2010 GPF Pairs Prediction Poll

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jun 13, 2010.

Who will make GPF?

1. Denney/Barrett

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. Evora/Ladwig

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. McLaughlin/Brubaker

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Bazarova/Larionov

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Della Monica/Kocon

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Berton/Hotarek

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. Sui/Han (currently only 1 spot)

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  8. Iliush/Maisuradze (currently only 1 spot)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

If S/S, P/T, Z/Z, and D/D make it, who else will round out the field? The teams I listed with only 1 spot could end up with 2 by the time GP series rolls around if others withdraw....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Bazarova/Larionov and Denney/Barrett. I'm assuming Pang and Tong will withdraw, which would give either of this teams a shot at silver at NHK, behind the Zhangs. Evora/Ladwig can get the same benefit in China, but the field is a bit tougher in Russia, I think. Then at SA, Denney/Barrett are likely to finish second, and B/L likely third at TEB. So, if the NHK results are Z/Z, B/L and D/B, I think both these teams could qualify.

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

McLaughlin&Brubacker, Denney&Barrett or Bazarova&Larionov !

4. ivagall

ivagall Member

Denney/Barrett, Bazarova/Larionov & Berton/Hotarek. I wouldn't bet my money on Dube/Davison making it and you're missing Kavaguti/Smirnov, who'll be more then likely in final.

5. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

There is also Kavaguti/Smirnov. Unless some of the top teams get beat (and that could happen especially with D/D) there would be one spot for the GPF. I don't anticipate Pang/Tong doing the GP though, so there could be at least two spots. Talent-wise, M/B will be a front-runner for one of the spots, but they would of course need to skate well enough. They perhaps may have to beat D/B at Skate America to get into the final, as D/B and Bazarova/Larionov could have an easier road there with NHK (P/T are there, but they could easily withdraw) than M/B would have with Skate Canada (which has K/S, D/D, and maybe even Duhamel/new partner if they get it together). Then again, Denney/Barrett lost to Inoue/Baldwin on the GP last year, so you never know what could happen and who is going to skate well. The last couple of spots often come down to tiebreakers, so it may be a matter of who outscores who. On another note, are I/B really still competing? Who knows.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  6. haribobo

Oops, I totally meant to include K/S in the shoe-ins group. If they are injury-free and all that. Thanks.

7. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Neither of them. Lets count:
    Sav/Szolk
    Zhang/Zhang
    Pang/Tong if they continue
    Kawag/ Smir
    Mukhortova/new partner
    Dube/Dav (possibly, if in good form)

That's six already.

8. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

I think Pang/Tong, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Zhang/Zhang, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Dubé/Davison and Denney/Barrett will make the GPF. Denney/Barrett have a real good shot at winning silver at both NHK Trophy and Skate America. The other 5 teams should make it - barring meltdown/withdrawals/retirements.

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

It's unlikely they'll get two assignments.

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I actually see the Zhangs missing the GPF. Their decline will continue this season.

11. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

What makes you think that?

:shuffle:

12. judgejudy27

Maybe the fact their PCS plunged down the drain last year, their skating hasnt improved one iota for 4 years, the fact their skating is so slow and mind numbingly boring between the tricks has caught up to them, that Pang & Tong are staying apparently so they still arent the #1 Chinese team and with Sui & Han coming up they likely never will be again, and since at Worlds last year they skated the best they possibly could and still only finished 5th and they dont usually skate that consistently these days as they did there, and since I dont see them passing any of the teams currently over them so the only place for them to go from here is further down. Anymore questions? :shuffle:

13. haribobo

KavSmir and DubDavs are not exactly bastions of consistency either, and occasionally give even worse performances than Zhangs. Look, we all love to hate the Zhangs, but they will always be a top 5 team until they break bones or retire. They need no program at all, as long as they can do their jumps, throws, and twists. It is just a sad fact of life that overskore will occur with them, and the sooner we come to terms with it, the better. :p Just like how we have to accept Cinquanta as president. We all have our crosses to bear in this world, and as skating fans, Zhangs and Cinquanta are ours...

14. MikiAndoFan#1

Their PCS weren't that different from previous seasons, excecpt at Skate America, where their PCS were a joke, in my opinion. At this years Worlds, I thought they were underscored in both segments of the competition.

They at least should've been ahead of Aliona & Robin in the SP.

Plenty, but I won't waste more of your precious time.

:rolleyes:

15. haribobo

:rofl: Ahh, how I love snark. :EVILLE:

16. judgejudy27

PCS are relative to your competitors. PCS have been skyrocketing in recent years, so if your PCS are merely staying the same or going slightly down as the Zhangs then relative to your competitors they are going way down. They used to get comparable PCS to Pang & Tong, now the Zhangs are still getting low to mid 7s while P&T have skyrocketed to high 8s and 9s. Dube & Davison and Mukhortova & Trankov even with big falls and errors were getting higher PCS than the Zhangs skating cleanly in certain programs.

Anyway here is how I see it. Pang & Tong, Kavaguchi & Smirnov, and Savchenko & Szowkoly could crash and burn and they will still beat the Zhangs next season IMO. That is unless the Zhangs have actually improved but since they have failed to do that since 2006 I wont be holding my breath on that, and even if they finally did it might be a case of too little too late. We all see how the Zhangs skating cleanly where nowhere near K&S with 2 falls at last years Worlds. Dube & Davison will start beating the Zhangs if they can start skating more consistently. Then there are teams that could still improve alot more like the American teams and the younger Russian teams. Sui & Han will probably pass the Zhangs sometime in the next year or two although probably not this season. And unless Volosozhar & Trankov is a huge dissapointment they will easily pass the Zhangs as well.

