2011-12 U.S. team envelopes & published criteria

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

As an exercise, I've applied all the relevant criteria through 2011 U.S. Nationals and published an UNOFFICIAL list-in-progress of projected A-C funding envelopes in my blog: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/projected-2011-12-u-s-team-envelopes-so-far/

Link to the 2011-12 Team Envelope Criteria as published on the USFS site: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

An official, finalized version should be published online by U.S. Figure Skating around or before their annual Governing Council meeting at the end of April 2011. The team envelopes are designated specifically for funding purposes and do not determine the types or number of international assignments a skater or team might receive.

To be published online separately by U.S. Figure Skating sometime in the Spring of 2011 will be the International Selection Pool (ISP). It will include all Team A, B and C age-eligible athletes and any other athletes being considered for an international competition in the 2011-12 season.

Condensed version as of 2/6/10:

* = eligible for a higher envelope level or tier depending on results of 2011 Four Continents, Junior Worlds & Worlds

Team A – Tier 2
    *Alissa Czisny, *Ryan Bradley, *Caitlin Yankowskas/John Coughlin, *Meryl Davis/Charlie White.

Team B – Tier 1
    *Rachael Flatt, *Mirai Nagasu, Agnes Zawadzki;
    *Richard Dornbush, *Ross Miner, *Jeremy Abbott;
    *Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig, *Caydee Denney/Jeremy Barrett, Mary Beth Marley/Rockne Brubaker;
    *Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani, *Madison Chock/Greg Zuerlein, Madison Hubbell/Keiffer Hubbell.

Team B – Tier 2
    *Christina Gao, Ashley Wagner, *Courtney Hicks;
    *Adam Rippon, *Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Brandon Mroz, *Max Aaron;
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir, *Ashley Cain/Joshua Reagan;
    Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, *Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely.

Team C – Tier 1
    Vanessa Lam, Yasmin Siraj, Kristiene Gong, Lauren Dinh, Katarina Kulgeyko;

*Keegan Messing, Joshua Farris, Alexander Zahradnicek, Alexander Aiken;

Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin, Lindsay Davis/Themistocles Leftheris, Andrea Poapst/Christopher Knierim, *Cassie Andrews/Timothy LeDuc;

Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates (see last item in NOTES below), Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello, Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan, *Lauri Bonacorsi/Travis Mager, *Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus.

Team C – Tier 2
    Melissa Bulanhagui, Kiri Baga, McKinzie Daniels, Mary Beth Marley, Hannah Miller, Barbie Long, Mariah Bell;

Douglas Razzano, *Jason Brown, Steven Evans, Emmanuel Savary, Nathan Chen, Jordan Moeller, Nix Phengsy;

Molly Aaron/Daniyel Cohen, Brynn Carman/AJ Reiss, Mandy Garza/Brandon Frazier, Max Aaron/Max Settlage, Chelsea Liu/Devin Perini, Audrey Goldberg/Joseph Dolkiewicz;

Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan, Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton, Rachel Parsons/Michael Parsons, Jessica Mancini/Tyler Brooks, Kaitlin Hawayek/Michael Bramante.

NOTES
    Could move up to A-1 if:
    Place top 10 at Worlds: Czisny, Bradley, Yankowskas/Coughlin, Davis/White;
    Place 1st-3rd at Worlds: Flatt; Dornbush, Miner; Evora/Ladwig; Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Zuerlein.

Could move up to A-2 if:
    Place 4th-10th at Worlds: Flatt; Dornbush, Miner; Evora/Ladwig; Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Zuerlein;
    Place 1st at 4 Continents: Abbott, Rippon, Mahbanoozadeh; Flatt, Nagasu; Evora/Ladwig, Denney/Barrett; Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Zuerlein.

Could move up to B-1 if:
    Place 2nd-3rd at 4 Continents: Rippon, Mahbanoozadeh
    Place 1st at Jr. Worlds: Gao, Hicks; Messing, Brown, Aaron; Cain/Reagan, Andrews/LeDuc; Lichtman/Copley, Bonacorsi/Mager, Cannuscio/McManus.

Could move up to B-2 if:
    Place 2nd-3rd at Jr. Worlds: Messing, Brown; Andrews/LeDuc; Lichtman/Copley, Bonacorsi/Mager, Cannuscio/McManus.

Could move up to C-1 if:
    Place 4th or lower at Jr. Worlds: Brown.

Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates fulfill the following criterion listed under "Additional Considerations":
    Athletes that were in the Team A Envelope the previous year and plan on continuing to compete will automatically be placed in Team C - Tier 1 if they do not meet the criteria for Team A or Team B.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Sylvia

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  3. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

If Lysacek returns to competition in 2011, he could be placed in Team A or Team B at the discretion of U.S. Figure Skating since he was the 2009 World Champion. Moreover, if he was not placed in Team A or B at the discretion of U.S. Figure skating, he would be placed in Team C- Tier 1 since he was in the Team A envelope for 2010-11.

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

5. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Madison and Keiffer Hubbell are still on the ISP list.

6. Sylvia

I count 20 JGP age-eligible ladies in the ISP: 2011-2012 US JGP Assignment Predictions/Discussion

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Johnny wasn't on the list, if Johnny and/or another skater who took time off decide to resume competitive skating, where would they be placed?

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I had the same question, upon seeing Evan's what if posted there, I really don't think Johnny is coming back, but what if?

9. Sylvia

Are you asking about the 2011-12 ISP list? The 2011-12 team envelopes have not been announced/published yet.

ETA a reply to Lacey: If Johnny is serious about competing next season, then his name could still be added to the ISP, I would imagine.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  10. Sylvia

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Thanks for the update. With the split teams removed, does that mean that the A and B-1s have more money available? Is it x dollars per skater/team, or is it a % of the team funding at each level?

12. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I don't believe the amount of money varies with the number of skaters/teams. It's a set amount for each envelope level.

13. Sylvia

14. icellist

icellist Member

i really think they should add 4CC medalist for Team A - Tier 2. Its not really fair to Mirai or Jeremy in my opinion. Then change this during an Oly year because not everyone goes to 4CCs.

15. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

ITA. 4CC has been a lot more competitive in the last few years than it was previously.

16. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

17. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

18. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Congrats to Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton, Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff, Joylyn Yang & Jean-Luc Baker all made the C team.

Probably due to this criteria "Consideration to place the athletes in Team C - Tier 1 will be given for senior level skaters placing lower at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships where the event was very strong or the results were very close.

Consideration to place the athletes in Team C - Tier 2 will be given for junior-level skaters placing lower at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships where the event was very strong or the results were very close."

19. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Happy to see Emily and Evan get some funding (Team C) thanks to these provisions:
    They were originally Team A - Tier 2 for 2010-11.

20. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, so what happens to the money if, say, Chock/Zuerlin have really split?

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

22. just wondering

just wondering Member

Does USFS publish the monetary awards that go with each envelop? Just curious what those numbers might be.

23. sk8mom1970

sk8mom1970 New Member

I am a little dissappointed that there are teams who have the guts to break up prior to announcing funding, but still go on to pair with another and receive nothing, while teams that are clearly broken up and trying out with others (Carman/Reiss) receive funding. It is know wonder why teams drop out and cannot afford this sport! Sorry, but this just makes me ill.

24. Conga

Conga New Member

Huh?

25. Sylvia

Teams that meet one or more of the published criteria but haven't officially notified USFS of their split (ditto for singles skaters who are retiring or not competing in the coming season) will be listed initially in an envelope -- this has happened regularly in the past. If and when skaters are removed from the envelope(s), I believe the money isn't redistributed to other envelope skaters (I don't know where it goes). Funding doesn't begin until the fall, IIRC.

It's good to see the "Other Considerations" criteria being used for teams like Donlan/Speroff, Duarte/Grafton, and Yang/Baker. The latter two teams have been together since the Juvenile level.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  26. sk8mom1970

sk8mom1970 New Member

I am glad that funding doesn't happen until later. I realize things change, but when it is public knowledge ( I know, not official) then they shouldn't be considered.

27. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yes... I would guess the fact that some higher ranked skaters split/retired made it easier to decide to fund additional skaters that hadn't been guaranteed any money.

I can't see giving a brand new team immediate funding before they've even competed. Funding is based on what a pair does collectively, and D/B obviously haven't done anything yet.

Carman/Reiss won't get any funding. I don't think Ryan Bradley would have retired already if it was that easy to pull a fast one on USFS and receive funding during the summer with no intentions to compete next season. USFS would be crazy to start funding before the fall (when it's more "confirmed" who will be competing).

28. Sylvia

29. morqet

morqet Active Member

Is Evan eligible to recieve any funding now he is planning on competing next season?

30. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

IMO, regardless of whether or not he's eligible, which I believe he is not, the last thing he needs/should take is funding from USFSA