2010-2011 U.S. Junior Ladies & JGP assignments discussion

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Aug 28, 2010.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

But last year 5 girls DID get a 2nd assignment - Gao, Maxwell, Baga, Kawamura, and Musademba. I had forgotten about Musademba but she won her 1st event and bombed the 2nd, I thought it was the other way around.

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

US had three great years in jgp: 06-09, so comparably speaking, 09-10 was "less successful". ;)

Though I must say back when Kim/Asada were in the junior circuit, US girls didn't have great showings. 05-06 wasn't a great year either, if you look at how many US girls placed in the jgp and the jgp final

3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Musademba "bombed" her 2nd event because she was injured. She ended up competing watered-down programs at Sectionals, placed 4th, and then withdrew from Nationals.

It's impossible to predict after one event, but I agree with jlai that anywhere from 2-4 girls will probably not get second events.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Maxwell was 3rd behind Nagasu and Gilles at the Lake Placid JGP in 2007 and only the top 2 U.S. skaters of the 3 were guaranteed a 2nd assignment if they placed high enough (the cutoff for a 2nd JGP was 4th or higher for the singles skaters in the 7 other JGPs after Lake Placid that year). I recall quite a bit of lively discussion on this board about Maxwell not getting a 2nd JGP...

Alba was a late replacement in the 2nd JGP for an injured Bulanhagui that year (2007). There were a total of 17 U.S. ladies JGP slots --7 received 2 JGPs apiece and 3 (Maxwell, Alba, Bulanhagui) received 1 each. 5 US ladies made the Final with Nagasu winning gold and Flatt silver.

5 U.S. ladies had 1 JGP assignment apiece -- Firth (5th at Lake Placid), Leng (7th at LP), Zhou (5th at POL), Diggs (13th at BLR), and Gong (4th at BLR). There was quite a lot of discussion about Gong not getting a 2nd last year...

5. jlai

jlai Title-less

Yes, I still remember the discussion on that one. :)

OTOH, the discussion on Gong kind of slipped my mind.

6. pinky166

I don't see how having four US girls make the JGPF is not successful, especially considering it could potentially have been 5 US girls at the final had Musademba not gotten injured. The results at the final may not have been great, but it was still impressive that so many qualified.

I'm just wondering what will happen if say Davis, Baga, Gong, all finish 5th in their first event, and Nina has already finished 5th in her first event, what the USFSA would do. Maybe would it open up a bunch of spots for other ladies to go? If those 4 girls all finish 5th, which seems very plausible finishes for all of them given the depth of the field, maybe none of them will get a 2nd assignment and then skaters like Wang, Cain, Kulgeyko, Zhang will all be given the opportunity to go to a JGP this season. That seems like a less controversial way to do it rather than chose some ladies with the same finish to get a 2nd event but not others. I remember last year thinking it was odd how Ellie got a 2nd assignment and Kristene didn't, even though they both finished 4th at their first events and Kristene actually had a higher competition score (123+) than Ellie (120+). But maybe Ellie was at an advantage because she competed at the first JGP of the season?

7. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Like I said, the system isn't perfect and there's no way to be completely fair. I'm sure the skaters know this.

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

That's why I put "less successful" in quotes. ;)

Just the top of my head, it's been that way for a while--the first jgp picks getting priority over the jgp alternates who got assigned late if first jgp placements are the same.

I can't go back to check right now but Sasha Cohen got a late assignment one year because of injury issues, so despite winning her jgp, didn't get a second assignment. (Disclaimer: this is based on my foggy memory.)

ETA: I think it was 2000, and Sasha won the 5th jgp. But again, going by memory...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  9. pinky166

The same thing happened in Russia last year. Sofia Burikova won silver at the first JGP she went to, but because it was either the last or 2nd to last JGP of the season, she didn't get a 2nd event even though skaters like Anna and Roza who placed 5th at their first events got 2 assignments because they had earlier assignments.

10. Eris

Eris New Member

Who wanted a spot for Angela Wang?) She replaces Gao in Japan: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007114.htm
    Christina's first start is Brasov - and it's directly before the JGP in Japan. I think it's wise decision to withdraw her :) I'm sure she'll get another spot somewhere else.

11. pinky166

I thought Christina was competing in Graz, not Brasov. Maybe I'm mistaken?

12. Eris

Eris New Member

No, you're not, that's my mistake, sorry :shuffle: Of course, Graz. But other points are still true.

13. Sylvia

HURRAY that Angela Wang officially got her first-ever JGP assignment! :cheer:

Eris, Gao was listed just as a 'placeholder' on the initial JGP Japan roster that was published online -- her getting a 2nd assignment will depend on how she places in her first JGP in Graz, Austria. Here's what I posted earlier in the Kiss and Cry forum:

14. pinky166

That's really exciting for Angela. I think she could probably medal at that event.

