2011 Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by genevieve, May 6, 2011.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

2. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the Oaks...Plum Pretty over St. John's River by a neck. Was going to start the Derby thread...glad you did.
    Here's the article with video of the KO...

Kentucky Oaks 2011

Rosie Napravinik, first female jockey with mounts in both races took 2nd and showed she really is the real deal. After Edgar Prado, (who doesn't have a mount in the Derby again this year...what is wrong with those owners and trainers who don't use him?), Rosie is beginning to be a favorite of mine.

Derby is too hard to call, I have about 7 that I like. Arch3 with Johnny Court is my sentimental favorite....I love Johnny Court and at 50 years old, this is his first derby but at a terrible post position (1) it'll be hard.
  3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Last year at this time we (as in my family) talked about going to the Derby this year. Guess that didn't happen. :lol:

So, who are the favorites?
  4. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

:glamor: HATS! :glamor: MORE HATS! :glamor: EVEN MORE HATS! :glamor:

No Princess Beatrice knock-offs! :wuzrobbed

The plethora of pink is because Oaks Days is also breast cancer awareness day.

http://www.whas11.com/sports/university-of-kentucky/121409898.html
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. pollyanna

Earlier this week, jockey Robby Albarado was injured when, during the parade to post, Albarado's horse bucked and the jockey fell onto the track. His horse got excited and kicked back, hitting Albarado in the face. Albarado sat on the track, his face covered in blood, until ambulances arrived. He was taken away by stretcher to the hospital. He suffered a laceration over his eyebrow and on his forehead, as well as a broken nose.

Jockey Robby Albarado kicked in the face by horse, rushed to hospital

Due to this injury, Albarado won't be able race Animal Kingdom in the Derby. :( Luckily for Animal Kingdom, the scratch of Uncle Mo freed up jockey John Velazquez.

Velazquez lands another Kentucky Derby ride
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

:cheer: Pants On Fire :cheer:
  7. pollyanna

Isn't that a great name? :lol: He's a big local favorite because of it.

All the great Derby parties are tonight. The most famous is the Barnstable-Brown gala, and yes, Johnny Weir will be attending again this year. :encore:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/content/parties-purpose

Some of the 2011 Barnstable-Brown celebrity guests

Kate Gosselin? :confused:
  8. pollyanna

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have to cheer on any horse named Comma To the Top. Plus they have some of the worst odds and I love me an underdog.
  10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Hope no one has to be put down on the track this year! Don't know about you guys, but I find that to be a real bummer!
  11. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

A death on the track is horrible. Even when you're there on a weekday with all the hard-bitten rail birds, a hush comes over the place.

For being kicked in the head by a horse, Albarado is pretty fortunate.

I haven't followed racing at all this year and can't believe the Derby is upon us already. Clearly I am working too much!
  12. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Comma to the Top is a "friend" of Zenyatta, I believe, or at least he is a fan of hers, LOL. So I will probably root for him. Or maybe Pants on Fire, who's gotten some good press recently, I think.

I have my DVR all set since I'll be out during the actual race. I nearly forgot about it, but I was at the track this morning making my rounds for CANTER, checking to see if any trainers needed to list horses for sale, and people were talking about the Derby. I took one listing (the first one I've done by myself since I'm a relatively new volunteer) of a pretty filly. Hopefully she'll find a new home.
  13. skipaway

OT but: Wheeeeee!!!! :cheer2: Rachel Alexandra's foal will be a colt. Very cute update on NBC. She's due in Feb.
  14. genevieve

Have to root for Pants on Fire. Girl (jockey) Power!!

ETA: they should have blocked the fashion reporter better - her fascinator totally covers her face when she turns to the supermodel I've never heard of or seen before.
  15. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I've missed watching the Derby the last few years but I'm watching it this afternoon. It's pretty fun to watch the pre-race stuff and see who all is attending this year. One of my fave actresses, Kate Walsh, is attending for the first time and I honestly can't wait to see what she decided to wear. Her twitter comments have been pretty funny lately about deciding her wardrobe, LOL :lol:

They replayed what I called the "wife race" from last season with the two horses that had similar names and came in first and second and I cracked up all over again. :rofl:
  16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Can nobody sing the National anthem just straight any more or does every wo oooo rrr ddd have to be stttt rrreeeet chhhhhed into 10 syl laaaaaa bles.
  17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Who did you not hear of before? Maria Menounos or Niki Taylor?
  18. genevieve

Maria Menounos
  19. HeatherC

Aww, some of these stories are so heartwarming. I'm such a sucker for a great story and I love that this trainer and his jockey, and son in law, Jon Court are finally going to make their Derby debuts. :cheer:
  20. genevieve

I know...I end up desperately wanting about half the field to win
  21. HeatherC

I love it! The guy who was supposed to ride Uncle Mo ended up winning on Animal Kingdom. What a great win for him and boy did he come out of nowhere! :cheer:
  22. genevieve

ooo what was that from the owner dissing previous trainers? :watch:

hope that Arch Arch Arch is ok :(
  23. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Well that was fun ( apart from Arch Arch Arch having to go into the ambulance- hope he's OK). Beautiful finish by Animal Kingdom.
  24. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Amen
  25. skipaway

:cheer2: for Graham Motion and his Animal Kingdom. Graham is one of the most honest trainers in the business, has never had a horse with a positive drug test post race and is just a gentleman beyond gentlemen. And good for Johnny V, first Kentucky Derby win, which is amazing as he is Pletcher's go to jock.
  26. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Well, looks like ArchArchArch and Battle of Hastings suffered fractured bones. Both could be put down by the end of the night, if they have been already. Disgusting. I hate horse racing. Unbelievably cruel. A lot of those horses today weren't even 3. :mad:
  27. skipaway

It is very unfortunate and sad when horses injure themselves. I understand your anger.
    btw...only 1 of the horses was under 3 yrs old.

Here's the article and video of the 2011 Kentucky Derby.

2011 Kentucky Derby
  28. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Reports during the broadcast, and so far on the Net suggest ArchArchArch's injury is not life-threatening. I hope that's still the case.
  29. skipaway

Arch3 has a lateral condylar fracture that will require surgery but is not life threatening.
  30. skipaway

31. purple skates

From skipaway's posted article:

After this he'll probably spend the rest of his life at stud. :grope:
  32. reese

reese Well-Known Member

33. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I have an extremely limited knowledge of horse racing; I started watching the main races with some degree of interest after I read Jane Smiley's "Horse Heaven" about 6 years ago. Beautiful, compex book about horse racing, I heartily recommend. From what I understand she has an in- depth knowledge of horses and horse-racing, and tried to present all sides of the business- the beautiful and the ugly.
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  34. purple skates

I fell in love with horses when I was a kid, reading the Black Stallion books. My watching racing on tv (even though I've only been to one race in person, and that was harness) comes from that.
    genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  35. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

:respec: Horse Heaven is a GREAT novel!
    dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  36. skipaway

37. pollyanna

I'm glad to hear Arch3 will be okay, I hope Comma to the Top will be as well. I've haven't read anything about an injury to Battle of Hastings.

Congrats to Velasquez for his first Derby Win, after having his horses scratched 3 years in a row and being a last minute replacement. {{{Robby Albarado}}} This must break his heart.

No Johnny Weir this year. :( But Sarah Hughes came to the BB party, looking mighty fab.

Sarah Hughes 1

Sarah Hughes 2

Sarah Hughes 3
  38. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Nice shoes, Sarah. My interest in the derby is limited to the hats. Love that one.
  39. pollyanna

40. pollyanna