2011 Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by genevieve, May 6, 2011.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I am so envious sk8pics!! Lucky you. :)

Are there pictures?

2. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I'll post some pictures when I'm on my laptop on photobucket and let you know.

3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I'd love to see them too. Did you make an appointment to visit the stable or did you just "show up"? My mother and I would love to visit, Fair Hill, Sagamore and maybe Bonita farms one day. Might make a great day trip.

4. sk8pics

Here is a link to some of the pictures we took:

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/sk8pics/Fair Hill 2011/

skipaway, the folks at Fair Hill are very welcoming to visitors, but you do need to contact them ahead of time and ask them if it's okay to visit. You contact the farm manager from their website and let her know when you'd like to visit. The first time I did this, we didn't visit any of the barns. This time I asked her in the email if we could meet Animal Kingdom and Better Talk Now and she had said yes. I also asked about bringing treats and she said they like carrots and peppermints. While we were there, I asked about Lentenor (4 year old brother of Barbaro) and so we were able to see him cooling down after his workout), and that's when we met Roy and Gretchen Jackson, too. For Lentenor, the manager called the barn and asked if it was okay and the people said yes, but we wouldn't be able to feed him, since he was cooling down. Anyway, typically you start at the clocker's tower and go from there. We were also able to see the starting gate they use for schooling, and watch a baby getting his first lessons.

I think it helped that we had a couple of kids with us, but they were very nice to me last year, too. That time, it hadn't occurred to me to ask about meeting any of the horses, but I'm glad I asked this year. They also gave the kids a horseshoe that one of the horses threw in his workout. We brought a little gift, some chocolate, for the manager and I'm glad since she spent so much time with us, probably a couple of hours.

5. skipaway

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a beautiful place!

6. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pictures. Finally got a chance to take a look at them tonight. You really got some gorgeous shots. Thanks again for sharing them w/us. :)

7. Jem X

Jem X Needing sleep.

Nice pics! Bet you all had a great time.

8. skipaway

Resurrected this thread just to shout out that Animal Kingdom just won the Dubai World Cup! Congrats especially to Graham Motion, one of my favorite trainers and an all around great guy!

9. sk8pics

Yay! I was jumping up and down yelling for him. I was worried when he was so close to the front, but wow, he was fit and ready to go today. What a great horse, and I am so lucky to have had the chance to meet him and pet his nose, and tell him what a good boy he is.

10. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Terrific news!