2011/12 TV Season - New Shows (The Dramas Thread)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 23, 2011.

?

Which New Show Are You Looking Forward To Seeing? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Ringer

28 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. The Secret Circle

17 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Unforgettable

9 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Revenge

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  5. Charlie's Angels

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Person of Interest

24 vote(s)
    29.3%
  7. Prime Suspect

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  8. A Gifted Man

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Terra Nova

20 vote(s)
    24.4%
  10. Hart of Dixie

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  11. Grimm

25 vote(s)
    30.5%
  12. Once Upon A Time

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm not happy. There's too many good shows happening this year! (Well, that's if they end up being as good as the trailers!)

Here's links to the 14 new dramas the five major networks have created for us. If you'd like a list of new shows on other networks, plus the debut dates for returning TV shows, this is a great list.

Tuesday, September 13
    9:00 Ringer (CW, drama with Sarah Michelle Geller) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SCaB09ER9I

Thursday, September 15
    9:00 The Secret Circle (CW supernatural trailer with Gale Harold) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWK0vfwYhqA

Monday, September 19
    10:00 The Playboy Club (NBC drama with Eddie Cibrian and Amber Heard) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4CnGy4eK4M

Tuesday, September 20
    10:00 Unforgettable (CBS crime drama with Dylan Walsh) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fgP62b1xQ

Wednesday, September 21
    10:00 Revenge (ABC drama with Emily VanCamp and Madeleine Stowe) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8XBXjGuHp4

Thursday, September 22
    8:00 Charlie’s Angels (ABC crime drama with Rachael Taylor) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2P_jP76qqI
    9:00 Person of Interest (CBS drama with Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDzwkj3VO8g
    10:00 Prime Suspect (NBC police drama with Maria Bello, Aidan Quinn and Kirk Acevedo) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUOUrWxIWbs

Friday, September 23
    8:00 A Gifted Man (CBS drama with Patrick Wilson and Julie Benz) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZvbfE3M50A

Sunday, September 25
    10:00 Pan Am (ABC drama with Christina Ricci) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DHbcem_uc

Monday, September 26
    8:00 Terra Nova (FOX sci-fi drama with Jason O'Mara) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6aNEIZwPFc
    9:00 Hart of Dixie (CW medical drama with Rachel Bilson) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qg0fqBGGg8

Friday, October 21
    9:00 Grimm (NBC fantasy/mystery/crime drama series) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3rFsv_WSE

Sunday, October 23
    8:00 Once Upon a Time (ABC fantasy drama from the creators of Lost) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDDwx1Njn0

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

On the other thread, I was interested in one show (whatever sitcom that will air before Modern Family, just so I can use that show as background noise while cooking dinner, when I can then concentrate more fully on Modern Family and Happy Endings/Cougartown).

However, I am going to give virtually everything on the above list at least one viewing. The only one I have no interest in is Unforgettable.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Even the Playboy Club and Pan Am? I didn't like either of the trailers, so it was easy to exclude them from the poll. :D

...remind me what that one is about again? ;)

4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I was waiting until everyone voiced their opinions about which shows interested them...and then everyone boycotted this thread! :drama: (And that was before I attacked the beloved American icon, Billie Joe Armstrong... :drama: :drama:)

So here's my thoughts, not like anyone cares.... :(

On My "Can’t Wait!" List (in alphabetical order because my interest is not extremely high for some and moderate for others):

A Gifted Man - Love the cast, love the idea, but I’m unsure how an ongoing series could be sustained with this premise…

Grimm - After watching the trailer for the second time, I saw that the producers of Buffy and Angel are behind this one. I’m in!!

Hart of Dixie - This one could have potential, or fall apart quickly. But the lead character is going to need to do some major personality improvements if I’m going to stick with it.

Once Upon a Time - From the creators of Lost, so again, I’m in!! But can both Grimm and this one hit it out of the park?

Revenge - Good trailer, but in little time it might seem like they are dragging out the “revenge” story line. Unless at season end, the revenge the lead characters gets will make another character go about getting their revenge! Sounds interesting on one hand while depressing on the other…

Ringer - Anything with Sarah Michelle Gellar is worth a look…but is the premise one that can make for a long-running series?

The Secret Circle - This one could be a surprise...I’m hopeful! (Don’t let the horrible narrator scare you off this trailer!)

Terra Nova - LOVE the premise - and love Jason O’Mara. I’ve got high hopes for this one, but I’m afraid stock characters, and obvious plots could dash my hopes to smithereens!

My "Maybe…..." List

Charlie’s Angels - I think it’s going to be tough to make this work…but did people think the first version would break out like it did?

Pan Am - I had this in the “definite pass” pile, but decided to give the first episode a chance, but only because of Christina Ricci…

Prime Suspect - A crime drama on television? FINALLY!

A Definite Pass

Person of Interest - Looks very dark and depressing. So I’m going to miss out on Michael Emerson! :(

The Playboy Club - …just didn’t grab my attention. Even with Eddie Cibrian’s hotness present. Maybe if nothing else interesting is on when this debuts, I’ll give episode one a shot.

Unforgettable - Doesn’t look like a bad show…just not my thing.

5. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

(((( Peter, who needs to channel some Glenn Close who will "NOT be Ignored" ))))

Once Upon a Time looks like my kind of show. It's just one of a good number of these new dramas that seem to hold promise.

Unlike the "comedies" [quotations for intent], of which I've seen previews for about five ... and all of which seem :scream:

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I loved the British version of Prime Suspect. I know this one will be quite different, but I'll watch. Terra Nova for sure (lurve me some dinosaurs). I'll give any mystery a shot.

