2011 Adult Nationals

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by lovepairs, Sep 11, 2010.

1. lovepairs

lovepairs New Member

Where is it?

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Hear the silence echoing? This is the best kept secret in figure skating!

What I hear is that if it wasn't decided by the September meeting (which was last Tuesday?) then we wouldn't know until November.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Where are the sectionals and etc? I think we do know that much, yes?

4. purple skates

Mids is in Dearborn MI. Easterns is in Pittsburgh. Pacifics are in Las Vegas. All are the weekend of February 25-26.

5. GarrAarghHrumph

Oh, shoot. I think Pitts is 9 hours from where I live. I was thinking maybe this year...

6. lovepairs

lovepairs New Member

Find all your news for Adult Sectionals here:
    http://www.adultpairskating.com/page3/page3.html

Since it's 5 month out from the traditional announcement time, I'm just guessing that their in crisis mode. Whomever gets it, if anyone at all, will have very little preparation time. I can't imagine any home club that would want to put themselves into that kind of crunch time at this point.

I think it's safe to say that if the AN place is not decided until November, that AN as it's been known is fundamentally changed, if it happens at all

How about this instead of AN: "Basic Skills," Junior Skaters, and, of course, the Elites all have Grand Prixs, so why not the Adults! More to come...:encore:

7. GarrAarghHrumph

Nice link! Thanks.

8. icerinque

icerinque New Member

The reason AN has not yet been announced is that there were four bids. If the first choice was not able to meet the requirements for the event, the next bid is contacted and so on. The board of directors must approve the location before it can be announced. If the first choice misses the deadline for the meeting, the approval must wait until the next meeting. The last meeting was on Sept. 7. The announcement should be made very soon. No one is in crisis mode, and nothing fundamental has changed for AN. Thank you for your patience.

9. purple skates

Did they decide at the Sept meeting? I understood (and I could certainly be wrong) that there was no October meeting so the next chance for approval was November.

10. lovepairs

lovepairs New Member

Well if no one is in crisis mode, it doesn't change the fact that this is well after the traditional announcement date of May and that a November decision date leaves a club with only 5 months to prepare, 7 months less to prepare then any prior host! I suspect the club would be in panic mode if they are chosen, even if the decision makers are not.

Just in the event that AN doesn't happen it might be, indeed, be very interesting to consider putting together a Grand Prix for the Adults. Just read this link below and substitute "adult skater" where ever it says "beginning skater," and see what you think:

http://www.usfigureg/Programs.asp?i...and end all of our entire experience. :watch:

11. lovepairs

lovepairs New Member

Well if no one is in crisis mode, it doesn't change the fact that this is well after the traditional announcement date of May and that a November decision date leaves a club with only 5 months to prepare, 7 months less to prepare then any prior host! I suspect the club would be in panic mode if they are chosen, even if the decision makers are not.

Just in the event that AN doesn't happen it might be, indeed, be very interesting to consider putting together a Grand Prix for the Adults. Just go to www.usfigureskating.org and select Programs, then Basic Skills, and read Competition Series. Substitute "adult skater" where ever it says "beginning skater," and see what you think.

Even if by some miracle AN did take place this year, a Grand Prix for Adults might take some pressure off AN being the be all and end all of our entire experience. :watch:

12. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Relax. Assuming a club is in crisis mode for ANs is a big leap. Why always assume the worst? And why wouldnt AN happen? 4 clubs bid on it, so clearly there's interest in holding in.

I don't think as Adult skaters a Grand Prix is really realistic, although it's an interesting idea. Basic Skills competitions are plentiful, there could be several in a season in one state alone. Adult competitions aren't like that and they're all over the country. I know I wouldn't have the time off or money to go traveling to every single Adult competition. I might go to two out of state ones before Sectionals in a good season. I can't recall any Adult skater who would hit every single Adult competition. This would make it hard to consistently accrue points in a Grand Prix type of competition. Plus, ANs really is our end all. It's the one competition the majority of us go to, and it's the end of the season. It's what works.

It is an interesting idea, though. I wonder how it could be re-worked to apply to Adult skating....

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I hope it comes back to New England at some point. I would enter just for a lark, given that my Silver is not terribly competitive.

14. icerinque

icerinque New Member

Dramatics are unnecessary. AN will happen as scheduled, no miracles needed. Just because it has not been announced doesn't not mean there is any crisis or panic going on. Except for everyone who has not yet been informed. It will very likely be announced next week. As I said, there were four bids, and the club that is being awarded the bid already knows. Please be patient.

