2011 Four Continents-Taipei

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by beebee, Sep 3, 2010.

1. beebee

beebee Active Member

Looks like an official website just went up for this event--but only in Mandarin, I believe. I plan to attend, but need some info in English. Here is the link to the site:

http://www.figureskating.com.tw/2011FCC/index.html

Is there anyone who can translate into English and let me know if there is any information about how to purchase tickets. I don't feel secure about going to Taipei without having tickets in hand. Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!
  2. tianrushui

tianrushui New Member

There hasn't been any ticket information in the official website yet...
  3. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It's been quite a while since there was an ISU event in Taiwan. I think the last time was a Junior Grand Prix event in 2006.
  4. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

It is only calling for volunters now, no ticket info yet. I am going to try to apply for it.
  5. beebee

beebee Active Member

6. nikjil

nikjil Active Member

Argh! I'm vacationing in Taiwan in 3 weeks, if only I'd known, I would have waited until February.
  7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Just curious -- will China send a team to Taipei?
  8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The pairs compeition would be damaged if China didn't go. I don't think China sending athletes to Taiwan indicates China thinks Taiwan is independent so I doubt they would boycott 4CC.
  9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

China did boycott that Junior Grand Prix event in Taiwan so unless they think differently about it China will probably boycott 4CC next year.
  10. NMURA

NMURA Member

I don't think it's a "boycott". Arranging the Taiwanese visa is troublesome for the Mainlanders and a minor event like JGP isn't worthy for that. Four Continents should be different.
  11. DinDonShamu

DinDonShamu New Member

Just dug out this thread from google as it looked like I have a slight chance of going next year :lol:.

I don't think China would boycott this event. In fact, a while ago the entire Chinese figure skating team, including the top pairs, performed in Taiwan. Hopefully China will send all the top pairs to Taipei this time, given that worlds is a month away and in the same time zone ...

BTW the corresponding English site is up in case anyone is interested:

http://figureskating.com.tw/2011FCC/eng/default.php
  12. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Nope don't think China will boycott. Even though it's in Taiwan, we are officially known as Chinese Taipei in the sporting world. Also China did send teams to the World's Game and Deflympics last year which both were held here in Taiwan.

Don't think I can volunteer but I am SO going to be there!! It will be my first live FS event ever!!!!
  13. melonmelon

melonmelon New Member

I don't think China will boycott, too.
    Yesterday, Pang/Tong announced that they will participate in the 2011 Winter Asian Games(wow), 4CC and Worlds.
  14. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

oh, gooooooooooood news! tnks!!

anyways, I loooooooove Pang/Tong's FS Liebestraum. If it's clean and neat, it's absolutely gonna be the best program using Liebestraum, out of all fields, even above Kulik's mesmerizing version.
    I really hope to see the clean program in no long time:D:D:D

does asada compete at 4CC? I've read the criteria for japanese skaters to compete at the worlds and wondered, 'is there a criteria for 4CC, too?'
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  15. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I just went to the official site and clicked on the tickets... apparently it's not on sale yet? Or are they giving it away for free because you can select a total of two per event per person...

Wouldn't be surprised if it's free, because figure skating is not mainstream at all and maybe the local federation wants to use this to promote the sport.
  16. Kitty Hu

Kitty Hu New Member

So far as I know ,they will send skaters there, and because it will take a very long time to get the visa to Taipei,so they have began to apply for the visa already.
  17. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

18. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea... who's competing this year for Chinese Taipei? The Yangs still competing? Stephen Kuo?
  19. NMURA

NMURA Member

As for Japan, Asada and Murakami will be there. In an article after TEB, Asada was reported to be "planning" to compete at 4CC regardless of Nationals results. We can easily understand she needs to compensate for the sponsors and the federation acknowledges that. In a more recent article, the JSF president specially mentioned giving supports to Murakami to enhance competitive experiences, including Asian Winter Games and 4CC. It's quite obvious Murakami will be selected for the world team barring meltdowns.

On the men's side, it's basically up in the air except Kozuka who has the same coach with Asada.
  20. justAfsfan

justAfsfan New Member

I don't live in Taiwan,but I love to attend 4CC, I already register for ticket on the website like you did.