So no I dont see the Zhangs remaining a top 5 team. They dropped from a top 2 team to barely a top 5 team last year, so why would things get any better for them from here.

17. haribobo

Err, I wouldn't bet on that one.

Man I hope so re: US teams. Any US team challenging Zhangs would make me so happy. For RUS, B/L and I/M were pretty dreadful for most of last season, even when they landed stuff. So I dunno. At this point I'm more hopeful for MukBlanch and VoloTranks. US, RUS, and Berton/Hotarek and mayyybe James/Coia and Duhamel/Radford are the top contendors to invigorate the pairs field....

Sui/Han are great but I am waiting to see how this year goes before predicting too much for them.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  18. MikiAndoFan#1

Still, 52 in PCS is too low for Dan & Hao.

:lol:

Aliona & Robin crashed and burned at last years TEB and they didn't win and I don't see Jessica & Bryce becoming consistent. Oh, and Yuko & Alexander were massively overscored for their LP at Worlds.

I don't really see those teams challeging Dan & Hao.

19. judgejudy27

If you think Dan & Hao are underscored or Kavaguti & Smirnov are overscored there is probably a reason for that. That is K&S are a team now in favor and seen as one of the leaders, and Dan & Hao are not any longer. Are you really expecting the scores of the #1 Russian team (unless V&T make a smashing debut) to suddenly "drop" while the scores of the a team that was scored low all last year to suddenly rise.

Anyway Dan & Hao were overscored in PCS (again relative to their competitors) all the time from 2005-2008. Well some of their competitors are getting their turn at it now.

OK so if Aliona & Robin duplicate their worst skate ever of last years TEB with about 6 big mistakes then yes the Zhangs would have a chance to beat them. Happy. :lol:

The Zhangs are becoming increasingly consistent so they might not have to. If both teams even make similar mistakes I could see Dube & Davison beating them in the coming years. The Zhangs skatec the best they possibly could have at Worlds last year and were only 5th, while every other team in the field made mistakes. Only 1 team above them is gone now, and are forming a potentially better team. Like I said I see only one way for them to go now, and it isnt up barring them showing real improvements which they havent since 2006 now.

And I bet you didnt see them skating cleanly at Worlds without Shen & Zhou and still finishing only 5th behind 4 pairs who made mistakes either.

20. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

"mind numbingly boring" :lol: The Zhangs shot themselves in the foot with that very poorly performed SP last season. They couldn't handle that style. They also didn't have any robot-like consistency (who does nowadays)... So some decline in PCS makes sense. But they still did very well, and were a top 5 team in everything except the GPF where they skated a relatively rough LP. Sure, they weren't a top 2 team, but the depth in pair skating was high with Shen/Zhao returning, Pang/Tong improving, Mukhortova/Trankov skating a little more consistently, etc.

And for the first time ever, I thought the Zhangs were a little underscored at Worlds. :lol: I thought they deserved top 4 once they skated well and Kavaguti/Smirnov kind of melted down. But K/S got some huge score to keep them ahead of M/T, I suppose.

The Zhangs' glaring weaknesses may allow other teams to pass them at certain competitions (thank goodness, because I used to find them ridiculously overscored), but I don't think we're going to see some dramatic and steady decline with them. Their presentation may be abysmal at times, but that won't be enough to throw them off the radar because they have more difficulty than basically everyone.

21. judgejudy27

Anyway here is how I see the events:

NHK- Pang & Tong win easily. Denney & Barrett favored for 2nd, possibly challenged by Barazova & Larionov and Inoue & Baldwin.

Skate Canada- Kavaguti & Smirnov the favorites. Dube & Davison possible challengers for the gold with home field advantage if K&S make mistakes. McLaughlin & Brubaker 3rd if they have come back from last season well, maybe 2nd if D&D skate poorly.

Cup of China- Pang & Tong win easily. Zhangs on home ice probably take 2nd easily.
    3rd to Evora & Ladwig or Lubov & Nodari.

Skate America- Savchenko & Szowkoly win easily. Denney & Barrett and McLaughlin & Brubaker battle for 2nd on home ice.

Russia- Kavaguti & Smirnov the heavy favorites on their home ice. Dube & Davison 2nd.
    Evora & Ladwig challenging for 2nd or 3rd.

Eric Bompard- Savchenko & Szowkoly win easily. Zhangs 2nd, and Barazova & Larianov 3rd.

OK I hadnt notice how weak the Zhangs assignments are so yes they will probably make the final with two 2nd place finishes unless the have a bad skate at Eric Bompard and drop to 3rd or 4th there (even if they skate badly at Cup of China they will be held up to still finish 2nd). Still I dont forsee them being a big threat this coming season.

For the other spot I would say Denney & Barret. They pretty much only need to beat their teammates and I except they will manage that.

22. haribobo

Exactly. You said it very well.

Berton/Hotarek, M-T/Moscovitch, some Russian teams, Sui/Han could challenge for medals in those GP events also.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  23. judgejudy27

We may not see a dramatic decline with the Zhangs but we will see a steady one IMO. And if they decline any further from what they dropped to last season I see them retiring before the 2014 Games. I would be very surprised if they are on a World podium again.

I also dont agree they have the most difficulty. Kavaguti & Smirnov and Savchenko & Szowkoly do more difficulty even though they rarely do it all clean (neither team has to in order to beat the Zhangs at this point though).