15. coskater

coskater New Member

AN's is NOT usually announced in May, it is announced when the board of directors have voted on it. Most clubs who do bid on the event are clubs that have experience with larger competitions. A club would not bid on the event if they did not think they could pull it together. To assume anyone is in panic mode is not correct. Lovepairs is stating only her opinion, she sits on NO US figure skating committees and has no insight greater than any other person. Until there are a set of guidelines for (skill) levels across the ISU for adult skaters you will not have a "grand prix" type event. WASA has no affiliation with the ISU or US figure skating.

With regards to basic skills being the basic premise behind a grand prix what do you do with skaters who are above FS 6. At dance it stops with the fiesta tango so pre bronze dance, so you leave out all skaters who are bronze and above. The pairs level is that of silver and below so the number of skaters being left out is sizable. So while Basic skills an an excellent way to move through the levels it is the precursor to being a "competitive" skater. When you are done with the levels you move onto the "standard track" if you are a youngster or an adult, and if you are an adult you can opt to skate on the adult track or the masters track. Changes have been made to the moves Int-Sr with an adult standard and a masters passing average. So adult skaters can continue on through the higher level moves tests.

So why do we need an adult grand prix?

16. purple skates

So they did decide at the September meeting. That's good to know.

17. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Exactly. Thank you.

18. manleywoman

To be fair though, until recent years we have always known well in advance where the next year's event would be. Chicago knew 1.5 years ahead of time. We even had time to buy ad space in the 2006 Dallas ANs program for the 2007 Chicago ANs. And if you look at previous programs, the same things happened . . .

. . . and yes, agreed. Even though we don't know as long in advance as we have in the past, I personally am not worried that any of the four locations in question can pull it off.

19. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I'm not worried either. Even with the semi-fail that was Bloomington, we the skaters made it as awesome as we could while we were there. As the :kickass: icerinque said, everything's under control. :respec:

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I understand the worry, but I want to point out that one year not too recently the location for Adult Nationals in Canada was announced in January when the event was in early April.

You adult skaters in the US have it pretty darn good most of the time. We are jealous :)

21. lovepairs

lovepairs New Member

The fact that multiple 'deadlines' came and went and that quite a few wondered about the dramatic void of information wasn't exactly stirring up the pot. Pointing this out did seem to coax the information out into the general domain here that the selection has indeed been made, and we'll all look forward to seeing the location posted next week. Mission accomplished.

As far as the Grand Prix concept is concerned, some skaters compete in one, two, or three local competitions warming up to AN, anyway. The competitions are already in place so they don't need to be created. All we need is to assign point values to the competitors results, just as it's laid out in the Basic Skills competition series and viola, we have an Adult Grand Prix and something else that's fun to do. Plus it will attract more adults to local competitions which is a win win for everyone. It does create an organized and fun way to make a full season.

22. coskater

coskater New Member

They tried this with Juv-Nov level skaters in Colorado, they couldn't be skaters who had advanced past regionals, the competitions had to sign up to be a part of it and the skaters got point and could win prizes, etc. The idea was to encourage more participation in local events. It lasted about 2 years... It is very difficult to keep track of and you have to have a lot of consistency in events then there were the ties and several other issues. It seemed like a good idea but it faded away...

23. icerinque

icerinque New Member

24. lovepairs

lovepairs New Member

You're totally missing the point. The news that you left in a previous post that a club, indeed, has already been selected for AN was new news to all of us. What the skaters/members don't appreciate is being left in the dark for so long. Unless this thread was launched, we still wouldn't have known that a club was already selected. Anyway, I'm confident now that you will get on next week and let us all know where AN is going to be.

25. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

We knew the dates of ANs when Sectionals was announced, which was weeks ago. I don't see how that's keeping us in the dark. We knew that it was happening and when it was happening. You act like USFS is keeping this a big secret to piss us all off, which can't be further from the truth.

26. manleywoman

So . . . you still don't know where it's going to be. Just that it's going to be. That's no different than what you knew last week. But pat yourself on the back if you need to.

I'm going regardless, no matter where it is, so the location is irrelevant in the end. We all tend to spend our time in the rink anyway! :lol:

27. purple skates

The location is very important to me, so I am anxiously awaiting the news - especially since I can't go to Sectionals this year.

28. Terri C

Terri C New Member

It's also important to a lot of other folks, so we can determine how much airfare will be and how much travel time to plan on. Some may need more time if they are traveling from a long distance and changing time zones.

29. lovepairs

lovepairs New Member

Yes, the main concern is not the dates, but rather location. As mentioned above there are many skaters who need to budget in advance for this, especially in this economy, and would like to know the location, airfare, whether the location will fit in with other family vacation plans ect...

Anyway, it's a non issue now, since we've been already told that a club has already been awarded AN, and the location will be posted this week:

30. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

She said it will VERY LIKELY be posted this week....not ABSOLUTELY WILL be posted. I just want to make sure that's pointed out just in case for whatever reason it can't be announced this week.