2010 Weiss Foundation Show -- October 24, Arlington, Virginia

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by acraven, Jul 31, 2010.

1. acraven

acraven Active Member

The 2010 Michael Weiss Foundation fund-raising show will take place at 5 PM on Sunday, October 24, in Arlington, Virginia. The show will be preceded by a silent auction that usually includes--among other things--a lot of autographed skating memorabilia. The show location, Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Ballston, is accessible on foot from the Ballston Metro station, making it convenient for many locals and anyone flying into Reagan National Airport or taking Amtrak to DC's Union Station.

The cast normally includes some of Michael's SOI cast mates as well as younger up-and-comers supported by Foundation training scholarships. A partial cast list (subject to change) has been announced: Brian Boitano, Michael Weiss, Jennifer Robinson, John Zimmerman, Silvia Fontana, Christina Gao, Sinead and John Kerr, Dan Hollander, and Nathan Chen. What a great opportunity for East Coasters to see Chen and Gao, who don't train in our area!

Ticket prices begin at $30. On-ice seating is $50. There's a service charge of $4.75 per ticket, I think.

Order tickets here: http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=2527135&pl=

Refer to seating diagram here: http://www.michaelweiss.org/chart.htm

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We normally go to this, but due to a family event, will have to miss it this year. :( I wish it took place one day earlier!

3. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I wish it was being held a day earlier, too! But I'll still most likely attend anyway. I really enjoyed the past two years' shows. :)

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I've been to two of the shows and really enjoyed both. He always has a nice mix of high quality pros and promising younger skaters. It's wonderful of the skaters to donate their time for a great cause, and Michael does a good job of organizing everything. If anyone can attend, I highly recommend it. It's hard to find a more fun way to support young skaters.

A recent email also indicated Ryan Bradley was added to the cast which is a great addition.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

This is always one of the best shows & most-fun events of the year. Can't wait!

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think the schedule works for me this year!!!

7. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

We'll be there again this year.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Oct. 4th press release for this show: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101004&content_id=15411488&vkey=ice_pressrelease

CURRENT 2010 SKATERS for Ice Champions LIVE!
    Brain Boitano - Olympic champion
    Michael Weiss - three-time U.S. national champion
    Ilia Kulik - Olympic champion
    Kimmie Meissner - world champion (from Bel Air, Md.)
    Todd Eldredge - world champion
    Silvia Fontana - Italian national champion, Olympian
    Christina Gao - 2009 Grand Prix final medalist
    John Zimmerman - three-time U.S. national pairs champion
    Ryan Bradley - two-time U.S. national medalist
    Sinead Kerr and John Kerr - European medalists, Olympians

9. Sylvia

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  10. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I was listening to WTOP News Radio yesterday and they had a little feature on the show! I thought that was really cool.

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Very sorry I can't make it this year, but looking forward to the reports. :respec: to Michael, Lisa and all the skaters and volunteers for participating.

12. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

OK - here's the updated list of performers as of 10/19 - I think it's a safe bet that they will all be there on Sunday (10/24)....
    Emmanuel Savary
    Mary Kate Mulera ( young, talented local skater, I think)
    Nathan Chen
    Nicolette House and Aidas Reklys
    Ryan Bradley
    Jennifer Robinson
    Dan Hollander
    Rockne Brubaker and Mary Beth Marley
    Christina Gao
    Sinead & John Kerr
    Ilia Kulik
    Kimmie Meissner
    Brian Boitano
    Capitol Steps Synchro Team
    Michael Weiss

Still good seats left, but at this point you have to buy them in person (to late for online purchases). I'll be down by the on-ice seating door again trying to keep things safe - stop by and say howdy!

13. Sylvia

14. roxynova

roxynova New Member

What about Todd E.? Seen him listed elsewhere, can u confirm that he is not in the show?

15. Hooloovoo

Hooloovoo New Member

Todd will not be at Mike's show this year.

-Hoo

16. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Thanks so much to everyone who came out to see this year's show! I hope you all had a great time and had as much fun as I did :) I would love to hear any feedback or suggestions for next year.

See you next year!

17. Sylvia

18. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

19. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Stanhope, I agree that article left out some important details! Did anyone from here go?? I was hoping for a review and what songs everyone skated too! Esp. Mike & Ilia!

20. Sylvia

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Jennifer Robinson skated to Eva Cassidy's FOG ? OH NO, SHE DIDN'T ! :p

Mary Beth looks really, reallly young in the picture with Rockny.

22. Sinclare

Sinclare New Member

Sounds like it was a great show. I will always have a soft spot for Kimmie, :cool:

23. krenseby

krenseby New Member

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Agree, and she always has such joy in her exhibitions, like she really appreciates being on the ice and skating for people. No matter what her jump content, I enjoy seeing her perform.

25. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

We had a nice time chatting with Kimmie about the Ravens game which she was glued to in cafe area. We were waiting for Ilia - he spent some time with our group - and she said that while she was thrilled to skate, it was all about the Ravens on Sunday. BTW, they won in OT. She is a delightful young lady.

I actually enjoyed Dan Hollander's Olympic spoof (and I usually am left cold by his programs) - this one was very funny and using Scott Hamilton as the hypothetical TV voiceover just made it work. Ilia of course played Plushie in the worst blonde wig ever. Silly and fun.

I was surprised and happy to see the Kerrs there - they skated nicely and I didn't notice any favoring for her injured shoulder. Rockne and Mary Beth really tried but for me they don't work at all. She looks too young and too little - a kid skating with a man - and their work together (while new) is very, very ragged and she just looked like a deer in the headlights out there. I just don't see anything miraculous in the future for that pairing.

I thought Jennifer did admirably (I almost don't care who's skating when I hear Eva Cassidy singing) and as always, there are such good feelings around the whole show that is it more than worth freezing to death in the coldest rink ever (it took an hour for my toes to thaw out - I don't remember it being quite that cold before - it was extreme!). Brian did what Brian does these days - perfectly executed spreadeagles and a few solidly done jumps. Michael as always was a gracious and charming host, and skated very nicely to his accustomed country-type big-beat song.

Ilia skated Mustang Nismo and I thought he was strong and exciting (although the ice size gave him some jump problems so only a few triples and some doubles - lots of big jumps (not axels as acraven corrected me) though in the finale) and it was delightful to have a chance to chat with him again. He seemed very happy to be there, joking that he'd come 3,000 miles for the party (a private Halloween party that Mike and Lisa hosted for the cast after the event). I hope it was fun.

It was worth the trip to DC.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  26. acraven

acraven Active Member

There were two rows of on-ice seating (the second being barstools), so the ice size probably did affect the skaters' jump set-ups. Kulik planned a 3T but popped it to a double. He tried the jump again (don't know whether it was part of the original choreography or not) and popped it again. Obviously, it bugged him. When the skaters came out at the end of the show, he chose to do four triple toes; the first three were perfect.

I thought we might get an early look at Marley and Brubaker's SP, but they chose to do an exhibition program. At this time of year, I wouldn't expect any team to have a new exhibition program well polished, even an experienced team. I hope they're spending most of their practice time on competitive elements and unison in the SP and FS. I saw a lot of positive signs in the exhibition: They did a high double twist, and he caught her way above the ice. They did a lasso lift that went to one hand and looked fine in the air, but had problems coming down. In both the lasso lift and a carry lift Mary Beth had nice air positions, which is much to their credit considering she had no previous pairs experience. Her flexibility will be a plus in pairs. Their speed was fine under the circustances; it doesn't look like she's going to hold him back in that regard. And we know she can jump.

I didn't think Mary Beth looked shockingly young, but of couse I was aware of the age difference and didn't expect her to look as old as Rockne. In any case, I think the difference will be quite a bit less noticeable when she's made up for competition and skating a better-trained program.

It will be interesting to see how much progress they can make by Nationals.

27. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

acraven, as you clearly know far more about Mary Beth and Rockne than I do, I take your word for it and give them the benefit of the doubt. I hope the season holds better for them. For someone who doesn't know them (I've of course seen him skate before) as a pair, the perceived age difference is remarkable but most people who see them, judges included, will be familiar with them and that's to the good.

28. Sylvia

Here are all the tweeted photos:

Michael Weiss

Ryan Bradley ("Charlie & the Chocolate Factory")

Ilia Kulik ("Mustang Nismo")

Brian Boitano

Sinead & John Kerr

Christina Gao ("Ave Maria")

Kimmie Meissner ("Brown Eyed Girl")

Marley & Brubaker (Tom Petty's "American Girl'')

Dan Hollander

Jennifer Robinson (Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold")

House/Reklys (LTU)

Nathan Chen (his Novice SP to music from the TV series "Rawhide")

Emmanuel Savary (his Junior SP to a Jackson 5 medley, choreographed by Tom Dickson)

Mary Kate Mulera

29. devonia

devonia New Member

Coming out of years of lurking to post a few more music details...

Ryan Bradley's program started with "Pure Imagination" (Gene Wilder) and then went into the Oompa Loompa song. He came out in full Wonka-attire, complete with top hat.

House/Reklys skated to "Goodbye My Lover".

Emmanuel Savary's program had lyrics, so it was probably a spin off of his short program.

I'm not sure the exact music that the Kerrs skated to, but it started out as a waltz and then a voice-over that said that was too boring, so it went into a fast, fun number from there with lots of personality.

Christina Gao skated to Beyonce's version of "Ave Maria" and landed a clean triple-triple.

Thanks for posting links to our pics, Sylvia :)

30. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Sounds like the Kerrs did their SD, which is to "At Last" by Etta James; followed by "Shut Up & Let Me Go" by The Ting Tings.