2011-12 TV - New shows you're looking forward to watching

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bostonfan, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Is it too soon to talk about the new TV season? When I went to see Harry Potter, I saw the preview for Terra Nova and Once Upon a Time, and it got me excited for all of the potentially good shows that are coming this fall/winter.

My picks that I'm looking forward to:

Once Upon a Time (just from the preview)

Terra Nova (it's got dinosaurs)

Person of Interest (mainly because of Michael Emerson)

Grimm (interesting spin on police procedurals)

The Secret Circle (I'm a sucker for witch stories)

Revenge (anything described as "loosely based on the Count of Monte Cristo" will get a look-see from me)

Ringer (thriller involving Sarah Michelle Gellar)

What about you?

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am interested in the one with Patrick Wilson where he runs into an old friend but it turns out she had been dead for a couple of weeks. I like him so I will watch just because he is in it but the story itself will have to keep me watching.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

right now Ringer is the only one on my radar.

4. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm looking forward to both of these. They are running the preview for Terra Nova way too much though- I hope it doesn't turn people off.

But what I'm most excited about is Season 3 of Misfits, even though Robert Sheehan isn't returning. And I'm also really looking forward to Season 5 of Doc Martin. They are running the past seasons on PBS right now, and it's brilliant. It's like House crossed with Raising Ned Devine. If you haven't seen it, check out the series opener.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Will probably check out Person of Interest.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

"Alcatraz" and "Person of Interest" because JJ Abrams is involved and "Terra Nova" and "Smash" because Steven Spielberg is involved. "Once Upon a Time" and "Grimm" just for trying to something more adult with fairytales. And PBS/Ken Burns documentary "Prohibition." (I think) And the HBO series "Enlightened" if it does premier this year: I have no idea what the storyline is on this series but I'll always give a HBO series a shot.

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Haven't looked into any of the new shows yet, but I did see a very brief trailer for Pan Am. My first impression was that it looks like they're trying to tap into the popularity of Mad Men. But that era was visually very appealing, so I might tune into the first episode just for that.

8. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Ringer is about the only one I am interested in as of now.

9. genevieve

I saw a preview of "Once Upon a Time" last night and may tune in. I'll probably give "Smash" a try, but I don't know if it'll hold my interest.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Terra Nova but of course if I like it then that means it will be cancelled. LOL

11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I love Maria Bello, but she's got big, big shoes to try and fill in the Prime Suspect "remake" (!?! Not sure if that's the right term for TV) I'll be tuning in to see how she does and what the show's like.

Other than Terra Nova and Pan Am, there's not much new I'm that interested in.

Oh and I'm also really looking forward to Anderson, Anderson Cooper's foray to Daytime Talk TV. Say or think what you will about Oprah, she did do shows on really tough issues that most talk shows wouldn't touch w/a ten thousand foot pole. I've been worried w/the end of her show who would do those kind of shows now?

Most seem to have the "thought" our World is tough enough as it is, so let's have nothing but happy, happy, goody, goody filled shows. Well, that and they're so scared of losing their audience, so "just in case why bother...". I'm hoping that w/Anderson's profile/known to go after hard hitting stuff w/compassion, he'll be able to pull off doing the "nice and happy" shows, along w/the hard hitting stuff that needs to be shown even though it won't be easy to watch.

At least I hope so.

12. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

New Girl (I love Zooey D. )
    Terra Nova

13. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

The only show I'm madly enthused about is BBC's Sherlock, of which series 2 is currently being filmed.

14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Terra Nova, Prime Suspect, the expanded version of the Sing Off

although it isn't new, fall brings the new season of Sons of Anarchy :cheer2:

15. genevieve

As I mentioned before, I'm looking forward to SMG's Ringer.......but I just discovered ABC Family's The Lying Game, which is pretty much the same premise, but with teenagers instead of adults.

The Lying Game just started a couple weeks ago, and while the first episode was a bit hokey, the second one was way better and I'm now hooked. it's based on a series of YA books by the same author who created Pretty Little Liars (lying seems to be a big theme for her :p).

I'm still planning to watch Ringer, and the fact I can watch it in real time instead of waiting for it to show up on hulu (no cable) is a bonus...but I wonder if getting a few weeks lead time will hurt Ringer's chances to find an audience? Seems like a lot of the CW audience would also watch ABC Family shows.

16. znachki

znachki Active Member

Ringer and Grimm - because I'll give anything that has a Mutant Enemy connection a look see (SMG & David Greenwalt). Also, I'll give The New Girl a try, but I'm not a sitcom watcher generally. So far, that's really all I can think of.

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thank God Thank God Thank God Thank God---I went back and watched the first season and I just love this series. I've said it recently in another thread but it bears repeating as it is so cleverly written, so well acted and shows off modern London beautifully. I cannot wait!!

18. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm interested in both Revenge and Ringer. I think both seem really interesting, so we'll see what actually happens.

19. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I want to see The New Girl and Ringer, especially now that Logan Echolls will be in it.
    :inavoid:

20. genevieve

I just read that on EW's site! :cheer2:

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Revenge sounds like an interesting premise but I can't stand Emily VanCamp as an actress....

22. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm most interested in "Ringer". I'm a "Buffy" worshiper (I honestly think it's one of the best shows EVER) and I'm really excited to see Sarah Michelle Gellar back on television.

I'm also interest in seeing the new show with Zoey Deschanel, "New Girl". All of the promos had me laughing so I plan on checking it out and seeing how it is.

Shows I can't wait to come back on:

"Nikita": Best show on the CW and the only one that's not geared toward the tweeny group. I honestly think the show is too good for the CW...I love it. I'm buying the first season on DVD when I leave work today...can't wait!:D

"Psych": It's a seriously underrated comedy. I absolutely love it! It's a consistently hilarious show and I really wish it'd get more recognition than it does. Note: if you like that show "The Mentalist" you'd love this. It's pretty much the same premises...only "Psych" was here first and "The Mentalist" copied it...freakin' Mentalist...:lynch:

"Dexter": Awesome show. Last season was so good and I can't wait to see what happens this season. I love the concept of the show and how each season we get deeper and deeper into Dexter's psyche...it's an amazing show.

YAY for TV! :rollin:

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

"Unforgettable" with Poppy Montgomery (CBS)
    Season 2 of "Sherlock"

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I didn't like Buffy and I hate the CW, but Ioan Gruffudd is SO :swoon: . Maybe I need a new guilty pleasure in my life. :)

Also looking forward to more Psych (it's been FAR too long) and more Sherlock!

25. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

26. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Okay it is 100 plus again today (breaking the state temp record for most days over 100 degrees---nah the earth ain't warming up.) ANYWAY--I am in front of the tv watching the NBC preview and I feel badly for Maria Bello because her show actually looks good. Couldn't they call it something else and say it was inspired by "Prime Suspect?" By keeping the title there are those (me before the preview) that would never give it a chance because it could never equal Mirren's series or watch and compare instead of looking at this as an interesting police procedural with a strong female lead.
    Another show that caught my eye was "Whitney." I usually rarely laugh out loud when I'm watching a sitcom but her scene playing "doctor" with her man was truly funny. If the rest of the show is that funny I'm in.
    And finally "Smash": It looks good. It looks like "Glee" taken to the next step..the kids are now young adults and trying for their shot on Broadway. I always liked the idea of "A Chorus Line" as a tv series. And God knows we already have plenty of cops, lawyers and doctors to watch.

27. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

Terry O'Quinn (late of LOST) just joined "Hawaii Five-0 so I might check that out this upcoming season.