2011/12 TV Season - New Shows (The Comedies and Reality TV Thread)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 23, 2011.

Which New Shows Are You Looking Forward To Seeing? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. H8r

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Up All Night

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Free Agents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Two Broke Girls

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  5. New Girl

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. The X Factor

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  7. Whitney

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Suburgatory

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. Last Man Standing

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Man Up!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Allen Gregory

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I Hate My Teenage Daughter

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. challon

challon New Member

The funny thing is, that Whitney Cummings is one of the creators of 2 Broke Girls.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I caught up with both "Girl" comedies last night. I enjoyed both, though wouldn't rave over either. Both seemed to be trying a bit hard to establish the characters as "Characters," and both were riddled with that-would-never-happen-in-real-life scenes, but that's par for the course for a sitcom.

If I had to pick one I'd give a slight edge to New Girl, because a. Zooey D. is just so darned likable, c. I liked the character dynamics, sitcommy tho they were, and c. it's back to back with Raising Hope.

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Shows debuting and returning this week (new shows in bold):

Monday, September 26

9:30 Mike & Molly (CBS)

Tuesday, September 27

9:00 24 Hours in the ER (BBCA)

Wednesday, September 28

8:30 Suburgatory (ABC)
    9:30 Happy Endings (ABC)
    10:00 Storm Chasers (Discovery)

Thursday, September 29

8:30 How to be a Gentleman (CBS)

Saturday, October 1

11:30 That Mitchell & Webb Look (BBCA)

Sunday, October 2

10:30 How To Make It In America (HBO)

I'm thinking I'll like this one more than New Girl, although I have high hopes for both. New Girl isn't filmed in front of a live audience like 2 Broke Girls, so it's not trying to be the regular sitcom-type show...

I find the whole cast quite likeable, which is really important to me in regards to TV shows the remain on my must-see list. I don't need characters to be perfect...I loved Laura Innes character on ER and she wasn't always sunshine and sweetness... :lol:

4. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the dissenting opinion--after years of not watching many new shows, the two I took a chance on recording were The New Girl and 2 Broke Girls. The New Girl is going to be the cancelled girl fairly quickly. 2 Broke Girls has a laugh track and tired jokes that make it seem dated already. Both felt stale and contrived and had the only in a sitcom universe...They really need to get rid of laugh tracks. Who does that anymore?

I do hope all three girls get better projects--I love Zoe D. and the two leads on Broke. I hope the shows are successful enough that they all get offered better vehicles in the future.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Matry, sometimes shows use laugh tracks for the pilots and then go to using the live audience for future episodes after the pilot is picked up. I guess they don't want to take any chance with the audience not doing their job? Maybe the pilot isn't even filmed in front of a live audience? I would expect that to get better this episode or within the next few, depending how many they filmed before getting picked up.

6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I think I would find a live audience even more annoying. I don't want to hear any laughter--if you have to be told it's funny, it's not. It's not Broadway; the actors don't need to hold for laughs/applause for the majority of its audience. Unlike music, I've never found live or canned laugher to add anything. It breaks that fourth wall faster than anything for me.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Really? I see your point but I am so used to hearing laughter that I can't imagine watching a comedy without it. Are their any sitcoms without laughter, either from a live audience or from a laugh track? If so then I guess it doesn't bother me after all or I just don't watch those shows.

8. Artemis@BC

I remember reading or hearing about Sports Night, and how Sorkin really, really didn't want a laugh track, but was pretty much forced into it by the network. And wow does it ever sound false. But by season 2 he got his way, no laugh track. Now Sports Night was more of a dramedy than an out-and-out comedy, but it still had a lot of laughs ... and loses nothing without the laugh track.

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Are we talking about recorded laughter for a show as something different than a live show with a laughing audience? I assumed Two Broke Girls was filmed in front of a live audience, like all the great sitcoms of years past (Lucy, All In The Family, Roseanne, Cheers, Friends, etc.)

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Liked 2 Broke Girls. I think it should do good considering the times we are in, so I will be tuning in and routing for it.

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Might as well be the same thing. I went to a taping of a sitcom a few years back, and they most definitely instructed the audience when to laugh and have other reactions. Each segment of each scene may be shot several times, so I guess they needed to keep the laughter up even when the audience is hearing a joke for the fourth time. There was a host of sorts to entertain the audience in between takes, and he'd say things like "now remember, when Joe enters the scene, make sure you sound surprised."

Similarly when I went to live Canadian Idol and Battle of the Blades shows, the stage manager has the audience practice cheering before the show begins, reminds everyone in commercial breaks, and even encourages the audience to boo when they don't like what the judges say. For Canadian Idol, they also had coloured boards and markers so that people could make signs and banners on the way in.

12. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

According to the overnight TV ratings, 2 Broke Girls did better than it's lead in, the established "How I Met Your Mother". Good sign!

Interesting. When I was just a young 'un and travelling around, I saw Golden Girls, Designing Women and Blossom filmed live, and they didn't do that at all that I recall. Maybe a small neon applause sign for when they went to break??

13. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

So I'm the only person who expected it to be on at 9:30 like last week? :p :duh: Hopefully OnDemand to the rescue...

