2011/12 TV Season - New Shows (The Dramas Thread)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 23, 2011.

?

Which New Show Are You Looking Forward To Seeing? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Ringer

28 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. The Secret Circle

17 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Unforgettable

9 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Revenge

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  5. Charlie's Angels

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Person of Interest

24 vote(s)
    29.3%
  7. Prime Suspect

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  8. A Gifted Man

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Terra Nova

20 vote(s)
    24.4%
  10. Hart of Dixie

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  11. Grimm

25 vote(s)
    30.5%
  12. Once Upon A Time

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Thought I'd mention that BBC America is having something they call Dramaville on Wednesday nights. They're showing an original series called "Hour," about a 50's TV news program for the first few weeks. Tonight will be the 5th episode. I've recorded them but haven't had a chance to watch yet. When that ends, they'll show "Luther," a four-part detective thriller, that I have already seen but plan to watch again. It's terrific. Then they'll show "State of Play," which I'm looking forward to. Those last two shows are repeats. And there are new Inspector Lewis episodes on PBS for the next two or three weeks. New in the U.S. anyway.

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

what? she was TOTALLY driving that boat in the hamptons

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've been watching The Hour. It's pretty interesting. Sometimes the storyline gets a little simplistic ("Government BAD! Journalists GOOD! Period, that's it, the end!"), but that's nothing we haven't all seen a thousand times. :) And if you can overlook that, there are a lot of intriguing subplots and characters. Plus some really good acting.

I also like Inspector Lewis, even though I always seem to end up being busy while it's on and having only half my attention to spare!

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

State of Play was very good, though it's a show you have to pay close attention to. Not a show I can watch while sorting papers or doing other things.

Luther was fabulous. If they don't bring it back for a second season (especially after ending on somewhat of a cliffhanger), I'll be very mad!

And I love Inspector Lewis. This is a series that keeps getting better and better -- particularly the relationship bw Lewis and Hathaway.

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Is it a sin to say I like "Inspector Lewis" more than Morse? I think that and "Sherlock" are the best mysteries anywhere these days. I miss "Foyle's War."

I also look forward to Wednesday nights with BBC America. First "Law and Order" but the highlight is the next hour and though I thought "The Hour" had a slow start I am hooked now. I will also be watching those dramas that follow once "The Hour" concludes.

6. Wyliefan

I don't know . . . is it a sin to say I've never seen Morse? :eek: My best friend got me watching Lewis recently, and I didn't even know it was a spinoff at first!

Sherlock is really good. And so many people have told me to watch Foyle's War that I've added it to my Netflix queue!

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I saw Ringer and really liked it. But at the beginning I kept wondering why Buffy didn't stake the bad guys :lol:

8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Well sin or no we are not the only Lewis fans! In the Morse series Mrs. Lewis was still alive and well and he was a fairly easy going guy. Morse was the grouch. And now...well poor Lewis although he and Hathaway make a great team. One of the things that bugged me about Morse was that he seemed to be falling for a new woman every other week (which may have been in the Morse books--I've never read them.) Poor Laura seems to be waiting on Lewis but the show is more concerned about the mystery at hand. I love the soundtrack too.

I don't know what the term I'm looking for here but the quality of the filiming of "Sherlock"---London just looks so vibrant and lush on my television. The quality of the picture is better than any tv show I watch but I don't know the terminology for the look of it. And of course the scripts, acting, the way we "see" Sherlock's thoughts...so clever.

Why is it British mysteries are so damned good?

9. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I actually checked out Ringer last night and thought it had potential. I like the premise and the mystery of it and I also love me some Nestor Carbonell so I'll probably watch it again. We'll see how it goes but so far so good. :)

10. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

And why must my husband repeatedly mock my addiction to them? :drama:

Love Sherlock, Morse, Lewis and Foyle.

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol: A similar thought went through my head. When I saw that she was alone in this scary building...and then a big guy all in black appeared, I thought, "you cannot win, dude!"
    And I was right!!
    :D

12. Wyliefan

I like that he's taking it very slowly. Even though I never saw his wife myself, I can't bear shows where someone loses a spouse one day and hits the dating scene the next. It feels so fake and disrespectful and wrong.

13. Artemis@BC

I agree but ... it has been several years by now.

Robbie & Val were one of the few successful, long-term marriages we've seen in the police force. It's a cliché but true that the divorce rate is very, very high among the police. Robbie & Laura would make a good match, though, because she has the same ridiculous hours and of course deals with the same kind of darkness in her job.

14. Artemis@BC

Meanwhile I watched episode one of Camelot, which just started airing on CBC. I thought it was ... okay. I love Joseph Fiennes as Merlin (heck, I'd love Joseph Fiennes reading the phone book), and Bower has the right mix of innocence and determination for a young Arthur. I could have done without the gratuitous sex scenes -- I think there were 4 or possibly 5 in the first episode alone -- but it wasn't enough to put me off everything else. And I love the look of the ruined Camelot castle.

