2011 CSOI Reviews/Vids

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by shutterbug, Apr 23, 2011.

1. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

2. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Wheeeeeee! Indeed! :cheer2:

Thanks for posting.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

Did anyone else think that Sasha Cohen was injured, I only saw 2 jumps and one of those was a double Sal

4. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Sasha did only two jumps, no triples at SOI in NJ.

5. shutterbug

6. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

Thanks everyone for review + videos! I can't see the show this year.:(

7. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

There was definitely something off for her. I noticed it too...but I wasn't sure if it was injury or fatigue. She was definitely tentative.

8. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

It's probably good that Sasha didn't try to jump no use seeing her land on her butt like when she was skating as a amateur. :lol:

9. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

Maybe Sasha is a bit tired since she was also in the American Tour beforehand? Who knows. She's a pro at performing so I assume she will get better. :)

Question: How were Shawn Sawyer's programs and his skating?I couldn't afford to go to the show this year so I must ask. I know he is not a headliner or anything and has had jump issues in the past. And I find myself wanting him to just take his competitive programs to show skating since they seem to obviously be head and shoulders above his exhibition skating. While his SOI programs are probably fun, they seem very gimmicky and don't showcase the amazing talent and connecting to the audience that he had in competitive skating.

I appreciate those who posted the videos and reviews on this thread. Thanks a bunch! :)

10. laire

laire Member

Jeff Buttle

Evan Lysacek

I'm also interesred in your opinions on Shawn. Did he skate his Madhatter program as the second number?

11. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Shawn did not do his Mad Hatter program but, at least in Ottawa, before his first program he got a special introduction by Kurt Browning who mentioned his "once in a lifetime" skate at Canadians and the decision he had to make regarding the tour vs Worlds. Kurt said that he was glad that the artist in Shawn won out and he came on the tour.

He skated both programs very well, connecting well with the audience. He also fit in very well in the group numbers.

Sasha skated well and was very well received by the audience. There were two falls in the entire show - both by Jeff Buttle, one in each of his programs.

12. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Not a review, but CSOI relevant? They're doing autograph signings at Sears stores across Canada again this year. Not every city is getting one, but these are the ones I've been able to gather from the Sears Stars on Ice Facebook page. They haven't been very forthcoming about who will be in which city yet,but they did say Kurt will be in Calgary:

* Ottawa: Sat. April 23, 11AM-12PM, Sears in the Rideau Centre (Jeff Buttle, Tanith Belbin, Ben Agosto)
    * Toronto: Thu. April 28, 12-1PM, Sears in the Eaton Centre
    * Calgary: Mon. May 9, 10-10:45AM, Sears in the South Centre (Kurt Browning, TBA)
    * Victoria: Tue. May 10, 11AM-12PM, Sears Department store at 3190 Shelbourne
    * Vancouver: Thu. May 12, 12-1PM, Sears in the Pacific Centre

13. shutterbug

14. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Beautiful. Thanks!

15. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Shawn's first number was a slow, cover version of Britney Spears new song "Hold it Against Me." I thought it was FABULOUS. I always enjoy his show skating. His second was "Working for the Weekend" (see video above.)

He got the special intro in Halifax as well.

16. shutterbug

17. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

Guys, thanks a bunch for all the tidbits on the show. Judging from the videos, it really looks like the show is good this year. Joannie's Burlesque rocks!

Thanks for the tidbit on Shawn's Hold it against me program, skategal. I really wish there was a video on that. I'd love to see it. Questions: What did he wear? Was there any shirt tearing a la last year's Uprising program? I just had to ask. lol.

P.S.: Thanks for adding that Kurt introduced Sawyer in both Ottawa and Halifax, skategal and victorskid. I may be getting ahead of myself here as the future of CSOI and especially Sawyer's participation in it is uncertain, but to me it almost sounded like a symbolic "passing of the torch" to someone that's (hopefully) really starting his pro skating carrer now. Not that I'm implying that Kurt is hanging up his skates anytime soon. I still think he has many more years left in him. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  18. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I love Shawn Sawyer's skating but I don't think he has the public appeal to "take the torch" and be the headliner of the show. Although, every year I go with the thought that it might be the last year for Kurt.

Why no autograph signing in Winnipeg? So frustrating... we are not included every year!

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I hope they keep Shawn on the tour permanently. He's too good for cruise ship skating and stuff like that.

20. shutterbug

21. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I'm surprised that no one has posted the program list yet. Here is the one from Toronto last night.

