2011/12 ISU International Competition Schedule (Thornhill added as a Senior B)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 17, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

See ISU Communication No. 1676: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html
    (There's also a colored chart PDF.)

2 new Senior B competitions have been added to the schedule:
    ETA:

Link to the Grand Prix Pre-Announcement info/discussion thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78719

Link to the Junior Grand Prix Announcement info & general discussion thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78782

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

No dance for the senior B at Thornhill? That's disappointing given that it'd be relatively inexpensive for USFSA/Skate Canada to send teams and spread the assignments around. Not to mention some of the smaller European federations with dance teams training within a fairly accessible distance.

But finally North America and Asia get a Senior B!

3. blademate

blademate Member

could someone briefly explain the importance of "Senior B" events? New skating fan here lol...

4. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Why not the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championship?
    That event draws international participation, sometimes more than Thornhill does.

5. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Senior B events (a.k.a. ISU-sanctioned International Competitions) allow skaters to

1. earn ISU World Standings points (if enough competitors from different nations compete) and
    2. establish an international competition score that can be used to meet the minimum technical element scores (short program and free skate) required for entry into ISU Championships (new requirement as of the 2010-11 season).

ISU Championships are Euros, Four Continents, Jr. Worlds and Worlds.

6. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Thornhill is confirmed for men/ladies/pairs, according to Sylvia's post.

No word about dance yet. Perhaps that is still under negotiation.

7. Sylvia

8. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

THe Asian Figure Skating Trophy has been going on for a few years now, but always with very very low level skaters. Hopefully with this new status we'll see some bigger names from Japan or China at least.

9. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Detroit is so close and has so many great ice dancers, but I doubt that the best ones would want to show their new programs around that time. Too early.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

About time they added a Senior B somewhere on this side of the World.

11. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

In the past, Thornhill has had dance events. It's been part of the summer challenge series with Montreal and BC/YC. Hopefully they'll continue to offer it.

12. euterpe

Is this considered a Regional competition? If it is restricted to Asian federations, it won't get ISU World Ranking points.

13. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I got confused. Then how about Euro or Nordic Cup?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  14. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Actually, Scott and Tessa debuted their FD at Thornhill in Olympic year. Sometimes there are some teams that will get feedback on one of their programs. Maybe the idea is not to make this a Senior B for dance so that it remains open to other teams from around Canada who normally wouldn't go to a Senior B event. It's generally been quite a popular event.

Summer competitions for dancers in Canada are generally Minto, sometimes Lake Placid (it will have to be one or the other this year, I believe), and Thornhill. You might see more lower levels (Juvenile, Pre-Novice and Novice) at Summer Sizzle in Waterloo, and the odd Junior and/or Senior team. Monitoring is normally at either Minto or Lake Placid and Thornhill, and sometimes in Waterloo if there are enough teams registered.

15. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I'll surely be there :D

16. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

I wonder what this means for Thornhill. Will tickets now be sold like they are for a major international event, or will its still be a walk in type of competition? I've been going to Thornhill for years, and was lucky enough to see many great skaters there (Virtue & Moir, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Lawrence & Swiegers, Crone & Poirier, Ralph & Hill, Paul & Islam, Langlois & Hay, Andrei Rogozine, etc) but there certainly isnt much seating room for fans. I wonder if this change of status will scare some of the regulars away.

17. euterpe

Euros is OK as long as there is also a 4CC.

Nordics has opened up the Senior Men and Ladies competition to competitors from non-Nordic federations. ISU points are awarded as long as there are enough competitors from other regions.

18. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Thanks!

19. caro-ira

caro-ira New Member

An event in İstanbul! Magnificent!

20. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

In summer competitions, skaters sometimes just skate 1 SP or 1 LP to get it out there. If it`s a senior B, I doubt they will be allowed to do that, right? Maybe in a separate exhibition.

21. kppt

kppt New Member

Some are said to be debuting programs at Skate Detroit which is even earlier. It does seem odd that Thornhill will not be an International Dance comp: it always has larger dance events when compared to pairs. I hope the dancers don't stay away: it will be great to see the new latin short dances:)

22. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

To get an international panel of judges is probably expensive. Pairs and singles can have the same ones, dance would need another. Maybe that's why?

23. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

So what does this mean for Thornhill? Will it have regular entries and separate entries for the Senior B, like the NACS several years back? Or will everyone be allowed to enter as usual, with everyone judged by an international panel? Does this mean someone like Adriana Desanctis will be able to record an official ISU score by participating?

24. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I was told that it would be a separate competition within a competition.. so assume that means like the NACS used to be? Required as officials will have to be of a certain standard etc., and yes means that our top skaters can record an official ISU score by participating, however I think - but not sure that Skate Canada gets to enter the skaters as it is an international event? I'm sure the technical bulletin will be somewhere or out soon?

25. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

I'm confirmed for Gdansk, Brasov, Paris, Moscow and Sheffield :D
    Not sure it's updated on the ISU site yet :p

26. benfoldsrock

benfoldsrock Member

I just skated for a week at the new ice rink in dongguan, china. It is in the south close to hong kong and shenzhen. The owner use to be hong kong fsc president and daughter is an ice dancer that used to train under marina and igor in detroit. It is a brand new olympic size rink that only open for 2 months. The chinese mens and 2 of the girl team is training there right now til mid june. Dongguan now is one of the largest cities in china and so glad they finally open an rink, it is in a mall and if you plan to go, there are no seating in the rink. I did a scratch spin and a group if kids started following me around. . .

27. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

And will you skate singles or pairs with Tan6ka? Or have you split with het and switched to one of Metullas Zambonis who nearly bet you in last happened Israeli nationals? If yes, then welcome to the offseason splitsville (and poor Tan6ka).

28. kppt

kppt New Member

Yes, this is exactly how it will work. My understanding is that it will need to be an international level panel, made up of such judges from Canada and the US (as well as Tech Panel). The remainder of the competition, including separate (non-International) senior singles events will be judged by the usual smattering of officials qualified at various levels.

I also understand that the Pairs listing was incorrect, and that the international will just be Senior Ladies and Senior Men. Nonetheless, it will be a great opportunity for up and coming North American skaters to gain some ISU points. It should be interesting.

29. Sylvia

Summer Skate 2011 in Thornhill (Senior B for Senior Ladies & Men) is now listed as CANCELLED on the ISU calendar. :(

30. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

What!?!?! Why!?!?!?