2010 Eurovision Grand Final - That sounds douze to me!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Lena's "My Cassette Player" debut LP has entered the charts at number 1 selling a big amount of copies (don't remember the numbers) and is currently at number 2.

Since winning the preselections, she's become a massive star in Germany overnight.

I wonder how she's going to handle that, especially in the light of Rybak's total meltdown.
  2. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

While for some celebs constant attention that comes with fame inflates their egos, for others the effect might bring them to self-destruction.
    I hope Lena will be able to handle that, it is always sad to see that side of the price of fame.
  3. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Some news to make Eden and all of those on FSU who voted for Israel to win:

Israel sweeps Marcel Bezençon Awards

Meanwhile, this is how Australian TV viewers voted:

4. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Thanks, Allezfred! :cheer2:
    But as I've said on one of my previous posts, I wasn't surprise that Milim didn't do well in the voting for all kinds of reasons.
    I'm glad and proud that on FSU people judge only the music and not by these all kinds of reasons. :respec:
    So thanks ya all for picking Milim as FSU winner! :cheer2:
  5. Fata

Fata New Member

Honestly, I actually do believe that Lena really plans to compete next year. Would suit her. Though I don't think it is a good idea. Guess it will be very, very difficult to do something that is better (or at least at the same level) than what she showed in Oslo.

Stefan Raab, who discovered her, is really experienced in music/show business so I think he can help her with whatever will come now...at least I hope it as she's still a really young girl.

Oh by the way, I thought Germany was Middle Europe and Norway Northern Europe...but...well...sometimes I'm happy with people knowing at least that these countries are in Europe...:shuffle:
  6. itsartemis

itsartemis Enjoy your doron, Daisuke!

The always reliable Wikipedia.
  7. fragoletta

fragoletta New Member

8. allezfred

I really think the only factors that came into Israel not doing as well as expected was that Harel Skaat didn't sing as well as he could and that the song wasn't immediate enough for televoters.

You can't televote against a song after all.
  9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

10. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

I agree that this was only one of the many reasons.
  11. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

What are the other reasons?
  12. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Part of them are the same reasons for which Switzerland doesn't do so well either.
    I mean of course to the system 'You vote for me and I vote for You'.
    Cyprus to Greece - Greece to Cyprus;
    Former Yougoslavian countries are voting one to each other;
    The Scandinavians voting to each other;
    The same can be said about the Baltic countries, and the other former SU republics.

There is also the Diaspora votings, that is why country like Turkey is always doing so well in ESC. For the same reason Russia will always do well in Israel. There is a large Russian Jewish community there.

And there is also the political reason (but I consider it also as one of many other reasons), which sometimes can work in your favor and not only against you. ;)

So while I agree that Harel Skaat didn't perform his best in this ESC, I still don't think he would have done well.
    JMHO
  13. allezfred

First of all, I don't think you can compare Israel and Switzerland. Israel have qualified more often than not since the semis were introduced. Switzerland just once.

They like similar styles of music. It would be stranger if they didn't vote for each other.

Turkey does well in Eurovision recently because they send voter friendly songs and present them well. You can't put it down to diaspora voting as this year and last we have had 50/50 jury/televoting.

I think you're overreacting a bit. He qualified from the semi-final after a not great performance (like Ireland) and finished 14th with 71 points. You don't get 71 points without a lot of countries voting for you.

Ireland only got 25 points so don't go playing "My poor country" with me. :p
  14. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Fwiw..amongst the group I watched with by the time Harel Skaat came on he was just one more cute brunette male singing another mellow-ish tune. And of ALL the cute brunette males (and god there were many) the most memorable for us was the one with the guitar from Belgium. And he didn't do too badly. All of us watching were hearing and seeing the songs for the first time so I suppose you can read from that that he made no impression in the final and was just one of many.
  15. itsartemis

They give each other 12 points - no matter what kind of song they send.
    That is not true. This year:
    Sweden gave 0 points to Iceland, 4 to Norway and 8 to Denmark.
    Denmark gave 3 to Iceland and 5 to Norway.
    Iceland gave 0 to Norway but 12 to Denmark.
    Finland gave 0 to Norway, 2 to Denmark 5 to Iceland.

For me personally, I loved the song because I had heard it many times already and he'd always sung it much better than he did in the semi-final and in the final. The rest of the people at my party didn't like the song, so they didn't vote for Israel, and that was the only reason.
  16. MikiAndoFan#1

Don't forget Portugal to Spain - Spain to Portugal!