Act 1

"I Like It" Enrique Iglesias - Cast
    "Hold It againts Me" Sam Tsui - Shawn Sawyer
    "Nobody Knows" Pink - Sasha Cohen
    "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" Daft Punk - Jeffrey Buttle
    "Use Somebody" Kings of Leon - Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto
    "On Golden Pond" Dave Grusin - Buttle, Ina, Lysacek, Sale, Pelletier
    "Steppin' Out of my Mind" Geoffrey Tyler - Kurt Browning
    "True Colors" Cyndi Lauper - Joannie Rochette
    "Wild Horses" The Rolling Stones - Jamie Sale & David Pelletier
    "El Tango de Raxanne" Jose Feliciano - Evan Lysacek
    "Knock, Knock!" Various Artists - Cast

Act 2
    "Who's There?" Various Artists - Cast
    "Love the Way You Lie" Rihanna - Kyoko Ina
    "Party in the Park" Rachel Portman - Browning, Cohen, Pelletier
    "Working for the Weekends" Loverboy - Shawn Sawyer
    "Show Me How You Burlesque" Christina Aguilera - Joannie Rochette
    "Enigma" Edward Elgar - Jeffrey Buttle
    "Mein Herr" Lisa Minnelli - Sasha Cohen
    "The Climb" David Hernandez - Evan Lysacek
    "Flamenco" Vicente Amigo/Rogrigo y Gabriela - Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto
    "Downstream" Supertramp - Kurt Browning
    "Let's Go Crazy" Prince - Jamie Sale & David Pelletier
    "The Best" Tina Turner & Simmy Barnes - Cast

I like the Canadian version better than the US version (I went to the Chicago stop, felt it was my duty to cheer up Mr. Lysacek). The atmosphere in Toronto was cozy and more relaxed. Certainly the audience knew Kurt very well and they were well connected to him. Besides, the kite was obeying Mr. Pelletier nicely for their "Party" number. Todd Eldridge had some troubles with the kite in Chicago. Perhaps they decided to use a smaller one in Canada?

I appreciate Kurt's program more now since I have seen them two times. Needed some exposure to understand them. In Toronto, Mr. G. Tyler came out on his skates and gave a live performance for Kurt. His real voice was as smooth as the recorded version. About others: I got impressed by Jeffrey's "Enigma" a lot, the only classic music piece from the entire show. Its choreography was full of intrigue and freedom. Shawn came out with a small suitcase for his second number and used it as a .... (I will not spoil it!). Joannie was full of energy and looked very healthy. Maybe she can come back to competitions anytime she wants?

In case someone's interested: jump points. If I remember correctly, Joannnie, Evan, and Shawn did clean ones. I believe the rumor Evan is practicing 4T. Sasha didn't fall, but she didn't try many, either. Kyoko fell once on 3T, but I'm glad that she did try it after all. Kurt and Jeff had some small problems here and there. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  22. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Oh thanks so much for this list!! It answered a few questions I had...I always love to compare the U.S. SOI and the Canadian version!

23. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ same here! Is there anyone who can provide a list of the songs/artists used in "Knock, Knock" and "Who's There?"

24. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

25. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

26. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I attended the London show on Sunday afternoon and there was a decent sized crowd. I think the 50% off tickets probably helped, there seemed to be a lot of families with kids up in the higher seats. We sat on ice on the end opposite the skater's entrance to the ice. I really enjoyed the show, and appreciated Kurt's great introduction of Shawn Sawyer (he was the total highlight for me, so happy he was there!) Have to say Tessa & Scott were very much missed, but of course there was polite applause for Tanith & Ben. I hardly recognized Sasha in the opening number with her short, curly hair. She's not one of my favourites but she really did skate well, and I was impressed. I was also totally blown away by Joannie....she could come back to competitive skating anytime. She is really looking great. Another note - it was very nice to see David Pelletier smiling in his second number with Jamie. :) Kurt of course is great as only Kurt can be. I also liked the way they showed all the skaters past and the way Kurt mentioned some of the 'greats' by name. All in all it was an enjoyable show. And they gave out advance ticket order forms for London next year, so that's a positive sign!

27. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

If there are any fans of Kurt's "Steppin' Out" program here, or people who are just interested in the creative process that goes into developing a program like that, I had the opportunity to interview Geoffrey Tyler (the singer in Toronto, and the co-creator/choreographer of the program) recently. He gave me a lot of insights into working with Kurt on everything from developing the concept to shaping the structure to working on the choreography to tweaking the program after seeing how audiences received it. Hope people find it interesting!

Steppin' Out with Geoffrey Tyler

28. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

This is an excellent interview - I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the creative process. :respec:

29. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Just read that Ando and Kozuka will be in Vancouver. Wow! V/M also there - would love to see some of that FD, but probably not going to happen.

May 13 - can't wait.

30. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Wow - that's great news!