2011 Adult Nationals

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by lovepairs, Sep 11, 2010.

1. lovepairs

lovepairs New Member

Hi Stormy,

If the club has already been awarded the bid
    Then why wouldn't it be announced this week? The only reason I can think of is if the club who was awarded it doesn't accept it. If they have accepted it, don't you think we've all waited long enough and it should be announced sooner rather then later?

2. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Whereas I'd love to think that us adult skaters are at the very forefront of USFS's planning, I don't think that's the reality. Yes, we've waited longer than usual. That does not mean there's any sort of problem. And again, you're making a very big leap by thinking the winning club rejected it. You have absolutely nothing to base that on and throwing things out there like that is doing nothing but stirring the pot. There shouldn't even be a pot to stir here!

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The club and/or the USFS might still be pulling together all the information they need for their PR materials, so they can make a full and complete announcement to the press. That sort of stuff can take some time. I have seen what I'd call "product launches" delayed because the press materials are still being pulled together, for very valid reasons, not due to lack of proper preparation, so this is a possibility.

It could be that the club has asked them to wait until a certain date, so they can have a bit of a local splash behind the announcement, to create some press.

It could be that the club asked them to wait, because a certain person that needs to be involved in the announcement is on vacation.

In other words, it could be about six million things. And soon, we'll know!

4. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Count me in on the side that this process takes too long. It is more difficult for adult skaters to schedule time off.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Threads like this one are one reason adult skaters in general are regarded by a lot of the High-Ups as pains-in-the-neck to deal with. No matter what happens, they complain.

The deadline for qualifying competitions for the non-adults was Sept. 1. I suspect that the folks at Headquarters have been a tad busy with that for the last week or two. And like it or not, thenon-adult skaters take priority with USFS.

6. duckshooter

duckshooter New Member

zaphyre14, as a long-time adult skater, I COMPLETELY agree with you. This is so not a battle to be fighting, it's like splitting hairs, especially since USFS has just now made the announcement via Facebook as to the AN 2011 location.

So everyone, relax!

7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

8. duckshooter

duckshooter New Member

I wanted to heighten the suspense.

9. coskater

coskater New Member

10. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

11. manleywoman

But again . . . regardless of the location, if you're planning on going, you would ask for the time off anyway, right? I know many folks make their decisions depending on the location and costs, but if you're planning on asking time off anyway . . .

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I am, even though I can't compete. But it's within travelling distance to watch...

13. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I probably won't be there. :( Oh well. I need to find some local ISI competitions or something.

14. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

But.....ANs is always the 2nd or 3rd week in April. And we've known the dates for weeks now. It's not like the dates are a big surprise every year that vary from month to month. Plus, if you read the bid packages which were out months ago, you knew exactly which two weeks the dates could have been. Yes, it can be harder to schedule time off but if you do a little research, it's easier to plan.

15. skatemommy

Exactly....Won't be going all that way for Gold Solo Dance.

16. pairman2

pairman2 New Member

Stormy
    It's not just about planning when to go. It's also about planning to not go. What if a person can do location x but not z, then they might want to take their very limited vacation time and allocate it elsewhere...at a different time... and must put in for that vacation time well in advance. How this sequence of location selection went down this year was not good. I've heard a significant number of adult skaters (who do not post on threads) voice this opinion.

In my opinion, it's quite glib for someone who's club had a year and a half to prepare for AN, to suggest that everything is just fine that the present club has so much less time to work with. I could also add that no elite competition would be subjected to such a delayed decision process. Imagine the howls if that ever happened. But what the hey, we're just adult skaters and that's what we should expect, right?

Congratulations Salt Lake City.

17. skatemommy

18. GarrAarghHrumph

SLC is a direct flight from many of the major hubs in the US, so that helps. It's also a really cool city to be in, for those interested and who've never been.

19. elphaba

elphaba New Member

It is true that the later than usual announcement date of AN is not ideal. But everything can't be ideal. It is not fair of any of us to assume the what and why of the delay. The delay had nothing to do with "they are only adults" mentality. It happened due to circumstances beyond anyone's control.

It seems the LOC is doing just fine so far. They already have a logo and it looks great.