:scream:

We gave Spain a dozen, Spain gave us half-dozen!

:lol:
    Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  17. MikiAndoFan#1

This was not true this year. Check previous years and see what happened.
  18. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Catchy songs will always have more chances.
    Heck it took me few times to get used to Milim myself. :lol:
    It should have pased much more than once.

I actually don't go playing with "My poor country" at all, on the contrary I totally understand that. My point is that the voting became more sectorial in the past years, and that is why I totally didn't expect Israel to be the winner.
    This year it was much better due to the 50% of jury voting. But the only countries that let it actually influence them were, IMO, the Scandinavians as isartemis mentioned.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  19. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

That's cause I couldn't vote from Luxembourg :drama:
  20. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

UK wuz robbed :p

Oh god, I downloaded Lena from itunes today and cannot stop playing it!!! :scream:
  21. itsartemis

I'm telling you - it's a myth! ;)
  22. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

It's a catchy song, I find myself singing it all the time.
    Wonder how many of Lena look alike we will see in the next ESC.
    If she participates too, we will be able to actually compare them live.
    LOL, now that explains it all. :lol:
  23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Whilst it was pretty, I found it extremely dull, it hardly changed from start to finish other than increasing in intensity.

And he didn't sing as well as he could (although the final was much better than the semi).
  24. MikiAndoFan#1

You didn't check, did you?

:shuffle:

I'm telling you, it's what happens.
  25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

How did they factor in the jury votes? I saw the country audience votes and that seemed to be the only thing they were tallying on the votes board. How were the jury votes counted?
  26. allezfred

What you saw being tallied on the scoreboard was a combination of televoting and jury votes (50% each). The juries voted on the dress rehearsal the night before.

Looking forward to seeing which city will be chosen to host next year and who will present. Perhaps Marlene Charrell again? :p

If our participation is confirmed, this will actually be the first time that Ireland competes in an ESC in Germany as we weren't in it in 1957 and had to withdraw in 1983 due to financial reasons. Here's hoping we can qualify to the final. :drama:
  27. itsartemis

You didn't catch the irony in my post?

The juries voted after having watched the final dress rehearsal, which was at 1PM on Saturday.
    Same as last year.
  28. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

:drama: Maybe the US should be allowed to vote :p

Anyway, I had Apricote Stone in my head aaaaaaaall day yesterday. I'm happy this is no longer the case today.

So it isn't sure it's gonna be in Berlin?
  29. Hedwig

Hedwig New Member

Lena is from Hannover (wheee, local girl for me) so it is speculated to do it in Hannover next year. Then the FSU Eurovision party can take place at my house. :lol:
    Berlin or Hamburg are the other alternatives but nothing is decided yet.
  30. MikiAndoFan#1

No, I didn't.

:cold:
  31. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Or to participate.
  32. itsartemis

Yeah, like Dick Button competing for USA at the European championship in 1948. :lol:
  33. allezfred

:cheer2:
  34. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

I would be happy just to have it on US TeeVee. Besides, I don’t know how many rude ‘mericans would get ESC. ;)
  35. MikiAndoFan#1

Is it time to start a "Eurovision 2011" thread or is it too early?

:p

Well, the following countries have confirmed their participation for next year: Azerbaijan, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Malta, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey and Ukraine.

:cheer2:

Austria and Hungary are undecided and Liechtenstein might make its debut!

:D
  36. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Not surprising Poland isn't confirmed after the results we've had in the last several years. :D
  37. MikiAndoFan#1

Edyta for 2011, please!

:drama:
  38. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She probably considers herself far too good for it. Her ego is massive. And it's just been boosted by her getting 70kPLN for her 20th anniversary show she's just done for one private tv network (that's over 20k$ or almost 17k€).

To return to Sweden not making the final, which was seen as a national disaster, Salem Al-Fakir that definitely should have won Melodifestivalen ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBREf1tUUZE ) would have surely done much better.

A few days ago, I've finally listened to the Alcazar song for the first time and it's wonderful, camp fun! Shame it didn't even make it to the final. :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6781otEQKSY&
  39. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Best Week Ever did its part to pump up the gaudy fabulousness of Eurovision to Americans.

Ah but alas, such an endeavor is likely a waste of ink on the American public ... akin to other lost causes like soccer. :shuffle:

10 Reasons Americans Should Be Obsessed with Eurovision

40. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Two factual errors in that piece. Tsk tsk!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.