Anyone know if I can be sure that the seat is booked by that registeration process because it is quite costly to me to fly to Taipei (and I also have to apply for visa) and I don't want to fly there to stay out of the arena. :(

I would be thankful for any infomation about this competition. Thank you so much
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  21. Sylvia

No, the Yangs are no longer competing together. Last I heard, he had retired and she (Amanda Sunyoto-Yang) was looking for a pair partner. Stephen Kuo was not listed in the recent Nationals results, but I thought he was considering competing one more season because of 4CC being in Taipei. Corinna Lin was the only Senior lady that competed at Nationals. Melinda Wang competed at 2010 Four Continents and Junior Worlds and may be another possibility.
  22. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

I called last week and the lady told me that if you reserved tickets then you can pick up at the window with your id and email address.
    I live about one hour from Taipei so I don't go there often, but if anyone planning coming and needs info about transportation or lodging, I can try to help out, just pm me.
  23. rhumba

rhumba New Member

24. Sylvia

USFS got the okay from the ISU is what I heard.

Thanks to Marroncream for translating Japan's 4CC selection criteria document at:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2989019&postcount=40
  25. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Woo so it is free!?

Did the lady say when the tickets can be picked up??
  26. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

I guess when the competition starts.
  27. justAfsfan

justAfsfan New Member

Thank you so much!!! :saint:
  28. rhumba

rhumba New Member

29. Sylvia

There is no published criteria, AFAIK. Usually the top 3 (age-eligible) finishers in each discipline at US Nationals are offered Four Continents and it's their choice whether or not to accept. In 2009, the top 3 finishers at Nationals all went to Four Continents because it was held in the Olympic venue in Vancouver. With 4CC being in Asia this year, I expect some 4th place or lower finishers at Nationals may end up competing in Taiwan.

As I've posted elsewhere, I would like to see as many different US skaters as possible compete at Four Continents (Feb. 15-20), Junior Worlds (Feb. 28-March 6 in Korea) and Worlds (March 21-27 in Japan) so as to spread around the opportunities for gaining ISU World Standings ranking points.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  30. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Thank you! It is kind of too bad that Taipei gets a major event but there won't be too much "home" (via US) representation in any of the disciplines... Hopefully it will be a great showcase nonetheless to the country and promote the sport
  31. rhumba

rhumba New Member

I've seen US sent different skaters in Ladies and Men to Worlds and 4CC. However, in Ice Dance, B/A competed and meddled several times at 4CC. Not sure why there was different in that discipline. Was it the decision of USFS or the skater(s) to go to 4CC?
  32. Sylvia

The top U.S. pair and dance teams often elected to compete at Four Continents for the prize money/ranking points/extra comp. before Worlds. The decision is usually left up to the skaters and their coaches.
  33. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Aside from Johnny Weir, the top ladies and men have competed at 4CC as well. There is enough time (about a month) in between 4CC and Worlds that it shouldn't be much of an issue to compete at both, I wouldn't think, even if both competitions are in Asia.
  34. Sonata

Sonata New Member

I am bummed at not being able to attend this event. I have been to Taipei before and I just loved it! I am still scratching my head though as to why Grand Prix Final, 4CC and Worlds are all in Asia this season.
  35. rhumba

rhumba New Member

All of them have done 4CC but I've not seen Cohen or Kwan or Weir competed 4CC 4-5 years in a row like B/A. I think they did the first year when they were rising to the top US podium, then let the upcoming skaters get the opportunity to compete. As Sylvia posted that it should give many skaters as possible to spread around the opportunities for gaining ISU ranking or points. I totally agree with Sylvia's point of view.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  36. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

:bribe: :bribe:
  37. newfsfan

newfsfan New Member

About practice, was told it is not open.
    About picking up tickets, detail info will be post on the offical website, please keep checking. Tickets are free, Taipei is a lot cheaper than Tokyo and food are delicious. Wishing more fans from abroad will consider coming, 4CC is during Chinese New Year time, so there will also be lots activities, and the city will be like christmas time with lots of decorations, it is really beautiful.
    The 2010 Taipei International Flora Expo is also open and is quiet nice. Worth coming a few days early to visit.
    http://beta.2010taipeiexpo.tw/MP_4.html
  38. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Wow!!!!
  39. beebee

beebee Active Member

Thanks for the above link to the Flora Expo newfsfan. Hadn't realized that it will be open thru April--I surely plan to see it when I'm in Taipei for 4CC.
  40. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Chinese New Year falls early February this year, so 4CCs is a little too late to fit in with the official holidays. I was going to come from Beijing, but the timing doesn't suit. :( I'm going to see if I can still come, but with holidays for Chinese New Year already set, it is highly unlikely I will be able to take another break so soon after.