2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, May 10, 2010.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Top 5- byes to Nationals
    Flatt, Nagasu, Cohen, Wagner, Gao

Next 5- likely GP spots and possible byes to Nationals
    Amanda Dobbs, Alexe Gilles, Emily Hughes?, Alissa Czisny, Caroline Zhang

EAST
    Melissa Bulanhagui, Samantha Cesario, Blake Rosenthal, Rebecca Stern, Angela Maxwell (or Mids?), Kristine Musademba, Taylor Firth, Yasmin Siraj*, Kendall Wyckoff*

MIDS
    Becky Bereswill, Agnes Zawadzki*, Kiri Baga*, Marissa Secundy*, Molly Oberstar

PAC
    Laney Diggs, Kristiene Gong, Ellie Kawamura, Karen Zhou, Lindsay Davis*, Angela Wang*, Vanessa Lam*

----------------

* indicate the 2010 Juniors- not all the juniors will move up, but I suspect several of them will. Several of these will be on JGP and may get byes if they make JGPF.

Anyone I am missing?

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Kimmie, if she comes back may get SA and have to compete at sectionals to qualify for nationals considering Emily had to do regionals this year. Kimmie would compete at Easterns if she does in fact come back and doesn't get two GP events. Also, Cesario may compete on JGP and if she does well she may get a bye to nationals.

3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Mids -- I believe Kiri Baga is staying junior another season, but I'm not entirely sure. Also, Molly Oberstar is no longer skating competitively, IIRC.

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

It's nice to know Sasha is staying another season!

:cheer2:

I hope Kimmie comes back. She's had so many injuries and I feel she really deserves to compete again.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

We don't know this for sure yet.

Yasmin Siraj already has tested up to Senior in the US. I believe Blake Rosenthal is retiring (heard she will enter Harvard this fall).

6. pinky166

My guess is Kiri will do another season on the JGP but compete as a senior at nationals. She might as well, that way she will have already made her debut for 2011 nationals when her goal will likely be to make the world team. Maybe she wants to win the junior title though? In which case she'd compete junior at nationals again, but I don't really see that happening.

7. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

ITA. I'd love to see her compete at nationals again. I read this recently on Icenetwork...

Sounds like she's definitely planning on a comeback. :)

8. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I wonder if Melissa B is bringing back the 3A now that there's more incentive to do so even if it's underrotated?

9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I bet Sasha's not coming back when she didn't even show up to most of her events last season.

10. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It will be interesting to see if she gets Grand Prix assignments ...........
    .... and then how much we argue about whether she deserves them. :argue:

11. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Joelle Forte has registered for SP and FS at Liberty in July (coach is Elaine Zayak). My guess is she wouldn't enter summer comps unless she was planning to compete for the entire season.....question is, for what country? :confused:

12. haribobo

Probably Joelle is coming back to skate for US- I'm sure she learned her lesson about AZE and to go for another country would be really nuts. If she and Kimmie are back at Easterns, I hope that some of Melissa Bulanhagui, Samantha Cesario, Angela Maxwell, and Kristine Musademba get some conflicting assignments to thin out the field at Easterns a bit.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's really sad, she just wanted a chance to be able to compete internationally, submitted all the papers she was supposed to and they just ignored her it seems.

14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I thought Angela Maxwell was Mids, guess not?

Oh, something else I noticed from the Liberty entries - Zawadzki and Secundy are both signed up for Senior, so I assume both are moving up. Ashley Wagner is signed up for the SP.

No sign of Yasmin Siraj, yet. Or Kimmie.

Senior Ladies at Liberty may actually be interesting this year. :)

15. chipso1

Maxwell represents the SC of New York now, so she would be skating at Easterns.

16. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Aside from a couple that may or may not develop into something special I think that the ladies are medicore at best. I will give exception to Mirai who I believe has yet to really hit her stride.

17. pinky166

I tend to think Cesario will get JGP assignments and Maxwell and Musademba could get a Senior B and maybe a GP too so idk if that would give them a bye out of sectionals but it might.

18. longingfornia

longingfornia New Member

Sasha would Def be a huge threat to be US National Champ if she is injury free

19. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

What about Taylor Firth? I know she's listed on IceParterSearch but has she said for sure whether she's officially done with singles? She'd be Easterns, too.

20. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

From what I know of the rules, I don't think Sasha can get Grand Prix assignments.........
    Of course, she couldn't get any last year either. :confused:

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I am sure Sasha Cohen could get 2 grand prix assignments like Wagner did last season when she was the U.S. pewter medalist (Wagner was also world junior bronze medalist).

22. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

There's also DeeDee Leng out of mids (she was injured for last year's qualifying competitions).

23. haribobo

Then you need to read the rules again....

24. chipso1

Why wouldn't she be able to get any GP assignments? She's ranked #4 in the U.S. If she wants to compete on the GP, then the USFS will make sure she's included.

25. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

She can probably get Skate America, but I don't think she will get another invitation after what happened last year.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Updates...

Top 5 from 2010 Nationals (automatic byes to 2011 Nationals): Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner, Cohen (status?), Gao.

Grand Prix-eligible/possible bye through Regionals and/or Sectionals: Amanda Dobbs, Alexe Gilles, Alissa Czisny, Caroline Zhang (all but Gilles are guaranteed at least one GP event);
    Bebe Liang - retiring;
    Emily Hughes - retiring to focus on college (hearsay).

* = Juniors at 2010 Nationals (competing at Senior this summer doesn't guarantee they will move up -- they officially will become Senior only after they've passed their Senior FS test)

EASTERN
    Melissa Bulanhagui, Samantha Cesario, Yasmin Siraj* (has passed her Sr. FS test), Joelle Forte (back to US?) - registered for Liberty in July;
    Felicia Zhang* - registered for Senior at Chesapeake Open in June (SP only), also Joelle Forte;
    Rebecca Stern, Angela Maxwell (or Mids?), Kristine Musademba, Taylor Firth, Kendall Wyckoff*, Kimmie Meissner, Taylor Firth - status unknown at this time;
    Haley Dunne* - registered for Junior at Chesapeake and Liberty;
    Blake Rosenthal - retiring, off to college.

MIDWESTERN
    Agnes Zawadzki*, Marissa Secundy* - registered for Senior at Liberty (also Broadmoor Open in late June?);
    Kiri Baga* - registered for Senior at a Minnesota club comp. in late June;
    Becky Bereswill - planning to continue in singles & starting pairs;
    Chelsea Morrow, Christina-Maria Sperduto - both already have competed Senior this season;
    Tatyana Khazova, Kayla Howey, DeeDee Leng - status unknown at this time;
    Molly Oberstar - retiring;
    Nina Jiang* - competed Junior at a recent TX club comp. & registered for Junior at Liberty;
    McKinzie Daniels* - registered for Junior at Liberty.

PACIFIC COAST
    Kristiene Gong, Ellie Kawamura, Karen Zhou;
    Lindsay Davis* - assume she is moving up, has resumed training in Senior Pairs;
    Angela Wang* - registered for Junior at Liberty;
    Vanessa Lam* - registered for Senior FS at a SoCal club comp. in June;
    Katlynn McNab* - assume she is staying Junior?;
    Laney Diggs - taking time off (possibly entire season?).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  27. pinky166

So Kiri is going to compete as a senior at nationals, yes? Sounds like it based on the fact she's signed up to compete as a senior at upcoming competitions.I assume she will do another season on the JGP though, unless she requested SGP (she's old enough), but somehow I doubt it as then she'd likely only get 1 assignment.

Any word on whether Agnes decided on JGP or SGP for the upcoming season?

Oh and it was said in an interview that Yasmn Siraj will compete in the senior ladies division at nationals in the coming season.

A lot of these girls probably won't be at sectionals though, I assume a fair number will get JGP assignments and if a skater gets 2 assignments then she doesn't have to go to sectionals right? It seems fairly likely that Baga, Siraj, Cesario, Jiang, Davis, Zawadzki if she doesn't do SGP, will get at least 1 if not 2 JGP assingments, along with maybe Angela Wang or the novice girls who were 2 and 3, or some other random senior lady.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  28. chipso1

Not necessarily. Only if they make the JGPF or their JGP event falls within a one-week period of Sectionals. The three USFS Sectional Championships are scheduled for November 9-13, 2010, while the last JGP event in the Czech Republic wraps up October 17, 2010.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

chipso1 is correct.

For the past several seasons, U.S. singles skaters assigned to a 2nd JGP have been receiving a bye through their respective Regionals in October (not Sectionals in November).

30. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Is it possible for a skater to get 2 GP assignments, and still have to do Regionals and/or Sectionals?