new partner as Papa Boria posted a call for skaters with Jewish heritage on the Israeli Fed's website.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  19. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

So sad for Peter, he made so much progress last season!
    Federica Testa will continue, with a new partner, according to :sekret:

20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

That call has been there forever; easier to import Jewish skaters than to develop a skating program in Israel, I guess.

We really do need another rink. And another federation to go with it. ;)

Yannick Bonheur is seriously planning to continue?

21. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Since this is coming from you AND we have a new Italian ice dance coach, I have to wonder if this has something to do with Finland? :p

22. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

;) ahah I heard that a few days ago ;) (about the coach... and some rumors about Fede but those are still unclear)

As I already read it on http://ontd-skating.livejournal.com/ I suppose it's out there - Marchei is leaving Morozov & moving to Sato/Dungjen too (confirmed), w/ possible choreo from Pasquale (I know she would like and they had talked, I expect it to happen but haven't the official confirmation yet).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    peibeck and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Finnice

No comment on that. I just heard that she is not stopping.

24. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

After just a little bit of searching I found out myself. ;) I suppose it's not sekret since it's on the club website? http://www.hsk.fi/jaatanssi/jaatanssiparit/

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  25. alhrayth

bueno! :) the source I heard about them actually didn't know the name of the guy... or better, I think she was even confused about his nationality! LOL

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Most recent article from the Detroit Free Press

http://www.freep.com/article/20110629/SPORTS17/106290385/1048/sports

Valentina Marchei's tenure at the club is confirmed to begin this weekend and an update on Adam Rippon. Interesting quote from Adam which has a "read between the lines quality"

On having Dungjen as his primary coach: "I wasn't expecting him to be so fine-tuned with his technique, and it works really well for me. I knew I needed to continue to fix and develop, and I think in the past it was kind of, like, 'Well, just do it.' With Jason, he's not worried about taking things back and starting over, and fixing them so I don't have any problems. He hasn't suffocated me with new ideas, which has been great as well."

Also, Evan Bates' teaming up with Madison Chock is also confirmed within this article.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ok sooooo:

Federica Testa/Christopher Mior - split
    Federica Bernardi/Christopher Mior - new team
    Federica Testa/Sasha Palomaki - new team (he's Finnish and used to skate with Oksana Klimova before, I guess they will represent FIN?)

Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates - split
    Madison Chock/Evan Bates - new team
    Emily is apparently looking for a new partner

28. Finnice

I dare to confirm because it is on the club´s site. Yes, if Federica gets things sorted out, they will represent FIN.

If only Otar Japaridze would find a new partner soon...

29. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

Italian "gazzetta dello sport" said the choreo from Pasquale was sure...(I hope it was right! :))

30. alhrayth

I think it is, I know they talked and everything, and that was a big part of the plan.