Glad to hear it though!

14. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

I cringe sometimes when I watch the earlier episodes!

I just watched the second episode of New Girl, and I definitely liked it better than the first and I didn't dislike the first. I might keep watching (until it's canceled :shuffle: ).

ETA: Oh nooo. Bad sign for HIMYM. :( (Er, but I only watch it in reruns. It's just a sentimental fave.)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Oh...so YOU'RE to blame!! ;)

16. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but the second episode of Two Broke Girls was terrible - the jokes were stale, it was ridiculously anvilicious :wall: , and seemed really strained or forced.

Also, I watched both parts of the season premiere of Two and A Half Men, and while the first part had high hopes, the second part was awful. If this is the direction Chuck Lorre is planning to take with it, they should have just cancelled it rather than it dying a slow, annoying death.

17. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

:shuffle: Oops.

The problem was that I liked it right from the beginning but then didn't own a TV for a couple of years and got behind. I liked it so much that I didn't want to skip years in their lives but I don't like it enough (or have enough disposable income) to buy the DVDs... I probably should just suck it up and watch the present-day episodes. I mean, theoretically it's all flashbacks, anyway!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

19. Artemis@BC

Did anyone catch Suburgatory last night? I thought it was clever with good characters (esp. Tessa) ... but not really very funny. Not un-funny, as in they tried jokes that fell flat, but just more of a dramedy I guess. Not what I was expecting, so I found myself fighting expectations for the whole 22 minutes. Anyway, I'll give it one more ep at least as I think there's potential.

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I thought the second New Girl episode was great. I wasn't sold on it by the pilot, but I'm definitely want to watch it now.

(sidenote: wondering what products/styling they used on Zooey's hair in the theme song? I love it. I could do that)

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I'm in the same boat. But maybe two more episodes. :D Definitely a dramedy, so no major chortles or anything. Jeremy Sisto (I almost typed Piven) has never looked better and has never played a more enjoyable character. He is a bit of a dolt, but hopefully the neighbourhood ladies can show him a few things... :grope:

And it's always a good thing to see Alan Tudyk on the screen. Is there nothing he can't do???

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Watched How to Be a Gentleman last night, blech.

23. Artemis@BC

That was my thought too -- I can't remember ever liking a character he's played before.

I am holding out hope for this series. How can you not like a show that has a scene beginning with "As we both sat at the breakfast table reading our passive-aggressive self-help books ..." :lol:

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:huh:

WHY???

:p

25. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Only a couple of shows debuting this week:

Wednesday, October 5

10:00 South Park (Comedy)
    10:30 Nick SwardsonÂ’s Pretend Time (Comedy)

26. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Ouch, Community and Parks & Recreation ratings are horrible.

I understand Community's apparently impending demise, as the two episodes this season continue its last season 2nd half "ain't we clever?" schtick. Chang is living in the school's air vents? M-kay, sure. Last season had some real brilliance, but those were rare gems among a lot of hard to watch crap. The show has become a pretty much an unwatchable mush of inside jokes and waytootightlydrawn characters. But, it's sad to see a fantastic show like P&R also swirl the toilet.

Will there be a Thursday night comedy line-up to which 30 Rock can return? Well, maybe, but it's no thanks to Community. The Office is doing fine, probably still providing the 19-38 ratings NBC so covets, and Whitney looks like a renewal waiting to happen. Sigh.

27. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I think "How to Be a Gentleman" actually shows a lot of potential, even if the pilot wasn't super amazing.

28. Artemis@BC

I haven't had a chance to watch the second episode yet, but I concur with your assessment of last season. It seemed that whenever they did a "theme" episoded (like Dungeons & Dragons, or Paintball II), it was brilliant and hilarious, but their "regular" episodes fell completely flat. And you can't really have a theme like that every week.

There were a few nuggets of cleverness in the season opener, though. Ahbed's quest for a new favourite TV series made me laugh (I particularly liked "Inspector Space-Time" :lol: ), and the opening musical number was pretty funny. I'd also like to see John Goodman's character as a returning role, potential there. But the thought of Jeff and Annie makes me want to hurl.

29. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

OMG, you're in for a treat. And by "treat" I mean "yikes". Joel McHale tries to pull off a verycloseandpersonal scene with Alison Brie (Annie) that's supposed to be a pivotal moment that sets up the season; but there's a problem -- we really don't know that Jeff is being serious until the scene is almost over. Partly to fault is the curse that "everything is wink wink" with the show these days, but the bigger fault it with McHale ... who, I've now concluded, is NOT a good actor! Love Abed and Troy, and most of their scenes, still.

30. Artemis@BC

Holy cow, you weren't wrong! Even being prepared for it didn't make it any better. That was some spectacluarly bad writing. (And I agree, McHale is not exactly nuanced.)

Oh well, good timing for me, as Joanna Lumley's Nile starts this Thursday at 8 (on Knowledge Network in BC), so I can now dump Community in favour of that.

And in other DVR-freeing news ... I tried watching 2 Broke Girls again last night. The slight promise I detected in the 1st episode was completely gone. Nothin' but stereotypes and bad dialogue. So there's another one I can cross off my list now.