2011 Four Continents-Taipei

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by beebee, Sep 3, 2010.

1. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Wow so besides Chan the podium finishers are all going to compete at 4CC!!

2. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

chan isn't going to compete at 4CC? Why? :(

3. care bear

care bear Active Member

O, thank you!:)

4. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Because he is, by his own admission, a bad traveler and 3 more trips to the opposite side of the globe this season doesn't seem smart to him. (He is hoping that Canada will be one of the teams at the team event in April, so along with 4CC and Worlds that is 3 more high-level competitions.) Since the Worlds is top priority, and ISU has made the team championships mandatory and the entry of a country's top skaters mandatory, 4CC is really the only one that is optional for him.

If you want to hear some of his own words on the decision, go to SkateBuzz.com and watch the video interview he did with Debbie Wilkes after winning the Canadian Championships.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. fsf9012

fsf9012 New Member

Since Chan already won the 4CC in 2009, I don't think he has a motivation to compete. Isn't the ISU team trophy this year? If he goes to the 4CC and the team trophy, he will have 4 major competitions in Asia this season. He made a wise decision. It's time to focus on the worlds. BTW, why the ISU assigns competitions to one continent? Asian countries got the GPF 3 years in a row. Aside from the worlds and the team trophy, at least they could have adjust the GPF host.

6. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

USA 4CC:
    Ladies: Czisny:swoon: :glamor:, Flatt, Nagasu (alt. Wagner, Zawadzki, Gao)
    Pairs: Yankowskas & Coughlin, Evora & Ladwig, Denney & Barrett (alt. Vise/Baldwin, Marley/Brubaker, Casteli/Shnapir)
    Dance: Davis & White:glamor:, Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Zuerlein. (alt. Hubbell/Hubell, Lynn/Logan, Cannuscio/Lorello)

so excited, hope they all show up:40beers:

7. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I would be surprised to see Czisny or Flatt at four continents.

8. anony

anony New Member

Excited about the US team! Hopefully it'll be a good show for the audience. The stadium is really quite new (5-6 years old!) and very nice. And it's really actually in the city as opposed to being somewhere on the outskirts so lots of fun and sights to see and do.

At the risk of sounding like a tour guide, and I know this is probably a bit late, but I really hope there will be people going to Taiwan who have never been there before!

Taipei is just such a fun fun city with so much good food! 3-5 US dollars for a drink with endless refills, soup, biscuit, steaming pork chops, rice, and veggies is seriously a steal.

Obviously you have to try as much Chinese food as possible (Din Tai Fung is a must!), but I swear that even the McDonalds there taste better than in the US. Seriously. Even French food, Italian food, Japanese food, Korean food, Russian food - it's all there and delicious (even if the Western dishes aren't as "genuine" as they could be) And if you see a fruit shop/stand on a street corner somewhere, go in and check out all the awesome fruits. And don't be afraid to wander into one of the lovely little bakeries scattered all around or try some street vendor food.

And of course, sightseeing-wise, the National Palace Museum is an absolute absolute must, Taipei 101 of course, Flora Expo, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, and one of the night markets - Shilin is the most famous.

So yes! So happy that Taipei is getting a big competition! (Too bad it's not Worlds hehehe.)

9. DinDonShamu

DinDonShamu New Member

As someone who grew up in Taipei I can safely say Taiwan has the best food in the world :D. Even those "genuine" European dishes don't taste as good as Taiwanese variations. Unfortunately, I don't find Ding Tai Fung that special. However, you can watch them make those Xiaolong buns from outside the restaurants. The efficiency of the chefs were :eek:, and their movements a beauty. My cousin told me that McDonald's now only serve four types of sandwiches. Their main selling points are the other things, among them popcorn chicken and multi-flavored porridge (someone correct me if I'm wrong. Memories are failing me recently).

