2010-11 Skate Canada National Team(s)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2. Sylvia

Nine singles skaters (ages 13-16) will participate in the 2010 National Development Camp, April 23-25, in Toronto -- link to press release: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/press_room/news_releases/2010/apr19-10.cfm

ETA -- the 9 are:
    Kimberly Moon-Chong, 13 [N1]
    Natasha Purich, 14 [N2]
    Jane Gray, 15 [N3]
    Rachel Greben, 13 [N4]
    Eri Nishimura, 15 [J1]
    Samuel Angers, 16 [N2]
    Peter O'Brien, 15 [N3]
    Shane Firus, 16 [N7]
    Jack Kermezian, 16 [N5]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

No idea why, it's just what is says on their website.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/athletes/national_teams/athlete_selection/

4. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Perhaps SC doesn't want Jr assignments to be limited to just the few who place well at Nationals. Given how skaters can change so much between Junior and Senior, this might not be a bad idea as some lower ranked skaters 'blossom' and show promise missing almost a year earlier.

5. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I guess that squashes the Craig Buntin retirement rumors (for now), since he and Meagan are listed. YAY!!

6. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

It looks like they've just listed the top 5 finishers in each discipline from Nationals. It doesn't mean they're all continuing; there may be retirements.

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

I believe it has to do with the changes to the competition structure arising from the new LTAD model.

Does anyone know if the vacant spots left by the retiring teams/skaters will be filled?

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Does this mean Kate Charobonneau will be doing another season as a junior? I assumed she'd be moving up to the senior level where she is 17 but I guess not.

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Charbonneau has nothing to gain from moving up at this point, IMO. Doing another season of the JGP, coming in as a "name" and improving her consistency with the harder jumps will help her a lot, I think. As nice as her skating is, artistically she's rather bland, so she can grow as a performer as well - she certainly has the potential. If she did the GP, she'd be stuck with bad draws and low PCS.

10. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

True. I just see her as a better skater than Szmiett and Samson at this point, even though they beat her at nationals.

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Charbonneau is 47th on the ISU World Standings list and 39th on the Seasons Best list. She would be unlikely to receive GP invitations anyway. She can accrue better standings and more ISU points on the JGP circuit while working on presentation, and she might make it to the JGPF.

12. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i thought that too then I remembered the announcements right before the season began =( I have a sneaky feeling he is not coming back but I hope I am wrong!

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why rumours? Craig Buntin has confirmed his retirement after the Olympic season a while ago. In fact, I don't think that he ever intended to compete beyond 2012 and it's something Meagan has been aware of all along.

From what I heard, Duhamel has teamed up with Eric Radford.

Top 5 finishers from Canadian Nationals have been simply listed. It'll surely be amended eventually.

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I hope Shawn Sawyer stayyyyssssss.. pleaseeeeeeeeeee

15. Sylvia

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, there's a note as follows:

* Effective the 2010/2011 season, the Junior National Team will no longer be selected as per our new competition structure and focus on long-term athlete development.

16. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in....Patrick Chan has entered both SP and FS at Liberty (July 16-17, Aston, PA), where he's competed for the past few years. I was hoping he'd still come even though he's in CO now (Christy Krall and Lori Nichol are listed as his coaches). Of course, he might have to scratch from one or both, depending on the status of his programs.

17. Sylvia

Cool! I was going to start a general information thread for U.S. club competitions this weekend in the Kiss and Cry section, actually! ;)

18. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

The prelim schedule doesn't give times, but do you have any idea when the senior men have typically gone in the past? I'm taking a huge all-day boards exam the 17th but catching a sneak peak at Chan might help my brain recover.

19. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Senior Men is usually in the middle of the aftn - around 2 to 4 or so. The final schedule should be available about 3 weeks before the comp.

20. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

And I don't know where to put this, but someone elsewhere said there's going to be a Skate Canada presser in Victoria next week, with JoRo & Cynthia in attendance. Infer what you will from that.

(And Sylvia, I look forward to upcoming news re: SkateDetroit entrants too. :))