2010-11 US Pairs

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, May 9, 2010.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Top 5-Definite bye to Nationals
    Denney/Barrett
    Evora/Ladwig
    McLaughlin/Brubaker
    (Inoue/Baldwin? :eek: )
    ---------

Also from 2010 Nationals
    Yankowskas/Coughlin
    Moyle/Pottenger
    Castelli/Shnapir
    Aaron/Cohen
    Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin
    Amanda Dobbs/Joseph Jacobsen

Missed Nationals but still around
    Katz/Lynch

Juniors likely to move up
    Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller
    Erika Choi Smith/Nathan Bartholomay
    Brynn Carman /AJ Reiss
    Felicia Zhang/Taylor Toth

New teams
    Becky Bereswill/Trevor Young
    ?/Meekins
    ?/Leftheris

Anyone I'm missing/forgot?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  2. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

I would expect Brynn Carman /AJ Reiss to stay junior. They are young and haven't medaled at junior yet. There would be no reason for them to move up.

If they are still together I would expect Brittany Chase/Grant Marron and Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff to move up to senior as they are not junior age eligible and did reasonably well last year.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's a new Denney/Barrett article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100528&content_id=10525238&vkey=ice_news

Currently registered for the Senior Pairs event at Liberty in July:
    Molly Aaron/Daniyel Cohen S9
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir S10 (FS only)
    Felicia Zhang/Taylor Toth J1
    Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller J2
    Erika Choi Smith/Nathan Bartholomay J3
    Brittany Chase/Grant Marron J6
    Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff J8

ETA: Even though it hasn't been "officially" announced, I've been reliably informed that Lindsay Davis is skating Senior Pairs with Themi Leftheris (coached by Peter Oppegard). Davis won the 2010 Junior Ladies bronze medal and is continuing in singles, AFAIK.

Here's a Zhang/Toth article from April: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/042510.shtml

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

5. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

I love the song choice! I cant wait to hear what they have picked for their short.

6. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

Any word if Chau or Tanovich have found or looking for new partners?

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Rhapsody in Snoooooozzzeeee. . . . woulda been nice if D/B had picked something less overused, but oh well.

Where, oh where, is a partner for Drew Meekins???

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That is a terrible music choice for Denney/Barrett. :yawn:

Great to hear Themi has got a partner though. Thanks Sylvia! :)

9. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I think it's a positive step that they have another choreographer to work with them. That's what many of us wished for Denny/Barrett. Now I'm hoping for a top 5 or 6 placement at Worlds for them. If McBru get their act together and make the World team thisupcoming year, good for them. I want a real contest in Pairs at USA Nationals next season.

10. madm

madm Active Member

Another senior pair continuing on is Moore/Gaumond. Does Chris Knierim have a new partner, and will they compete junior or senior?

11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that they are specifically working with someone on a specific SS. It can only help...

12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled that D/B are working with an outside choreographer! Rhapsody in Blue doesn't thrill me, but I can get over it. I hope they have a great season! :cheer2:

13. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I don't think this is new... They worked with her last season as well. I remember reading about it during Nationals.

14. Sylvia

I'm listing the NEW Junior and Novice pair teams that I know about so far...

Cassie Andrews & Timothy LeDuc (he has relocated from Iowa to Indianapolis; they are JGP age-eligible under current ISU rules) - registered for the Junior SP at Liberty.

Kloe Bautista & Tyler Harris (she has relocated from southern California to Boston; they are not JGP age-eligible) - registered for Junior SP and FS at Liberty.

Haven Denney & Daniel O'Shea (he has relocated from Chicago to Florida; they are JGP age-eligible).

Kaitlin Budd & Grisha Fournier are a new Novice or Junior team (he has relocated from southern California to Troy, Michigan; they are JGP age-eligible), according to Fournier's site: http://grishafournier.com/

A new Novice team (JGP age-eligible) is Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage (both have relocated from Arizona to Colorado Springs) - they're registered for Liberty. This new pairing is also confirmed on Settlage's site: http://maxsettlage.com/

Trivia gleaned from their sites: Fournier was adopted from Russia at the age of 8 and Settlage was adopted from Vietnam when he was 1. :cool:

15. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Wonder what's going on with McBru these days? I really hope they have gotten their heads together and come back strong this coming season. My heart really broke for them last season, I thought they had a great free skate, fit them so well, and it's a shame they weren't able to really rock it like they should have. I wouldn't mind them keeping that long program, it really deserves to be skated well like I know they are capable of. Wishing them good luck for this year!

16. Sylvia

McLaughlin/Brubaker’s next scheduled public skating appearance is the “Skate For Hope” benefit show on June 19th (Yankowskas/Coughlin is the other headliner pair) – link to the event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73673

I posted the link to the May 30th Houston Chronicle article on Becky Bereswill starting pairs in the Bereswill/Young thread in GSD.

Here’s a Mark Ladwig article (June 8th): Hoping the Fairy tale will continue.

17. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

Just copying over a post from the Grand Prix thread regarding Rockne Brubaker:

18. Sylvia

I checked online and September 1, 2010 is the application deadline for all skaters and teams that intend to compete in the U.S. Nationals qualifying system in the 2010-11 season (including those with byes to 2011 Nationals).

