2011/12 TV Season - New Shows (The Comedies and Reality TV Thread)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 23, 2011.

?

Which New Shows Are You Looking Forward To Seeing? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. H8r

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Up All Night

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Free Agents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Two Broke Girls

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  5. New Girl

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. The X Factor

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  7. Whitney

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Suburgatory

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. Last Man Standing

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Man Up!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Allen Gregory

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I Hate My Teenage Daughter

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Thirteen new comedies/reality shows from the five major networks. Lots of good stuff, but some of the comedies look either great or horrible! :yikes:

Here's a link to the list I posted in the other thread for premiere dates for all new and returning shows (including the non-major networks). And youtube clips of the new comedies and reality TV shows:

Wednesday, September 14
    8:00 H8r (CW reality hosted by Mario Lopez) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgkr9re1lBk

10:00 Up All Night (NBC comedy with Christina Applegate, Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5db6eixmiv0

10:30 Free Agents (NBC comedy with Hank Azaria and Anthony Stewart Head) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFDYl0_JX5E

Monday, September 19
    9:30 Two Broke Girls (CBS comedy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qOmFc2wRJg

Tuesday, September 20
    9:00 New Girl (FOX comedy with Zooey Deschanel) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqojuj1zoU

Wednesday, September 21
    8:00 The X Factor (FOX singing competition with Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iX4K1c4cck

Thursday, September 22
    9:30 Whitney (NBC comedy with Jane Kaczmarek) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnc2QbRZsDM

Wednesday, September 28
    8:30 Suburgatory (ABC comedy with Cheryl Hines, Jeremy Sisto and Ana Gasteyer) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9SKh0RJr8

Thursday, September 29
    8:30 How to be a Gentleman (CBS drama with Dave Foley and Kevin Dillon) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4V9cfsINE

Tuesday, October 11
    8:00 Last Man Standing (ABC comedy with Tim Allen, Nancy Allen and Héctor Elizondo) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbY6E65Np8

Tuesday, October 18
    8:30 Man Up! (ABC comedy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVsPGoC4XHw

Sunday, October 30
    8:30 Allen Gregory (FOX animated comedy with Jonah Hill) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUlfno9QTM

Wednesday, November 23
    9:30 I Hate My Teenage Daughter (FOX comedy with Jaime Pressly) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvV6dHgzxhk

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I saw a preview for Two Broke Girls a few months back and it looked hilarious, I hope it is a success.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm looking forward to this one as well. While they are from different backgrounds, it looks like the comedy comes from them trying to understand each other better, how their lives and experiences have been somewhat opposite. I don't like comedies where the "humour" comes from antagonism. It just seems bitchy and mean and is not funny, IMHO. :)

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'll probably check out "Up All Night" and "Free Agents," mostly because I like the casts. But I'm also happy to see comedies in the 10-11 time slot -- I hope this is a sign that they might have a bit more adult content and not pander to the lowest common denominator.

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

My two pennies worth (again, each section in alphabetical order...)

Must-See's

H8r - I’m really looking forward to this one. Luckily it’s on the CW network, so they will give it a chance to catch on (unlike CBS, who if I remember correctly, often yanks shows off after one airing…) :rolleyes: But this one looks like fun as well as being interesting in a social experiment kind of way. And Mario’s nice to look at, too. :D

New Girl - A show with writing that equals the likeable cast. Plus the guys are hawt!! :grope:

Suburgatory - Will appeal to a niche market…and I’m in! The cast work so well together that it looks like they’ve been working together for a full season already.

The X Factor - A definite “Can’t Wait”!!

Two Broke Girls - Great writing, great cast and I think I’ll want to spend time every week with these people.

Umm, Maybe…

Free Agents - A great cast, but the clever writing (while clever), didn’t leave me with feeling any kind of connection to any of the characters. Not really interested in spending any more time with them than this trailer…

Up All Night - Amazing cast…but it doesn’t look like the writing can match the actors involved with this one…

No…Thanks…Really...

Allen Gregory - Another niche comedy, good writing, but no likeable characters from what I can see…

How to be a Gentleman - One punchline centers around physical assault. HAW-HAW!!

I Hate My Teenage Daughter - A comedy about two women who apparently have never had a clue about how to mother children. That makes for a comedy goldmine – child abuse cracks me up every time… :(

Last Man Standing - Tim Allen, meet trite. Trite, meet Tim Allen…

Man Up! - ABC invites you to spend each and every week with not one, not two, but THREE losers! What fun!

Whitney - Horrible people saying horrible things to…other horrible people. YUCK.

6. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I really want the Up All Night cast to succeed, as the three main actors are 100% deserving of a long sitcom run with Seinfeld like contracts at the end. But I fear that it's going to start okay, but fail by year's end ... it "feels" dated already, and just doesn't look unique enough.

