2011-12 Season ISU Technical Requirements and Changes

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HisWeirness, Apr 5, 2011.

1. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

The ISU is beginning the annual process of updating technical requirements and issuing communications for the 2011-12 season. I am starting this thread so we can gather all of these communications here and discuss them.

Communication 1670 includes the 2011-12 Short Dance and Free Dance required elements.

Key items:

Senior Short Dance
    Junior Short Dance
    Also
    Short Dance choreography rule update (new provisions are underlined):
    Required Short Dance Elements

Senior Pattern
    Junior Pattern
    For both Senior and Junior Patterns:
    Additional required SD elements:
    Required Free Dance Elements (Senior)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. smartblade

smartblade New Member

Senior: one (1) Not Touching Circular Step Sequence (SD requirement)
    that's exciting!

3. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Thank goodness, this is what killed so many of the short dances for me this year.

Already having high hopes for slutty costume voids! :rollin:

4. HisWeirness

^ I love that the wango will not return next season. Most were :blah:

I am also very excited for slutty latin dance costumes. Bring on the neon orange, ruffles and deep V-necks! :D :grope:

5. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Indeed:D

I dont like that the two patterns of the rhumba can be skated at different moments and not one after the other.. it will hurt the ability to compare the teams against each other.

I do like that they realized we got tons of "copy & paste" SDs this season and they are demanding a coherent piece of choreography this time.

Overall Im surprised they went again with popurri of latin rhythms after the huge failure that was the 2005-2006 season with that splatfest of epic proportions knowns as Torino's OD.

6. Libertango

Libertango New Member

I hate latin programs but I remember that it had a lot of success with non-skating fans and non-ice dance fans!

7. HisWeirness

True...but it gave us this!

OD Memories.

8. SamuraiK

That's true I remember watching the Torino Olympics OD with thre girls who have never seen any Figure Skating in their lives, and they all loved it, specially B&A because it was to a Jennifer Lopez song! :lol: At least it was a very entertaining night for sure with all the drama of Babs Death Stare and Dubreuils tragic fall.

But lets face it: anglo, nordic, slavic skaters suck big time at trying to carry the latin flow and portraying the hotness vibe that is required for these dances, they all end up looking horribly stiff and contrived.

9. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Oh well I'm pretty convinced Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov will rock these dances.

10. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

You're generalizing too much.

I think P&B will be able to bring the sexy. I&K have the chemistry for it too.

Ones I can't see bringing it are like (just a few examples), D&W, C&P, B&S...I'm undecided on V&M. They rely on the young love stuff so much, I've forgotten anything else they've done.

11. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Some of the hottest Latin dances I can remember were performed by Russian couples. Usova/Zhulin's and Grishuk/Platov's rhumbas are my favorites.

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:wideeyes:

You remind me of John Martin.

:scream:

13. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Navka wasn't bad either.
    And Anissina's Flamenco was amazing.

14. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I'm ready for the Latin dances again! :cheer: :smokin:

Enough with waltzes & tangos (especially combined :yikes:) for a while! :scream:

15. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Oh, no, not again. :wall: :wall: :wall:

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I must commend HisWeirness not only for making an excellent informative post as usual, but for the creative use of greamlins. I never thought B&S' final pose from Meditation would work for rhumba, but it really does!!! :lol:

Good thing Navka retired well before these rules against stopping in one place for too long were put into effect. :p

The way I am reading it, the seniors can choose from the 5 dances, but they must do a rhumba pattern. There's no requirement that they actually choose the rhumba though. So they can skate a samba and mambo and fit the rhumba pattern in there somewhere. :confused: Why didn't they make it like juniors where they must skate cha-cha alone or cha-cha + other rhythm of choice?

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  17. SamuraiK

Well yes, its a general statement, and of course there are always exceptions that break the rule but the general idea remains the same IMO.. I think Riazanova can do it, I remember enjoyin a lot her latin FD with Guerreiro back in 2008.

Well if you consider those really hot I wont argue with that, but thats hardly the definition of hotness for me.

Flamenco isn't the type of rythm we're talking here really.. dont think it qualifies as "latin" at least not in the tropical sense this OD is aiming for.

The only ones who nailed the latin/tropical character in Torino were Tanith, Grushina and Sinead Kerr IMHO. All the other girls were a total mess. Navka was hilarious in those first seconds with all that ridiculous-looking ass shaking:yikes:, but then she kinda pulled it off thanks mostly to her awesome charisma.

18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Because the Rhumba pattern dance is usually skated to music that's faster than a typical rhumba, so the steps would really go better or at least just as well with music intended for one of the other dances named?

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting HisWeirness. Can always count on you to keep us up to date.

I am glad they have picked a theme and stuck to it. Really didn't like how this season the dances have seemed so disjointed.

Agree about slutty dance costumes. Latin is the best for those.

20. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Both Madisons (Chock and Hubbell) must be looking forward to an extra-slutty season!

21. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

What is a "Not Touching Circular Step Sequence"? This isn't the typical circular step sequence, is it, because that one uses holds?

22. Aussie Willy

It is a normal circular step sequence, the couple are just not in dance hold like they currently are.

23. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Has this element been used before? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'm trying to imagine it in my mind and it seems more difficult than a no touching midline sequence - to maintain a circular path, weaving in and out, without using each other for support.

24. Aussie Willy

Not sure. Will certainly make it interesting.

25. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

No Yankee Polka :lynch:

I didn't want the Rhumba earlier, but for some reason, I feel like it would be fun now. Like everyone else, I'm really happy about the rule that the rhythms have to make sense with other.

26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I just hope they don't go over the top with that Rhumba hip action. :scream:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  27. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Yeah, the ballroom rumba is done to much slower music than the ice dance rumba. Even American Rhythm is slower, let alone International Latin, which is slower still.

28. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I think I/K will have a very hot SD next season :grope:

29. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I've seen pairs teams do circular footwork. My favorite was Inoue/Baldwin's from their 2006 SP. I looked for it on YouTube but no luck. I think it will be a nice change to the SD's next year!

30. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

This sequence is for brother-sister teams...