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I hope Revenge is good, I love murders. (on tv)

8. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Person of Interest needs to move fast because I want to check that one out but I'm not giving up Grey's Anatomy for it, even if I do love me some Michael Emerson. :p

I'm most interested in Terra Nova (add me to the fangirl list for Jason O'Mara) but I'll also check out Charlie's Angels (may be good fluff show to lead up to my Shondaland shows) and Once Upon a Time. Prime Suspect is this year's annual show for me that is so over promoted by the network that I refuse to watch it no matter what because it's annoyed the ever loving frack out of me. :yikes: :shuffle"

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm glad you clarified.... :scream:

10. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I'll watch all at least 3 weeks, then I'll chose :)

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

With my crazy hours not sure how many of these I will be able to catch but Terra Nova is one I am very interested in. I am also willing to give Charlie Angels a try.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wasn't there already a thread about this? I remember posting that, even though I hate the CW, I wanted to check out Ringer solely because of Ioan Gruffudd.

13. znachki

znachki Active Member

Ringer, Person of Interest, and Grimm for me. Mostly Grimm, since David Greenwalt is the EP. Loved the other stuff he's done (X-Files, Angel, Buffy, Miracles, Profit and etc.), so how could I not?

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can get into any of these. Once Upon a Time looked dreadful to me, just plain silly. The trailer could have been very misleading or maybe I was in a bad mood. :lol: The one that looks interesting, if any, is A Gifted Man. I guess it is a Ghost Whisperer with a male lead but I love Patrick Wilson. Terra Nova seems fun but a little too sci-fi for my tastes. I can get into those, I did with Lost, but they have to pull me in so I will give it a shot.

ETA: I watched the Grimm preview and that does look good but holy moly, they showed an entire episode in those 3 minutes. I don't want to watch that one, I know EVERYTHING. I hope to god that was a preview of one episode and not the entire story arc for the season because we saw it all.

The Secret Circle doesn't look half bad either. I think I am just getting a little too old to watch shows with a bunch of teenagers running around doing magic. :shuffle:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I like the idea of returning to or updating the stories/ fairy tales that existed before the Victorians sanitized them so "Grimm" and "Once Upon a Time" are on my Can't Wait list too.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have been waiting for this to happen for years now. I thought we would see more of this with the popularity of Wicked on Broadway.

17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Me too -- though more on the "I'll tune into the first episode(s) to see how they are" list than "can't wait." There's really nothing "can't wait" for me. Though the other one I'm most intereted in is PanAm for a guilty pleasure / braincandy fix. Plus Christina Ricci. And the editor of the local tv magazine gave it an A-, and his pics have fit pretty well with my tastes in the past.

18. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

New and returning shows debuting this week (new shows in bold):

Tuesday, September 13

8:00 90210 (CW)
    9:00 Ringer (CW)
    10:00 Parenthood (NBC)

Thursday, September 15

8:00 The Vampire Diaries (CW)
    9:00 The Secret Circle (CW)

19. rfisher

Sons of Anarchy started last week on FX. It is an amazingly well written and acted show. Katie Segal is fantastic. It's violent (Sopranos on Harleys), but is very good.

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Are the guys :grope:?

;)

21. rfisher

Some of them. Charlie Hunnam most certainly is. And he gets naked quite a lot. :smokin: Not that that's the primary reason I watch of course. :saint:

22. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Ringer starts tonight!! :cheer2:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I watched a little bit of the CW season preview show last night (during commercial breaks of Bachelor Pad). The scenes from Ringer look really good, very deep and involving. Ringer co-stars Kristoffer Polaha (who I've had a crush on for a while now) as well as Nestor Carbonell (Lost, Suddenly Susan, The Dark Knight) and Ioan Gruffudd (Fantastic 4, W., Hornblower).

Can't wait! :cheer2: :cheer:

24. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Ringer got a great review B+ from Mark A. Perigard who is the TV critic for our local rag. He is usually a very nit picky type of critic (hates everything) but not this time. I was going to watch Ringer even before reading his review. I loved Gellar in "Buffy" and looking forward to Ringer.

25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wow, that was awful. I'd forgotten just how craptastic CW shows can be.

Sorry, Ioan, I don't love you THAT much.

26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Ooh, I enjoyed Ringer. But no more special effects!

27. genevieve

yeah, the special effects budget was nil, but the show looks promising! Just make sure to keep Siobhan and Bridget far, far away from each other from now on!

28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I also enjoyed Ringer. I found it to be very moody, which was interesting in that so many shows are obvious, whereas Ringer had this subtle moodiness that one can languish in... :lol: I really like everyone in the cast and it seems like everyone has been set up well to have a good backstory. I think this one might be like Lost in that there is one big story and we just watched one good paragraph from one chapter in the book...which leaves a lot more story to be explored. I'm in! :D

It's funny, I think it was the first scene where the twins meet in Siobhan's home, I thought, "how did they do that??" (in that it looks so real/good). But then when they were out on the ocean, there were some shots which looked very strange. So it was hit or miss for me there...

29. genevieve

I like that let SMG look her age, especially the way she looks a bit haggard as Bridget (even Bridget-playing-Siobhan). More believable than usual on a prime time tv show that she could be a recovering addict.

Here's a pretty awesome review from ew:

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/ringer-series-premiere-episode-1/

30. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I liked Ringer a lot. Given what is on TV these days I thought it was refreshing and adult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.