New Girl looks promising, and I too will tune in. It does help, indeed, as Peter said, that the guys are :grope:

Whitney and Last Man Standing will duke it out for FIRST ... as in "the first cancellation of the season".

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Ringer starring Sarah Michelle Gellar :cheer:

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

That one does not look humourous to me at all!

(Maybe check out the dramas thread?) ;)

9. my little pony

identical twin taking the place of another twin? it's like the parent trap with guns. a riot a minute.

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Maybe Lindsay Lohan will guest-star? Things went so smoothly when she was on Ugly Betty, no? :)

Shows debuting/returning this week (new shows in bold):
    Wednesday, September 14

8:00 H8r (CW)
    8:00 Survivor (CBS)
    9:00 America’s Next Top Model (CW)
    10:00 Up All Night (NBC)
    10:30 Free Agents (NBC)

Thursday, September 15

10:00 It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX)
    10:30 Archer (FX)

Friday, September 16

10:00 20/20 (ABC)

11. my little pony

i only acknowledge the hayley mills version

12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I recorded Up All Night and watched it yesterday. Not bad. The strength is definitely the cast -- there's nothing new or groundbreaking about the story. But there were some good laughs and likable characters. I'll probably watch again if I'm home, don't know if it's DVR-worthy tho.

I recorded Free Agents too but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. The cast (esp. Azaria) is the draw for me on that one too.

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I thought H8er was decent. Who woulda thought that Snookie was a stronger person than Jake Pavelka? I think location had something to do with that though, Snookie was on home turf, so she felt more comfortable, whereas Jake was not in his hometown and only had things to share from his time in L.A. that were associated with his Bachelor past (which his H8er...umm, hated...). Jake's H8er was quite the b**** though, I give him credit for trying so long to win her over. What a sour thing she was! :eek:

I thought both shows were smart, well-written show...that were just not very funny... :( Or are they "dramedies"? If that's the case, they just didn't draw me in enough to give them a second viewing.

A few good lines, though, my favourite from Up All Night was when Maya Rudolph's character said something like, "Ah, 1992...I remember being with Rick James, Ian Ziering and Eddie Money were in a white limo, we were on our way to that sushi place..." :lol:

And in Free Agents, when Hank Azaria's character asks his "executive assistant" (Natasha Leggero) for a little less sass and she says (I have to paraphrase!), "it's not sass...it's not sass when the lion kills the gazelle - it's Darwinism". :D

:huh:

Is she some golden-age personality that people from your generation admire? :p

14. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I ADORE Christina Applegate and was so bummed when they canceled Samantha Who. That show and the whole cast was hilarious!!

I hope Up All Night will do well and be a long running show. Watched the pilot thought it was alright, could be funnier though.

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Shows debuting (in bold) and returing (not in bold) this week:

Monday, September 19

8:00 Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
    8:00 How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
    8:00 The Sing-Off (NBC)
    9:00 Two and a Half Men (CBS)
    9:30 Two Broke Girls (CBS)

Tuesday, September 20

8:00 The Biggest Loser (NBC)
    8:00 Glee (FOX)
    9:00 New Girl (FOX)
    9:30 Raising Hope (FOX)
    10:00 Tosh.0 (Comedy)
    10:30 Workaholics (Comedy)

Wednesday, September 21

8:00 The Middle (ABC)
    8:00 The X Factor (FOX)
    9:00 Modern Family (ABC)

Thursday, September 22

8:00 The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
    :00 Community (NBC)
    8:30 Parks & Recreation (NBC)
    9:00 The Office (NBC)
    9:30 Whitney (NBC)

Friday, September 23

8:00 Kitchen Nightmares (FOX)
    9:00 Dateline (NBC)

Saturday, September 24

10:00 48 Hours Mystery (CBS)
    11:30 Saturday Night Live (NBC)

Sunday, September 25

7:00 Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)
    8:00 The Amazing Race (CBS)
    8:00 The Simpsons (FOX)
    8:30 The Cleveland Show (FOX)
    9:00 Desperate Housewives (ABC)
    9:00 Family Guy (FOX)
    9:00 The Great Food Truck Race (Food)
    9:30 American Dad (FOX)

I will be watching Dancing with the Stars, The Sing-Off, Two And A Half Men (just to see how Ashton is introduced), Two Broke Girls, Glee, New Girl, The X Factor, The Amazing Race and Desperate Housewives. But that is all. :D

TygerLily and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I plan to check out Broke Girls and New Girl.

17. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

I looked for Two Broke Girls tonight, but ended up finding Whitney instead (the Canadian channel appears to air it tonight). Some of it, especially early in the episode, was quite painful, perhaps because the punch lines were already ruined from the ads that ran during Castle.

I did want to give a female comedian a shot, though, and since I was procrastinating anyway....

By the end of the episode the characters started to grow on me -- I guess the characters showed a bit of heart. I don't think I'd go out of my way to watch it again, though. I did enjoy the scene between Whitney and Jane K (from Malcolm in the Middle). Too bad the other supporting actors were one-note.

I do know the ads early in the summer interested me, but for some reason I assumed it was a CBC show in the line of Being Erica.

I miss Arrested Development. Sighhhhh.

18. BigB08822

Crap, did Two Broke Girls premiere tonight? I missed it. :(

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

: PeterGtappinghisfootscornfully: :p

Yup, it was on and I also missed it because I was watching DWTS and taping the Sing-Off. But I will watch it online tomorrow, along with Two And A Half Men, which I normally do not watch but when I flipped channels during the commercials, it looked like half the people in television comedy appeared at some point during the show!! :eek: (Plus Ashton does a 100% nude scene.)

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I enjoyed Two Broke Girls - at first I didn't see where it could go over time, but by the end, I think they revealed what the plan is for the show. :)

Really liked that the socialite is not stupid, as might have been the complete stereotype. She's privileged and a bit snotty, but also educated, smart and practical. If they do it right, it could work well against the other character's different brand of smart and practical, and education on the street instead of in the Ivy League. Supporting characters were all weak though - if the show lasts, I expect a shift after the first few episodes.

Also found myself :lol: through most of Ashton Kutcher's debut on Two and a Half Men. Haven't watched the show in years as I found it just getting too far into the gutter, but will give it another chance now.

21. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Did anyone watch The Playboy Club last night. I meant to watch it, but ended up watching Fashion Police instead. I was curious how it turned out.

22. BigB08822

Yes, Allen. Check out the Drama thread, I posted about it in there. Not that I went into great detail but I got drawn in and already set the series to record.

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I watched "New Girl." I kind of liked it. It needs to pick up the pace but I do think it has potential if you like sitcoms.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I've never liked Zooey Deschanel better! :cheer2: Loved the little singing thing she does every now and then. :lol: I also like all the male roommates and am fine with the one taking off his shirt whenever he feels appropriate (or inappropriate!). I was fine with the pacing, I'm okay if things are not all rapid-fire if there is good storytelling taking place. Which this show definitely has. I like my New Girl. :)

I thought the writing was really good and I'm glad I have some comedy back in my life! (Other than loving Outsourced last year, it's possible that the last sitcom I followed was Friends!)

I really like that the two leads can be snarky with each other, but that it's there for a laugh and doesn't go on and on, which can really bring things down. They're in for an interesting friendship, and we get to go along for the ride! :cheer: I also liked how they ended the show, letting us know the direction they're heading towards for season two. Hope it lasts well beyond that. :)

I watched the season debut online yesterday. I had seen bits and pieces of it during commercial breaks of DWTS, but when I watched it as a whole I thought, "yup, this is why I never watched it regularly". It was great to see Jenna Elfman and Jenny McCarthy though. Would like to see them take over as "Two And A Half Women". Now THAT would be a show!!

25. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I turned the channel after the first 15 minutes. The major reason was that I had seen everything they showed for the past 4 months in commercials. I think I may give it another chance next week though and see what I think.

26. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

From someone who's watched few sitcoms since the 90's (Raising Hope was my favorite in a long time) I enjoyed 2 Broke Girls and gave New Girl a chance. I was lucky in that I managed to avoid all the promos over the summer, but I'm still leaning towards Jess being more annoying than cute. I think if anything saves it for me it might be the Nick character but will see.

27. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about the New Girl as well. Some parts I liked but sometimes it's like Zooey D is trying to be quirky. I might watch 1 or 2 more episodes.

I liked 2 Broke Girls a lot. There were some rough bits but mostly, I found it hilarious and the leads are charming. I also felt compelled to watch, because it is set in Brooklyn :p But I'll definitely keep watching.

28. BigB08822

Did anyone watch or like Whitney? I saw the actress/comedian on Jay Leno last night and I don't know, she didn't come across as very likable to me. She jumped in Gerard Butler's lap and mentioned an erection (actually, the lack thereof) and everything was very very sexual. I like sexual jokes but this was on national television and I am not sure if it was the best way to promote your primetime comedy. She just tried way too hard and it made me vow to never watch her show.

29. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I didn't watch it. She's a fairly regular panel member on Chelsea Lately and I never found her that funny. In fact, I was really surprised to see her with her own show.

30. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

:cheer2: :D

oleada and (deleted member) like this.