Thread in GSD where McLaughlin/Brubaker's split was officially announced on 6/22: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74035

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  19. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

That's a little over 2 months. Not much time. :(

EDIT : But if I understand the convoluted Grand Prix rules, it's still possible in theory for Rockne to find another partner and skate in the GP, thereby preserving his bye to Nationals.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  20. HisWeirness

In theory yes, but in reality, it is impossible because he would have had to have partnered with someone American and amazing with an established elite reputation that "clicked" well with him from the start back in February, then put together programs, train, and have great summer results to probably be even considered as a TBA pick for Skate America. I doubt that any other GP federation would have picked the new pair for a partnership.

From what I understand, a GP assignment is not an automatic Nationals bye. There needs to be a conflict with regionals/sectionals and/or a special bye given by USFSA.

21. haribobo

Eh, not impossible. Just highly improbable. If he already has been working with a new partner that we don't know about yet, and they use last year's programs so only she would have to learn them.......who knows....

22. Sylvia

Byes to 2011 Nationals (top 5 at 2010 Nationals):
    Denney/Barrett S1 (NHK & Skate America)
    Evora/Ladwig S2 (China & Russia)
    Inoue/Baldwin S3 (NHK)

Projected Byes to 2011 Nationals (GP timing conflict):
    Yankowskas/Coughlin S6 (China)
    Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller J2 (Russia)

Scheduled currently to compete at Sectionals (known teams):
    Amanda Dobbs/Joseph Jacobsen S7 (Coasts)
    Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin S8 (Mids or Coasts)
    Molly Aaron/Daniyel Cohen S9 (Coasts or Easterns)
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir S10 (Skate Canada; Easterns)
    Kendra Moyle/Steven Pottenger S13 (Mids)
    Lisa Moore/Justin Gaumond S15 (Mids or Coasts)
    Chloe Katz/Joseph Lynch S-wd (Easterns)
    Felicia Zhang/Taylor Toth J1 (Easterns)
    Erika Choi Smith/Nathan Bartholomay J3 (Easterns)
    Brittany Chase/Grant Marron J6 (Mids or Coasts)
    Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff J8 (Easterns or Mids)
    Lindsay Davis/Themi Leftheris (new team; Coasts)
    Becky Bereswill/Trevor Young (new team; Mids)

There are currently 2 TBA pair spots at Skate America and an unknown number of Senior B pair spots.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  23. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I'm not sure. Officially, those are the rules. But I have heard that there is some unofficial policy that skaters with 2 GP events are not forced to do regionals / sectionals. Of course, one exception proves me wrong.

24. HisWeirness

Yeah, that is the special bye/exception I mentioned. I remember in past seasons it was given for having to travel internationally to GPs or Senior Bs. I think 2 GPs almost always gets one out of qualifying for nationals because of the excessive travel conflicts.

25. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I have been racking my brain here trying to figure out how Rockne can keep his bye to Nationals. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way.

26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

He can't keep the bye he and Keauna earned for placing in the top 5 at 2010 Nationals.

He would have to earn a new bye for a different reason if he were to have one with a new partner. As you note, that's unlikely this year, considering that a new partnership doesn't exist yet.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  27. haribobo

:lol::wall::p:rofl:

28. Sylvia

I've been informed about a new Junior pair team: Lauren Gifford and Craig Norris, coached by Todd Sand and Jenni Meno in southern California. Gifford was 4th in Novice Pairs at Nationals 2 years ago and 10th in Novice this past season with Timothy LeDuc. Norris was 5th in Novice Pairs at Pacific Coast Sectionals this past season with Madeline Aaron. Gifford/Norris are a mirror pair (Norris rotates clockwise) and they have one year of ISU Junior age-eligiblity this season (he is 20).

It's difficult right now to predict how the Junior Pairs field will look at Sectionals because some of the Novice pairs that are competing Junior this summer (looking for a JGP assignment) may drop back down to Novice for Sectionals, like several teams did last season.

Carman/Reiss J5 (Coasts last year)
    Cain/Reagan N1 (Mids)
    Garza/Frazier N3 (Coasts last year; training in CO)
    Duarte/Grafton N4 (Easterns last year; training in CO now)
    Oltmanns/Santillan N6 (Mids last year; he belongs to a Coasts club)
    Guterres/Schumann N7 (Coasts)
    Agster/Civiello N8 (Coasts)
    Sowa/Leenen N9 (Easterns)

New Junior teams known so far:
    H. Denney/O'Shea (Easterns; he belongs to a Mids club)
    Andrews/LeDuc (Mids)
    Bautista/Harris (Coasts or Easterns; training in MA)
    Gifford/Norris (Mids or Coasts; training in CA)

29. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I am bummed like everyone else about Rockne and Keauna - they had so much potential to me and was looking forward to their future.
    I do enjoy Caydee and Jeremy, but am now hoping that Evora & Ladwig are national champs this year - they have worked so hard and developed so much. Caydee & Jeremy can win in future years again.

30. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Nope...no way. The bye goes bye bye.