2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Vuvuzelas at the ready!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Ok here is the WC thread but I am sorry for the title. It is the best I can come up with. LOL First up at around 9:45am Toronto time is Mexico vs South Africa. unfortunately Mandela will not be there because of the recent death of his great granddaughter. Condolences to him and his family.

2. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Anybody else watching the Opening Ceremony?

Seeing Archbishop Desmond Tutu dancing to South African hiphop has made my afternoon. :lol:

3. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Wheeeeeee great to see a packed opening ceremony :)

r kelly and Soweto Spiritual Singers :p

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Now that title sounds waay better than mine. LOL Thanks Allezfred. :) They are showing the Bafana Bafana and Mexican teams coming off the bus. :) Can hardly wait! :cheer2:

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is a special on Robin Island on CBC right now, and how the prisoners loved the play football/soccer.

The driver of the car which overtuned and killed Zenani Mandela has been charged with drunk driving and may be charged with culpable homicide. Zenani turned 13 on June 9th, and as a result of this tragedy Mandela will not be at the opening game.

http://www.freep.com/article/201006...nddaughter-casts-shadow-over-World-Cup-opener

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Mine too :cheer:

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Several countries which placed 3rd at the WC did not qualify for this tournament and they are; Turkey (2002), Croatia (1998), and Sweden (1994), Poland (1982).

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

It is about to start!!!!! :cheer2:

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Mexico almost scores in the second minute ;)

10. allezfred

11. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Scoreless at the half. Such manners. Nobody wants to be the first to score for '10.

enquiring minds want to know ... who's arizona rooting for this game?

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Giovanni Dos Santos is really good; lots of potential in that kid.

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

GOOOOL!
    and it goes to the hosts; great job! Bafana bafana :cheer:

14. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Final score: 1-1
    South Africa really deserved the win, IMO. That post hit will haunt Mphela for a while. Mexico was messy - their defense sucks & their goalkeeper is a complete joke. They really should've put in Chicharrito & Blanco earlier; they really made a difference in the last part of the second half.

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Wonderful game and SA just narrowly missed winning. For sure they have made their mark on the tournament. :cheer2:

16. fragoletta

fragoletta New Member

Yeah, it's here, the WC has started!!! :cheer2: Unfortunately, I couldn't watch the first game as I was at work :yawn: but I am officially opening the season tonight by going to a friend's house to see Uruguay-France, which should be a good game (at least I hope so or my sister would kill me for dragging her half way around the city :rofl:)

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

18. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Same shit as always with my country (Mexico)

unable to convert the goals and score when it has to count big time!

Today they played better than South Africa IMO, but soccer games are decided by the teams who score the most, not who ´deserved to score´ today was just mediocre performance based on the same failures we have historically, with players like Guillermo Franco, Paul Aguilar (who has family ties to Coach Javier Aguirre) being a completely joke in the lineup

Chicharito peaked some months ago, Giovanni dos Santos CAN´T DO EVERYTHING and Blanco is just past his time, too old to play beyond 40 minutes

Every 4 years we suffer from the same pain, today was just part of the same

Incredible that many, many many people in Mexico is ´celebrating´

I forbid my friends to even think about celebrating tonight

19. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

Everybody is writing that Giovanni do Santos is an amazing player that seems to have improved a lot, that México deserved a better result, and first matches against the host country are always very difficult, so I think there are good reasons to at least be satisfied and hopeful :)

20. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

I love World Cup summers! :cheer: The house opposite mine is decked in England Flags! :lol:

Hanna and (deleted member) like this.
  21. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Oh Braulio, relajate hermano! A tie was actually a good result when you look at Mexico as of late.

Wheee Uruguay :cheer: One of the best teams from Copa America from a few years ago :nopryde:

I want the USA to win this World Cup :hat1:

22. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

I am relaxed! trust me! LOL

Uruguay and France tied at zero atm

if this keeps until the end there will be again same chances for everybody in the group

23. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I really hope Uruguay and Mexico survive this group.

24. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

Red for France :cheer:

I don't think I'll see much of the first two Swiss games :(

25. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

Did you take the day off?

26. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I thought the Red was for Uruguay, and then another of their top players got a yellow at the very last minute. :fragile: Thank god they were able to get a point out of this match. A big bo ho to France. I bet they'll be the villains at this year's world cup :shuffle:

27. itsartemis

itsartemis Enjoy your doron, Daisuke!

:cheer2: the World Cup is underway. Watched the first match in full. Really happy that South-Africa scored the first goal of the cup, even though Mexico by far was the better team. :cheer:

France. :yawn: When they took Gourcuff off there was not much :grope: to look at any longer either. :(

The vuvuzela is going to make me go nuts. It is still ringing in my ears and this is only the first day. :yikes:
    Looking forward to the USA - England match tomorrow!!! :cheer:

28. allezfred

Eh, no. :lol:

TV in the office at lunchtime. ;)

29. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

The French are a mess. They have WAY too much talent to play as poorly as they did. Their idiot coach has them in a 3-5-1 formation and that leaves poor Anelka with no help. They looked more dangerous with Henry out there to be sure, but I bet their coach will keep him as a sub. But I wonder how they will score with this formation.

The Mexicans should have done better, but RSA exposed their defense on a number of times, plus their keeper Perez had himself out of position on a number of occaisions. The Tri's wont go far unless they can be more consistant. For example, Dos Santos was invisible in the second half, whereas he was very dangerous in the first. That may be because of the defensive sub of a LB that RSA made at the half, but a kid that good needs to find a way.

Uruguay can win this group if they can pot a goal or two. Their defense is very good. This should make the Mexicans and Frenchies very nervous...

30. Orable

Orable New Member

I got to see the France-Uruguay game in a big party in Daley Plaza in Chicago this afternoon (Stanley Cup? What, are you saying there was a parade today with 2 million teeming Chicagoans? Didn't notice :shuffle: ), hosted by the South African consulate :cheer: The French were out in droves, the Latinos supported Uruguay and the Africans represented. We all hung out in the heat-flash shower-heat, danced to K'naan at halftime and watched the game on a big screen. The experience was pretty fabulous, even if the game itself wasn't :p

Btw, some links to share:

1) If you missed yesterday's concert like I did, you can view it at this link in very good quality.
    2) Funniest Onion article ever about the lone American soccer fan. It may or may not have had me in tears while reading it this morning amidst a sea of loud, boorish, red-wearing Hawks fans invading my train :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.