I would recommend you skip dinner and roam around the night market to order some (or all :D) of these:

http://www2.scu.edu.tw/foreign/epower/selfstudy/resources/night_eng.htm

Definitely try to "feel" Taipei and its vibe. For visitors who are comfy with the West Coast suburbs, the density of buildings and the disorderliness of traffic can at first come as a shock, but once you're more settled you will find it extremely charming. It is small compared to many other metropolis, but that also means everything is in vincinity, like a jewelry box full of treasures. Almost every tourist spot is reachable by MRT, but you can choose to gently rock your way to them in a bus and enjoy the slow traffic.

More sightseeing points:

You should definitely visit Shilin night market as well as Raohejie and Gongguan (?) night market. While you're there, don't forget to visit the century-old University of Taiwan itself.

Anony mentioned Taipei 101, but she really meant the area around the building as well, including all the fancy shops and stores and restaurants. Xinyi District is the "newer" part of Taipei and had a lot of good stuff. I especially love to visit the five story Eslite Bookstore a few blocks away from city hall. Easily a day gone for book lovers (as well as lovers for the random stuff like binders, pens, envelopes, etc.).

I also find the area around Taipei Trains Station very exciting. There are department stores of course, but I found rows and rows of shops in the "old" streets much more attractive. The presidential office is also within walking distance. Be sure to check out the underground streets that connects the train station as well as a couple MRT stations.

You can also visit Danshui old town and fisherman's wharf there.

ETA: OMG forgot to mention ... The lantern festival. Visit Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Kai-shek_Memorial_Hall at night, around 2/17 and be amazed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  10. nikjil

nikjil Active Member

I visited Taiwan in November, spent a long weekend with my brother who lived there for several years. Din Tai Fung was wonderful but difficult to get into. Luckily, he has a friend who has pull, so we were able to get reservations to several hard to get into places. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt, which I was not impressed with and would suggest people avoid it, although the location is great. If the Cloud Gate Dance troupe is performing, they are a must to see at the National Theatre. Another great and more expensive restaurant is Jen Chien, which is Chinese fusion, very neat modern decor with the coolest entrance. Taihodien specializes in spicy hotpot and is wonderful but you definitely need reservations. We went to the Tunghua Chieh night market, which was in my brother's old neighborhood. It's really not very touristy, more household items and clothing for locals but lots of food stalls if you want to eat street food, which is quite good. If you want to try the Taiwan drink of pearl milk tea go to Chun Shui Tang, which has several locations.

A really terrific place, in easy walking distance from the Chiang Kai-Shek memorial is the Taiwan Handicrafts Center. This 4-story floor is full of items all made by Taiwanese craftsmen. It has a wide range from expensive "tourist" items to hugely expensive fine jewelry and wall hangings. I did most of my Christmas shopping there. Another great place to see is the Lungshan Temple, going during a service is just amazing. Tainan Tu Hsiao Yueh is a wonderful, amazingly inexpensive restaurant that serves southern Taiwanese food that's cooked in a small open kitchen by the entrance, it's on a small side street that must have 50 restaurants each one of which looked fantastic.

Definitely try any of the little noodle shops you see on side streets and alleys. We went to one called My Noodle Shop, it has a small kitchen in the back and a street kitchen. For less than $10 U.S. we had dumplings, sodas, and two different kinds of noodles.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

12. beebee

beebee Active Member

This color-coded schedule was posted in the 4CC section.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/FC_2011_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

I'm finding it kind of confusing. The original printed schedule on the website made it look like there was only a Preliminary Round for Ladies, but this is clearly not so. Anyone smarter than I who knows what's happening?

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Like HisWeirness? :)

For those without access to the Kiss and Cry forum (where the Four Continents event discussion is supposed to take place), here's a useful link/post excerpt:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3061703&postcount=30

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  14. beebee

beebee Active Member

Thanks Sylvia. I'm going to both 4CC and Worlds and was confusing the Preliminary Rounds for the two events (duh!) The info posted by HisWeirness is extremely helpful.

15. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

I only see a preliminary round for Ladies (Pre-L F) in the colored schedule.
    Prior to the preliminary round the preliminary round ladies and the direct entry ladies practice in separate groups on this schedule.
    Practices are in a solid color while competitions just have colored bands at the start and end of the competition.

16. beebee

beebee Active Member

HisWeirness--you have helped me see the light. Thanks!