I'm only sorry that I won't be able to attend. It looks so beautiful there.

20. duckshooter

duckshooter New Member

I second what elphaba said. I've been to many AN's, and this is the only time the announcement of the location was this late in the year. True, the lateness of this year's announcement of the winning AN bid is not ideal, but it is also not typical of the AN selection process. If the PTB wanted to screw over the adult skaters, they'd have announced the AN location this late every year.

21. coskater

coskater New Member

What can be much more upsetting is when the registering goes all wonky like it did a few years ago.

In the end we know 6+ months in advance which is more than enough time, for most, it is in a nice location and being held at a very nice facility.

I'll choose to look on the bright side.;)

22. duckshooter

duckshooter New Member

Absolutely coskater. I know which AN you're referring to, and that was a nightmare. This is nothing compared to that. We have seven months till AN 2011. Imagine having your AN event moved to a different day than you expected, _one_ month before AN and _after_ you've already booked a flight. Uh huh.

I think it's important to choose our battles here. I wouldn't want the adult skating community to lose its bargaining capital over this issue and wind up possibly being in a bad position to fight what I feel are more important battles, like those involving the competition schedule or combining 'singleton' events.

23. manleywoman

Please. If the four clubs that were bidding felt prepared to do it with less notice than 1.5 years, that's their business and I trust their judgement. I've seen clubs do a lot more with a lot less.

24. manleywoman

Exactly.

25. GarrAarghHrumph

SLC and the area around it is absolutely stunning.

26. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

For comparison, the location of Skate America was announced in March, 8 months before the event. We're now 7 months out from AN, so there's not much difference in time. SA has fewer competitors than AN, but when you add in all the team officials from each delegation, plus all USFSA officials and bigwigs, and parent chaperones (optional) you're probably talking about close to the same number of people. And for SA, you've got skaters flying in from other countries. Also consider the logistics of a large arena, the TV and webcasts, other media, and ticket sales to fans (which is on a much grander and more complex sale than ticket sales to AN). The prep for SA is much more complex than it is for AN and there are a number of moving parts in several different countries.

In the past few years, the window between the announcement and the event has gotten shorter for all USFSA events. IIRC, the location for South Atlantic Regionals wasn't announced until this spring, several months after the other Regional locations were announced. This is not something that only affects adult skating.

27. pairman2

pairman2 New Member

28. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Originally Posted by pairman2
    I could also add that no elite competition would be subjected to such a delayed decision process.

Much of the delay is in finding a club willing to host such a competition. Many clubs do not want to host Sectionals, Adult Sectionals, Adult Nationals, etc. Money is tight (can the club afford to take the risk to host it), skating competitions compete against hockey for ice time, finding facilities big enough to handle some competitions (AN recommends 3 sheets of ice, 2 for competition, 1 for practice), has the volunteer base been exhausted by other comps? Etc, etc, etc. These are things that a club considers before bidding to host a US Figure Skating competition.

The larger "elite" comps, as someone called them (Nationals, Skate America) are usually planned several years out, and are pretty much no longer handled by the local clubs, but mainly by US Figure Skating staff with the support of an LOC that today seems to be comprised of several clubs and/or local sporting or visitors associations.

The two are not really comparable.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  29. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I understand the planning process is different. I was addressing the timing of the location announcement in response to Pairman's statement that major kid/elite comps announce locations much more in advance than AN. My point was that is not always the case. It's true that the USFSA staff takes a much larger role in the planning and execution of SA and Nats, and there's no wheel to reinvent each year, but the location does need to be set in order to actually arrange the logistics (transportation, accommodations, practice ice) and sell tickets and recruit sponsors. And it seems that over the past few years, locations have been announced much closer to the comp than in the past - I remember Nats used to be announced at least 3 years in advance and SA was at least a year ahead of time.

30. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

How short our memories have become. The 2000 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS was reassigned from Australia to France in fall 1999, and they pulled it off.

Oy.

I'm really happy it's on the West Coast! Too long have our left coast friends been traveling great distances to attend ANs. I probably won't know for sure if I'm attending until January (my company can stop it with the furloughs, kthxbai) but I really, really want to go. Crossing my fingers!!