15. Eris

Eris New Member

Oh, Sylvia, thank you, I miss that fact.:shuffle: Anyway, it's better for Christina not to compete in Japan.

16. Sylvia

Moved the following 4 posts from the JGP Japan thread in Kiss and Cry because I think it's more relevant here ;):
    However, Siraj theoretically could have been sent to Japan instead of Wang. ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  17. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I believe they did deviate a bit...they could have not assigned Wang at all and just reassigned everyone that placed higher than her in Spokane. The previous year USFSA only assigned the top 4 Juniors at Nationals (Leng, Kawamura, Gao, and Gong). Wyckoff, Cesario, and Dobbs were not.

18. pinky166

I would assume Angela was assigned to the JGP this far in advance because of her great performances at summer competitions. I know Agnes did great at summer comps last year and didn't go to the JGP, but she also didn't qualify for nationals; Angela qualified for and competed at nationals, she just had a rough FS there.

19. pinky166

:confused: Why? Because she coaches under Orser? Or because she is Chinese? :rolleyes:

20. Sylvia

I read Eris' post simply as meaning it was better/more logical for Gao not to compete in back-to-back weeks (Austria then Japan). ETA: For the record, Gao was never officially assigned to Japan but Eris didn't know this and that's why I posted an explanation. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  21. Sylvia

There really is no "set formula" for JGP selection from year to year because the fields at Nationals (Senior/Junior/Novice) can vary in depth, in the number of JGP age-eligible Senior ladies and Senior/Junior men, in the level of technical difficulty attempted/executed in programs, etc. Another thing to keep in mind is that the USFS' selection committee (ICMS) usually changes a few voting members each year, and so a change of personnel often can result in different "philosophies" of selection.

22. Eris

Eris New Member

Yes, you completely understand me.:)

23. Sylvia

Moved these posts from the Golden West club competition thread in the Kiss and Cry forum because it's relevant to the discussion here. :)

Leah Keiser and Courtney Hicks placed 1-2 in the Junior Ladies event at Golden West this past weekend. Keiser's total score was 146.14 (51.41, 1st in SP + 94.73, 2nd in FS) and Hicks' was 145.71 (49.21, 2nd in SP + 96.50, 1st in FS).
    Courtney Hicks was 5th in Novice Ladies at 2010 U.S. Nationals and will turn 15 in December. She is not listed in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP), so it's unlikely she will be considered for a JGP this year. She switched coaches to John Nicks this season.

Vanessa Lam, who turned 15 this past June, is in the ISP due to her 8th place finish in Junior Ladies at 2010 Nationals. She and Felicia Zhang (6th in Junior at Nationals) are the likely next 2 in line for a JGP spot if one opens up. With Yasmin Siraj due for a 2nd assignment (#5 in Sheffield, I assume), that means there are 5 spots left and 6 ladies still to compete (Cesario and Gong in Romania this week, Gao and Davis in Austria next week, and Baga and Wang in Japan the week after that).

24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answer, Sylvia! Courtney has improved a lot this summer.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the Junior competition at Nationals could be really exciting, with Hicks, Keiser, Wang, Gold, Jiang and Daniels all doing well so far this season.

25. Sylvia

Here's what was posted in the Senior Ladies thread about two of the more competitive-looking Junior Ladies fields at Regionals:
    Here's the Scoretracker for Junior Ladies (more updates will be coming soon): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/2010-2011-junior-ladies-results/

If Mary Beth Marley (UGL) elects to compete in singles at Regionals, she may end up in SWP because of her new Senior pairs partnership with Rockne Brubaker (Pacific Coast Sectionals).

Victoria Hecht (SWP) competed for Hungary last season in pairs (JGP and Europeans) -- I assume she may be able to compete in singles at Regionals this season because it's a different discipline?

Nina Jiang's ISU scores at JGP Courchevel -- 48.06 (SP) + 83.02 (FS) = 131.08 -- have been added to Scoretracker since it's her high score so far this season.

Katja Gorodetsky (SW) is registered to compete Novice at this weekend's club comp. in Colorado so it's likely that she is dropping back down for Regionals.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  26. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I thought Daniels was UGL... has she changed regions?

27. Sylvia

Yes, Daniels has switched to Broadmoor SC.

Yes. Jiang's JGP assignment (Aug. 23-28) was held well over a month before SW Regionals (Oct. 15-19). For the past several years, a second JGP assignment for singles skaters has resulted in a bye through Regionals (no matter what the dates of the JGP and Regional are), which I think is fair and logical.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  28. pinky166

Ok, well she should make it through regionals no problem, i'm just surprised she has to go.

29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Vanessa LAM is now listed as an alternate for the JGP. :cheer2:

30. jlai

jlai Title-less

Upsets do happen in competitions. All it takes is for the favorites to have a bad skating day