2010 Olympic Ice Dance Results

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by longingfornia, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Fair enough. I think with the system set up as it is and the skating as it was, silver was deserving for D/W.

2. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

It was a big advantage for the younger couples who have grown up with the new system.
    The likes of Del/Sch, Fae/Sca, Bel/Ago & Dom/Sha had to adapt from the perfect 6 scoring system to the current one.
    Davis/White played the system well.

3. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Absolutely agree.

4. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

V/M and D/W have to thank all the the injuries that plagued all the other competitors and some unexpected falls. With healthy Shabs at worlds in Goteburg in 2008 (which they would have most likely won had they been able to compete), and without B/A's fall in the CD, V/M and D/W would have been nowhere near the podium. With healthy Shabs and D/S, I think V/M and D/W would have not been on the podium in Vancouver either, no matter how good are Marina and Igor in making up points...under normal circumstance that was simply not their moment, yet! I know "ifs" don't count but that's the scenario I would envision with the above "ifs"

BTW, sorry for jumping the wagon so late

5. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Regarding Domnina/Shabalin programs, there was a school of thought that Linichuk, being no one's fool, gave them the rather outlandish OD and controversial (in terms of lifting via costume parts, etc.) FD to deflect attention from Shabalin's inability, due to deteriorated knees, to execute certain maneuvers. Domnina/Shabalin were far the best in the Tango but simply could not keep pace with the top two teams' technical elements.

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

.... well, with a healthy DomShabs and DelShoes, there's still one podium spot open.

But then it goes around and around. If DomShabs were healthy, DelSchoes don't become world champions, right? And V/M don't miss half of the 08/09 season and likely remain challengers for the podium. Given DelSchoes fluke mistakes that kept them off the podium in the past, and the fact that V/M were actually coming on quite strongly in the 07/08 season, I think V/M stick around and podium.

7. PashaFan

Both the Eurosport & BBC commentators said that (the compulsory dance was going to be the best for D/S then they would find it more difficult).
    But I was hoping they were wrong. I did enjoy their OD & free dance though & watch it reguarly.
    I just can't watch the marks at the end-they look so sad.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Domnina & Shabalin would not have won the 2009 Worlds had Delobel & Schoenfelder competed. That is even more obvious than saying vice versa for the 2008 Worlds. Funny how the fans of Domnina & Shabalin like to ignore this in their overall summary of things though.

It is also crazy to say Virtue & Moir would not have been on the podium in Vancouver even had everything gone the best for both those teams. For Davis & White it is quite plausible to suggest, but not for Virtue & Moir. At worst they would still easily beat Davis & White and Belbin & Agosto (who were continually losing support and momentum despite improving) in Vancouver, thus being guaranteed a medal. Personally I think it would have been very hard for anyone to beat them in Vancouver regardless. They were too good there, were on home ice,, and they were better technically there than either of the D&S teams had ever been in their careers, while also being strong artistically.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

After the Europeans it is comical you believed Domnina & Shabalin were still the gold favorites. Need you be reminded they lost both the OD and FD to Faiella & Scali there, and most considered their victory there a gift by an inflated CD score. Talk of a NA sweep became very prominent after that event. At the Olympics F&S again probably deserved to beat Domnina & Shabalin overall, if they were judged properly Domnina & Shabalin would have finished in 5th place.

Delobel & Schoenfelder had not competed in 14 months and barely trained. They were never going to be ready to be contenders of any kind in Vancouver. 6th or 7th was right for them at the Olympics, they only stayed ahead of Pechalat & Bourzat based on seniority most likely.

Davis & White and Virtue & Moir had been dominating the season and far outscoring anyone else be it Belbin & Agosto all season, or Domnina & Shabalin at Europeans. It was always clear they were the likely gold and silver winners in Vancouver.

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Many were predicting that Russia equals Gold and no matter domshabs would win at the Olympics because only twice did no Russian/Soviet couple win. They were not thinking of quality of dance but rather precendent. When Tango Romantica was first declared the CD dance that was like "FIX IS IN!!!" Then the Russians on the judging panel "FIX IS IN!!!" cried some press people and others on forums. Hate to post that it was the more figure skating every four years people that really thought Domshabs would stand a chance to win. Can't even post links to people saying Domshabs would do well at the Olympics because they would be trained more and the Russia stumbled and Euro losses in FD and OD wouldn't matter because they would do well because I can't think of any writing like that! It was all about their costumes of OD and FD being controversial and being ice dance Russia equals win.

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well many Aboriginal Australians would care to disagree.

If the dance was meant to be a representation of Australian Aboriginal dancing, they were so off the mark it wasn't funny and ended up being incredibly disrespectful.

The Australian dance team also did an Aboriginal FD but they did their research and also consulted with Aboriginal people to make sure they were doing the right things. Here is their OD from 2008 which they then did again for the 2009-2010 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCUKYUD3RiM&feature=g-upl&context=G28e0c48AUAAAAAAAEAA

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. PashaFan

I was speaking for me & no one else.

13. PashaFan

If you find it comical I'm happy I gave you a good laugh !

14. Aussie Willy

No you were actually condoning something that many found offensive and was totally lacking in cultural research and sensitivity.

15. PashaFan

What is it with you?.
    I have my opinion & you have yours. I'm not condoning anything I just said I did not find it offensive. If you do that's your problem not mine.
    Why don't you take it up with Domnina & Shabolin if it offends you so much?.

16. Aussie Willy

So I am not allowed to challenge your opinion?

:lol: Bit late now.

17. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Pasha, do you see how the dance could offend people?

18. PashaFan

Of course. But like I said, I'm mixed race & have had far worse things said to me than this programe could ever do.
    It's been two years since Vancouver & there were people who stood up for D/S.
    The IOC or ISU should have stepped in & done something if they thought that the programe was too offensive.
    I agree that at the Europeans that year they went too far with the costumes & was amazed that nothing was said before hand.
    But in the world & times we live in I'm not going to get angry over an ice dance programe that will never be skated to again.

19. winterchik

winterchik Member

Very good
    close to the truth, the TANGO was at least 5 point above all others..