2011 Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by genevieve, May 6, 2011.

1. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

From skipaway's posted article:

After this he'll probably spend the rest of his life at stud. :grope:

2. reese

reese Well-Known Member

3. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I have an extremely limited knowledge of horse racing; I started watching the main races with some degree of interest after I read Jane Smiley's "Horse Heaven" about 6 years ago. Beautiful, compex book about horse racing, I heartily recommend. From what I understand she has an in- depth knowledge of horses and horse-racing, and tried to present all sides of the business- the beautiful and the ugly.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I fell in love with horses when I was a kid, reading the Black Stallion books. My watching racing on tv (even though I've only been to one race in person, and that was harness) comes from that.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

:respec: Horse Heaven is a GREAT novel!

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

7. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I'm glad to hear Arch3 will be okay, I hope Comma to the Top will be as well. I've haven't read anything about an injury to Battle of Hastings.

Congrats to Velasquez for his first Derby Win, after having his horses scratched 3 years in a row and being a last minute replacement. {{{Robby Albarado}}} This must break his heart.

No Johnny Weir this year. :( But Sarah Hughes came to the BB party, looking mighty fab.

Sarah Hughes 1

Sarah Hughes 2

Sarah Hughes 3

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Nice shoes, Sarah. My interest in the derby is limited to the hats. Love that one.

9. pollyanna

10. pollyanna

11. Southpaw

I don't know why it makes me :rofl: to see Taylor Dayne at the Kentucky Derby, but it does.

She looks all kinds of :smokin: though. Good on ya, Taylor!

12. skipaway

Battle of Hastings had a condylar fracture similar to Arch3 and will have surgery to correct at Rood and Riddle. It is not a life threatening injury.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Um, Sarah? That black bra was a mistake.

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

It looks like a bodysuit (or likely a slip-like dress itself) that was designed to go under the sheer dress. I think it would look a tad better if the overlay had a slightly higher neckline (only and inch or so) but otherwise think she looks great!

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Higher neckline and strapless bra or whatever it is, would have been vastly better. The black straps are rather unseemly, especially at this event.

17. skipaway

My sister, who lives in Baltimore, saw a billboard that says,

"The Kentucky Derby, the last Prep Race before the Preakness."

Way to deflate America's most important race. :lol:

18. skipaway

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I will start by saying I am not a betting person. I go to Tahoe/Atlantic City and rarely spend a cent on gambling. I don't know any of the card games or roulette. If anything, I might spend $5 and 5 minutes on a slot machine. If I win anything, I put the $5 back in my pocket and leave. I once put in $5 and won $250, and I had absolutely no desire to continue so I took my $250 and left. I play Fantasy Football and NCAA basketball for fun (not money). I don't bet on the outcomes of games.

On Saturday, I had a really strong premonition that Animal Kingdom was going to win. About an hour before the race, I didn't know who was running or who were the favorites, but I heard the name Animal Kingdom for the first time, and I said to my mother and husband that he would win. I even got on my phone and found an online Derby betting site. I had a very strong urge to bet $1000!!!!!! Like the little red devil was on my shoulder kind of urge. Me -- I barely even bet $2 at people's Triple Crown parties. Then I talked myself out of it because I think it is generally a waste of money. Waaaaaaah!!!!! That would have been $20,000!!! But actually, it was a really weird feeling so I am glad I am not a gambling type because I can see how that kind of mind game with yourself can be dangerous.

20. skipaway

21. pollyanna

22. skipaway

AK born March 20, 2008 Who knew what he'd become?

So Cute

23. Southpaw

:swoon: He's like a mini-giraffe!

24. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

So cute! And it's like he's saying, lemme out of here, the way the person is kind of holding onto him. May he continue to race well and safely!

25. pollyanna

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Only 24! How sad! And how creepy that it seems he was dead in his car for quite a while before medical personnel finally checked him out.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

The odds are quite good it was not natural causes or murder, sad to say. He was having some problems.

I felt awful for John Cort--first Derby after such a hard-knock career and ArchArchArch takes himself out straight out of the gate. Thank God Cort was able to stay on. (Glad the horse lived, but gee, surprise surprise, 4x4 to Northern Dancer, 4x5 to Raise a Native. I wouldn't breed to something where I'd be afraid would snap an ankle every time he trips. Ought to geld him and sell him for a riding home. No lines there the breed can't afford to lose.)

Conversely, I would happily put my name down now if I had a mare to send to Animal Kingdom--only inbreeding is a 4Sx4d to Lyphard, which creates a very distant cross on Northern Dancer five back, but happily outweighed by all those totally unheard-of British, French, and German lines. Heck, I'd think about borrowing the money and begging to get her on his book if I had my horse's half-sister as my boy has Blushing Groom on the top, too, and apparently his female family crosses on it well...

28. skipaway

In case you hadn't heard, AK was injured probably in the Belmont stakes and has been diagnosed with a "slab fracture" of his left hind leg. He had successful surgery on Thurs at New Bolton and will be out the rest of the year. :(

AK out for Year

Dialed In, who ran in the KY Derby and Preakness is also out with an injury, a chip in the right knee and had surgery too. :(

Dialed In out

29. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I believe one of the jockeys in the Belmont got a suspension for rough riding and AK got caught in the crosshairs.

I never quite saw the excitement on Dialed In.

Anyway, attention's all moved on to the Ascot meet as it is. (Goldikova did not repeat this year. But at least she's still running.)

30. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I heard that Animal Kingdom has been cleared to resume racing. I hope he will be able to come back strong.

I met him yesterday and he is as sweet as can be -- as long as you come bearing the proper gifts of carrots and peppermints. He ate as many carrots and peppermints as we had for him and let us pet him on his head, cheek, nose. He has such a kind eye. He seemed just like a barn pet and yet he is the Kentucky Derby winner. The horse in the stall next to him was scoped while we were there and then he just looked at us so pitifully and hopefully we fed him carrots, too. :lol:

As an aside, we also met Better Talk Now, 2004 Breeders Cup Turf champ. Blackie wants you to remember that he is a champ and you'd also better have carrots and peppermints for him! He was out in his paddock and came running over to us, ate 2 or 3 carrots and peppermints and then turned his back on us and walked away. :lol: That's okay, he can do what he wants.

Rottie and (deleted member) like this.