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Ok anony and DinDonShamu-you've talked me into it.

Now I have to add visiting Taipai as one of my life goals!!! Your respective descriptions of the food alone hooked me!! :watch:

I am desperate to see footage of this competition! It will be the only time this year all top 3 U.S. women will compete against Japan's best! :)

There's just one more thing-the Vegetarian Squid with Green Vegetables. How can that be vegetarian?? And what's a 'coffin' on the menu?? Sounds deadly! :D

18. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

Here is a picture of 'coffin', http://blog.roodo.com/spoon/archives/8686235.html
    It is a piece of fried bread stuff with some yammy

The squid in Vegetarian Squid with Green Vegetables is actually made with konjac jelly so it is a vegetarian dish.

19. justAfsfan

justAfsfan Member

Could someone please kindly help me on this

I saw on 4CC website

"The Organizing Committee will arrange the seats according to the actual registered time and dates. Any duplicate registrations, the Organizing Committee will reserve the ticket amount based on the latest registration record"

Is this apply to the first round of registration also. Bacause I register for Men and women fs for the first time and later I register for pair because I don't know that the duplicate policy is applied. Is this means I will only get ticket for pair FS?

Anyone know about this?
    I'm so sad now, I really looking forward to see Yuzuru LP.

I will be really grateful if someone can help me clarify since I still have time to book ticket for men sp, pair lp and free dance.
    Thank you so much

20. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

The answer in a word is: Profitability! That's where the sport is booming; Television ratings are huge and networks are willing to pony up big fees to the ISU for coverage rights. Until this changes the current situation will continue.

21. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all the tour guides posting here :)
    I don't plan on going but I thought for those who are, that someone comment on any language issues that might exist.
    For example, I went to Japan a few years ago and visited mostly major cities including Tokyo. I was shocked at how little English was spoken there and in many/most places none was spoken. Thankfully I was with a friend in the US Navy stationed there who had invested time in learning some key phrases in Japan or I would have been toast!

Any counselling there might help those who do not speak any Asian languages....

Sounds like fun though. I'd love to come but for now I'd settle for getting it on TV!

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Yes, shocking that not everybody everywhere speaks your native language. How dare they.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  23. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

I called the offical and she said yes you will only have pair, and most of ladies and men tickets are gone. But I may have a extra ticket, if need it pm me after 2/16.

24. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Back ot I can't wait for 4CCs! I will rush home each day for updates (sadly I have to work-can't switch days off again so soon after Nationals or the boss will get suspicios :D ).

25. justAfsfan

justAfsfan Member

Many many thank you so much for your help,you are really kind!:saint:

26. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

I just pick up a couple of tickets for each session free, it is really easy to get tickets and it costs nothing, so if anyone can get a last minute flight to Taipei next wek, it is really a bargain, and there are lots hotels within walking distance to the arean.
    I am so excited to see Asada, Ando, Nagasu, Davis/White, Virtue/Moir, Abbott
    and the rest. I think I saw Czisny at 2003 US National in Dallas, at the time she was a rising star with her sister, looking forward to seeing her again.
    what happen to her sister?

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Alissa's fraternal twin sister's name is Amber. After Amber Czisny's one Senior Nationals in 2003, she had various injuries (feet, hips) that hampered her jumping and she trained for a little a while in ice dancing before retiring from competition. She graduated from college (Oakland University), coaches in the Detroit area, and was married this past November. ETA: Her Detroit SC coach listing mentions that she is a certified physical therapist.

newfsfan, I hope you will be sharing your personal impressions from 4 Continents here (or in the 4 Continents subforum in the Kiss and Cry section of the forum). :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  28. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

Thanks Sylvia, you are really amazing.:)

29. beebee

beebee Active Member

Did you actually pick up your tickets already? I'm in Taipei now and when we went to the arena were told that pick-up will begin on 2/15 (as indicated on the instructions.)

I was also informed that the free seats are located on the third level. When I asked about the lower levels, was told they are all sponsor seats. Hope this is not true, but even if it is, the price was right and so far, Taipei is fantastic!

30. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

does anyone know, if thereĀ“s a livestream?