So, good enough to have me tune in again next week at least. And about a million times better than the last version of the legend that made it on to TV. (That would be Merlin. Awful, awful, dreadful, and laughably bad.)

15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm trying to watch that and I agree with you about Fiennes as Merlin but the actors playing Arthur and Guinevere just look like they came in off of the surf in Malibu. That might not be fair to them but I can't get past this.

16. Artemis@BC

Perhaps that's why they filmed their dream sex sequence on the beach? :D

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I forgot that---I wonder if that is where the idea started.

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The Secret Circle--pretty good. I like that each character has a history that will likely be unveiled over the course of the series. The acting quality is uneven and the diversity is sorely lacking, but I have high hopes. I also love seeing shots of my hometown. Steveston is one of my fave neighbourhoods in Vancouver!

The Vampire Diaries, meanwhile, continues to rock my world. OMG, Matt and Jeremy are so hawt! And poor Andie!

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

CW is re-airing the pilots for Ringer (8:00) and The Secret Circle (9:00) tonight for anyone who missed them. :)

I liked it, but I didn't love it. It has potential, let's see if they start to kick things into a higher gear in time. I like how Faye just came out and said, "let's cut to he chase...you're a witch". In the past, shows have let an important plot point go on forever until finally a big reveal. I like how a character does what we think, and just get it over with!! :D

It looks like one of the group of six might be 1/4 non-Caucasian... :p And I was admiring the old homes used in the show and didn't notice that Vancouver is where this one is being shot! (Oops...)

Have it recorded, will watch it today. Good to know the show is still rockin'! :hat1:

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Not sure about Revenge. Sounds like a good movie or mini series but a prolonged tv series? I have my doubts but will try and catch the first couple of episodes. But Grimm looks GOOOOOOD!!!! I can hardly wait! Why could it be starting next week instead of the rest of those shows?! LOL

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  21. Artemis@BC

I watched the first 10 or 15 minutes of Secret Circle. I didn't dislike it, just decided I was waaay too old for it. :p

I wish they hadn't axed Eastwick from a couple of years back. Similar idea, for grownups. Of course, that one was worth watching just for Paul Gross. :swoon:

22. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I enjoyed Ringer and Secret Circle, and I'm 49. :lol:

I really miss "Eastwick" also. I was waiting years for it to become a series. I want Anne Rice's "The Witching Hour" to become a series also, but maybe on HBO or Showtime.

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I must have missed "Eastwick." I like Paul Gross and loved his character in "Slings and Arrows."

24. Artemis@BC

I really liked Eastwick, it had a quirky Picket-Fences-esque feel to it.

Slings and Arrows, oth, is in another world altogether -- one of my favourite series ever.

If you like Paul Gross, try to find Gunless. It's a Canadian Western. Hilarious.

25. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I swore after the way Hellcats ended (plus the ruining of Life Unexpected) that I was done with watching any CW shows. :blah:

I'll have to check out Pan Am :eek: only because there was reportedly filming just blocks from where I used to live in Bay Ridge Brooklyn.

26. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

My first drooling - er, I mean sighting of Paul Gross was in the Canadian TV movie "Getting Married In Buffalo Jump" co-starring Wendy Crewson. Not that it would have mattered but it was even a good story.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'll look for the Gross movies--I did see one about (of all things) curling. I thought I would be bored but really enjoyed it.

28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Shows that are debuting (in bold) and returning (not in bold) this week:

Monday, September 19

10:00 Castle (ABC)
    10:00 Hawaii Five-0 (CBS)
    10:00 The Playboy Club (NBC)

Tuesday, September 20

8:00 NCIS (CBS)
    9:00 NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)
    10:00 Body of Proof (ABC)
    10:00 Unforgettable (CBS)

Wednesday, September 21

9:00 Criminal Minds (CBS)
    9:00 Harry’s Law (NBC)
    10:00 CSI (CBS)
    10:00 Law & Order: SVU (NBC)
    10:00 Revenge (ABC)

Thursday, September 22

8:00 Charlie’s Angels (ABC)
    9:00 Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
    9:00 Person of Interest (CBS)
    10:00 The Mentalist (CBS)
    10:00 Prime Suspect (NBC)

Friday, September 23

8:00 A Gifted Man (CBS)
    8:00 Nikita (CW)
    9:00 CSI:NY (CBS)
    9:00 Fringe (FOX)
    9:00 Supernatural (CW)
    10:00 Blue Bloods (CBS)

Sunday, September 25

9:00 Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
    9:00 Desperate Housewives (ABC)
    9:00 The Good Wife (CBS)
    10:00 CSI: Miami (CBS)
    10:00 Pan Am (ABC)

sk8sue and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm curious about the Playboy Club. I'm not expecting it to be good, but I like Laura Benanti very much, so I'm at least going to give the first episode tomorrow night a shot.

I'm also going to check out Revenge. You can download the script for free on Amazon.com. I wasn't that impressed with the script, but I'm thinking about checking it out anyway.

30. Wyliefan

I like her too, but the show sounds flat-out stupid to me. Not going to bother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.